Diamonds International

yorky

I know the subject of buying from this company after it's been heavily promoted and guarantees given from Cunard has been well covered in the past.

However I wonder if anyone can help. We purchased jewelry in April as part of our honeymoon, things that we hoped to keep for a lifetime and one of the the Tansanite stones in the bracelet has dropped out and been lost. Of course we intend to contact Diamond international on Monday and are also covered by our home insurance but I also intend to contact Cunard as I also hold them responsible given they push the company and take a cut of the profits.

Has anyone had any joy from Cunard on this subject?

Many Thanks

I know the subject of buying from this company after it's been heavily promoted and guarantees given from Cunard has been well covered in the past.

However I wonder if anyone can help. We purchased jewelry in April as part of our honeymoon, things that we hoped to keep for a lifetime and one of the the Tansanite stones in the bracelet has dropped out and been lost. Of course we intend to contact Diamond international on Monday and are also covered by our home insurance but I also intend to contact Cunard as I also hold them responsible given they push the company and take a cut of the profits.

Many Thanks

Why is it that when something unfortunate happens there always has to be someone else to blame?

Many Thanks

I can't see how Cunard can be held responsible for goods purchased from a third party. You certainly have no contractual relationship with them in this context and I can't see how you could ascribe to them a duty of care in this respect. I may be wrong - and it might depend on what jurisdiction you bought the stuff in.

Even if you could prove a duty of care, you'd have to prove that they knew the stuff was substandard as well - how on earth can you do that?

Actually I agree with Jim - you're looking too hard to blame someone.

Occasionally, stuff (for want of a better word) happens. It's called life, and is the reason you buy insurance.

I can't see how Cunard can be held responsible for goods purchased from a third party. You certainly have no contractual relationship with them in this context and I can't see how you could ascribe to them a duty of care in this respect. I may be wrong - and it might depend on what jurisdiction you bought the stuff in.

Even if you could prove a duty of care, you'd have to prove that they knew the stuff was substandard as well - how on earth can you do that?

Actually I agree with Jim - you're looking too hard to blame someone.

Occasionally, stuff (for want of a better word) happens. It's called life, and is the reason you buy insurance.

Very true. However the fact is that Cunard make money from pushing this company on a quality aspect and since returning I have read report after report stating problems with the quality of some of their goods be it faulty settings, to the quality and real value of the stones.

You purchase insurance to cover you for mishaps, not for faulty goods.

If Cunard had nothing to gain then fine but they do gain in a very big way with this relationship and as such have a responsibility in my book for the way they conduct themselves.

As you say stuff happens, I broke two fingers in a fall a year ago, now that's life.

We (Lois) have purchased a number of jewelry items from Diamonds International. As with all such purchases, when we get home, we go to a reputable local jeweler and have them appraised for insurance. We have always been pleasantly surprised at the valuation. Also, they inspect the settings and, as with all fine jewelry, it is wise to pay a jeweler every year or so to re check the settings. Real gold is soft. One trip in the crazy Cancun airport, Lois looked down after going through the crush at security and a nice emerald cut emerald had left its solitary setting. I wonder if Cunard or even Continental Airlines might get us another???

We (Lois) have purchased a number of jewelry items from Diamonds International. As with all such purchases, when we get home, we go to a reputable local jeweler and have them appraised for insurance. We have always been pleasantly surprised at the valuation. Also, they inspect the settings and, as with all fine jewelry, it is wise to pay a jeweler every year or so to re check the settings. Real gold is soft. One trip in the crazy Cancun airport, Lois looked down after going through the crush at security and a nice emerald cut emerald had left its solitary setting. I wonder if Cunard or even Continental Airlines might get us another???

Not sure, do Continental have a partnership and make money on the back of Diamonds International.?

In all seriousness this is a stone that has come out without any sort of pressure after eight weeks which does not say a lot about the workmanship. It would be fine if this was an isolated incident but it's not given other reports. I now know that the settings used are of very poor quality.

Thanks for the responses I will pop across to another forum.

Many Thanks

I don't believe your homeowners policy will cover it at all unless it's a theft of the entire bracelet, not just losing a stone. Even if you have it specifically scheduled on your policy it doesn't cover that as far as I remember. And, it would be subject to your policy deductible which is probably $500.

I don't believe your homeowners policy will cover it at all unless it's a theft of the entire bracelet, not just losing a stone. Even if you have it specifically scheduled on your policy it doesn't cover that as far as I remember. And, it would be subject to your policy deductible which is probably $500.

We are actually covered, it helps when the wife is a bank manager for our insurer. Given it was a spur of the moment thing because of the occasion it's more of a let down but hopefully my fears are proven to be wrong and it's just one poor setting.

i would just contact Diamonds International and see what response u get before you move onto Cunard, you might be pleasantly surprised. I cant see why people on here gets so defensive about Cunard, some are just plain rude as i have seen in other threads.

• 1 month later...
i would just contact Diamonds International and see what response u get before you move onto Cunard, you might be pleasantly surprised. I cant see why people on here gets so defensive about Cunard, some are just plain rude as i have seen in other threads.

Unfortunately David it also baffles me and it's something you don't see so much on other boards. One or two posters really do need to get a life rather than just posting to try and wind people up.

Why is it that when something unfortunate happens there always has to be someone else to blame?

You're answer is ludicrous and I think you are not at all educated in the diamond industry and my opinion of your comment is very low..

Diamonds International is somewhat similar to Walmart diamonds. As Johnny Cash would sing: They are everywhere man.....they are everywhere!

They are on every ship and line and IMHO are sleaze. They will not guarantee that these diamonds are from a non slave country.

If I want a diamond I go to a reputable jeweler in my city and make sure they are not BLOOD diamonds..

You're answer is ludicrous and I think you are not at all educated in the diamond industry and my opinion of your comment is very low..

Diamonds International is somewhat similar to Walmart diamonds. As Johnny Cash would sing: They are everywhere man.....they are everywhere!

They are on every ship and line and IMHO are sleaze. They will not guarantee that these diamonds are from a non slave country.

If I want a diamond I go to a reputable jeweler in my city and make sure they are not BLOOD diamonds..

Ah! Is the "Middle Class American Widow" trying to stir up some trouble on the Cunard Board?

It is probably because the obvious has not either been seen or mentioned. If you go to your local jewelry store and buy an item, should the landlord who owns the premises but not the business be accountable for what the jewelry store sells. After all, he is getting money for the sale of the jewelry in the form of rent. In much the same way as all shops on cruise ships operate. Cunard are not resposible for what Stern's sell or Chopard or any other store on the ship. Cunard receive effectively rent for companies to operate on their ships as does all cruise lines.

If as Yorky asserts, it came out after eight weeks without any pressure, I can only assume that it is lying in the tray next to whatever it fell from. I would glue it back in. Otherwise it has been lost at an unknown time and location, then who can honestly tell how and when that happened. Bit confused with diamonds and tanzanite mentioned in same sentence when there is no similarity whatsoever other than they both are found undergrounnd. But then so is the London Tube and Sewage. Just trying to help:p

If as Yorky asserts, it came out after eight weeks without any pressure, I can only assume that it is lying in the tray next to whatever it fell from. I would glue it back in. Otherwise it has been lost at an unknown time and location, then who can honestly tell how and when that happened. Bit confused with diamonds and tanzanite mentioned in same sentence when there is no similarity whatsoever other than they both are found undergrounnd. But then so is the London Tube and Sewage. Just trying to help:p

I don't see where they have been mentioned? it is a diamand and tanzanite bracelet but don't see that mentioned either.

I don't see where they have been mentioned? it is a diamand and tanzanite bracelet but don't see that mentioned either.

Hi Yorky,

Sorry to hear of your problem and hopefully this response might be helpful to you. Best option is to contact Diamonds Intl direct and if you do not get a favourable response from them, you could then ask Cunard to mediate for you.

A couple of years ago I sailed onboard QE2 with a couple on my table who had purchased a ring in Turkey (the store was recommended by Cunard) and discovered that evening that one of the stones was missing. They told me the shore excursion sales office was very helpful in arranging for the ring to be replaced or returned and refunded. I can't remember exactly now but they were thrilled with the response they got from Cunard. Mind you they were still onboard the ship when they discovered the problem so maybe that made a difference.

Such a disappointment to make a major purchase and find it's less than satisfactory.

Good luck.

Susanna

Hi Yorky,

Sorry to hear of your problem and hopefully this response might be helpful to you. Best option is to contact Diamonds Intl direct and if you do not get a favourable response from them, you could then ask Cunard to mediate for you.

A couple of years ago I sailed onboard QE2 with a couple on my table who had purchased a ring in Turkey (the store was recommended by Cunard) and discovered that evening that one of the stones was missing. They told me the shore excursion sales office was very helpful in arranging for the ring to be replaced or returned and refunded. I can't remember exactly now but they were thrilled with the response they got from Cunard. Mind you they were still onboard the ship when they discovered the problem so maybe that made a difference.

Such a disappointment to make a major purchase and find it's less than satisfactory.

Good luck.

Susanna

Thank you Susanna for your kind response and help. What a difference to certain other postings.

Archived