Help planning a transatlantic cruise

I am hoping some of the more seasoned cruisers can help me. For our 20th anniversary in 2010, we are planning a trip to Paris followed by another transatlantic cruise (from somewhere) back to the US via a southern route. While we thoroughly enjoyed our 1st northern crossing onboard the Celebrity Constellation, I am planning a surprise upgrade to a luxury cruise line and have some questions. As you can see, all our past cruises have been on ships ranging from the 47,000 ton Carnival Celebration to the 100,000 ton Carnival Destiny. We definitely will not cruise on any ship with the 3000+ crowds that take away from a true ‘cruise’ experience. At 50/55, we are at a point where pampering is greatly appreciated when we just cruise together, though Carnival is nice when we travel with our 4 kids. To relax, enjoy the serenity of sea days, meet new friends from around the world and live life once in awhile as an escape from reality is what we are looking for.

With that in mind, I have narrowed our choices to the Regent Navigator 33,000 ton, 490 guests, or the 208 passenger Seabourn Legend (perhaps the Odyssey would be available). What’s it really like on a small ship? Our transatlantic on the Constellation encountered a couple days of 30+ foot waves, so what could we expect? We don’t get seasick, but am concerned about a ship 1/3 the size of the Constellation. Our trip would be NOT be in April or May, but later in the year and am looking for when those itineraries would be available to view.

Thank you for all your help, as on our last cruise we met hundreds of people on line and were able to meet several couples for dinner before and during our trips. Cruisers are a very special group.

Hi,

We did the transatlantic aboard Regent Voyager last November, starting in MonteCarlo and ending in Ft lauderdale. People that only did the TA portion boarded in Funchal (Madeira) for 8 sea days. The voyager carries only 700 people and is bigger that the Navigator , but not huge by any means. I ahve cruised on both , Navigator and Voyager and like both.

Regarding activities on sea days, it seems there is always something going on: trivia, bingo, lectures, dance classes (those were a lot of fun!), etc. If you are like me and like to laze around on deck , reading a good book, and enjoying good weather( which we had), the sea days will go very fast.

the 2010 schedules are not out yet so I don't know what they have planned for the Navigator. This year the Navigator is not doing the classic TA coming from the Med but from Africa. In 2009 it's back to teh regular TA from the Med. The Regent 2009 itineraries were available late 2007, which was much earlier that in prior years.

I can't comment regarding Seabourn as I have never cruised on their ships. But I would do a TA on Navigator or Voyager with no reservations. They are both lovely ships, with great big cabins and excellent service.

With that in mind, I have narrowed our choices to the Regent Navigator 33,000 ton, 490 guests, or the 208 passenger Seabourn Legend (perhaps the Odyssey would be available). What’s it really like on a small ship? Our transatlantic on the Constellation encountered a couple days of 30+ foot waves, so what could we expect? We don’t get seasick, but am concerned about a ship 1/3 the size of the Constellation. Our trip would be NOT be in April or May, but later in the year and am looking for when those itineraries would be available to view.

You might also want to consider Crystal. Their 2010 schedules aren't out yet, but they normally schedule two westbound fall repositioning cruises.

The first is 14 days in September on Crystal Symphony, Dover to the U.S. east coast, New York this year, Boston in '09. This one takes a northerly route and has several port calls. See Crystal's website for '08 and '09 itineraries, Voyage Nos. 8221 and 9221 respectively. When I did similar crossing a few years ago we had calm seas most of the way, with the exception of a rough day or two between Iceland and Greenland. I enjoyed it enough that I'm booked on 8221 this September.

The second crossing is normally 10 days, Crystal Serenity, Lisbon-Miami, mainly sea days. The two port calls are usually Ponta Delgada, Azores, and either Bermuda or Grand Turk. '08 and '09 voyages are 8327 and 9325, respectively. This cruise is normally one of their Value Collection voyages, so is considerably cheaper than the September crossing.

By the way, if you are not familiar with Crystal, the first digit of voyage number is year and second indicates ship, 2 for Symphony and 3 for Serenity.

Although both ships are larger than Regent's, I find them to be ideal. When full, Symphony carries 940 passengers, Serenity 1080, although she usually isn't full for the November crossing. Seas were the calmest I've sen on the Atlantic when I did this cruise last year, but I've also experienced 20 to 30 foot seas on the same route in the past.

Most Crystal cruises have themes, film and theater for the September crossing, big band and/or ballroom dancing in November. The Crystal website, CrystalCruises.com has a wealth of information, right down to the names of the dance hosts, but if I can answer any questions, either post them here or e-mail me.

Also, check the CC Member Review pages for reviews, including several I've posted in the past.

As you can probably guess, Crystal is now my favorite, although I'm seriously thinking about Regent's Rome-Funchal-Ft. Lauderdale crossing in '09

Although Navigator is a lovely ship, I think Voyager would be more fun on a crossing--just a little bigger, more lounges, more room, more dining options.

Sounds like a great idea, I'm thinking something big for 2010 too, but probably not the fall crossing, perhaps the spring crossing.

It really sounds like you are ready for a luxury cruise! Having sailed on all Regent ships, I would pick the Voyager over the Navigator for a transatlantic sailing (the Navigator would work if you selected a mid-ship suite on a lower deck).

While Crystal earns awards as a luxury cruise line (I am not questioning that fact), it does have "set" seating, does not include alcoholic beverages or tipping. Being on an all balcony ship (Voyager) -- going to any lounge you choose and enjoy your favorite cocktail (coffee, tea or softdrink) is really enjoyable.

You can dine at a table for 2 at lunch, a table for 8 at dinner, a table for 4 the next time. . . completely your decision. Or, perhaps you want to dine on your balcony with room service.

Silversea is also highly rated luxury cruise line -- just a bit smaller and is known for more formality. If this is your comfort level, perhaps you should consider Silversea.

Making a choice reminds me of the story of the Three Bears. You need to do a bit of research to find the one that is "just right";)

we are going on the azamara journey in dec. check it out. it is a branch of celebrity & upscale. they have a website. this is our 1st ta. we fly to barcelona & go to ports in italy, moroco, & the canary islands. this is our 1st cruise on a 600 passenger ship. no formal nites, open seating, butler for every cabin. good luck. ad

Archived