Question for all my fellow geeks out there:

thisislou

I would like to know if my "Magicjack" phone would work on my wireless laptop on the Emerald Princess.

Now since most of you don't know what I'm talking about,,,, I'll explain.

I have a unit that plugs into my usb port and a regular phone plugs into it. Then the combination is a phone hat will let me call anywhere in the US or Canada.

If I sit in the atrium and get wireless access, it should work.

Anyone have any opinions on this?

Thanks

Lou

We're no computer geeks but the idea sounds great. If you have Internet connection, why not? Our questions are:

Would the speed of the connection to the land based server be fast enough to maintain communication, and;

How long do you think a cruise line will allow phone calls @ 75 cents minute (free for Platinum and Elite) to compete with their $2.95/minute regular service?

But it's worth a try...

I would like to know if my "Magicjack" phone would work on my wireless laptop on the Emerald Princess.

Now since most of you don't know what I'm talking about,,,, I'll explain.

I have a unit that plugs into my usb port and a regular phone plugs into it. Then the combination is a phone hat will let me call anywhere in the US or Canada.

If I sit in the atrium and get wireless access, it should work.

Anyone have any opinions on this?

Thanks

Lou

I'd certainly bring it but based on what I'm hearing regarding internet speeds on most of the ships, I'd be willing to bet it would be slooooooow. The other thing to wonder about is does this unit rely on a certain port being open on a router or firewall in a setting like the cruise ship? Might be something to look into so you can be ready to troubleshoot if it doesn't work. Good luck with it though and let us know how it works.

Loos like the elite package now includes free wireless on some ships- this was just posted 2 days ago.

"Just completed a cruise on the Crown and platinum and elite credit can be applied not only to the internet cafe but also to wireless. They must have changed it recently, since on a Christmas cruise on the Island the credit was only applicable to the internet cafe."

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=788040&highlight=wireless+elite

If the unit relies on wireless internet access you will be hit or miss, and wireless minutes are not included in the plat/elite internet packages, only time in their internet cafe or library with their computers....

Loos like the elite package now includes free wireless on some ships- this was just posted 2 days ago.

"Just completed a cruise on the Crown and platinum and elite credit can be applied not only to the internet cafe but also to wireless. They must have changed it recently, since on a Christmas cruise on the Island the credit was only applicable to the internet cafe."

This was also true on my Sapphire Princess cruise in April/May, i.e., I could use my laptop and log into my Platinum/Elite Internet package.

I'm not a geek and have no idea how much bandwidth a phone call would take over the Internet but since all of the computers, both in the Internet cafe and wireless laptops, share the same bandwidth via satellite, you may or may not have issues with the bandwidth. Since you would be using your own laptop, firewall or the ship's modified version of I.E. wouldn't apply. It's worth trying but IMHO, it's just as easy to use a cell phone when you're in port. :)

I've been using my magicjack for about 7 months now and love it. I'd take it and give it a shot. The best that happens would be getting your LD phone service. The worst... it doesn't work.

The only issue I can think of would be the method the ship uses to hit the internet. I believe they use satellite, which could induce a rather large latency problem, and a delay in the time from what you say until you would get a response. Used to drive my wife crazy when I would call home from Israel and tried to carry on a conversation.

Take it and try it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained :D

symo

Not sure about how your setup works, but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work with mine. I have Sprint and broadband data service. I keep that year-round as a backup in case my dsl line goes out. Work from a home office and have to have a connection.

I can connect to the internet by either Bluetooth or USB through my phone. I've never seen anything, anywhere that leads me to believe that I could get phone service this way.

I could be wrong about all ths, and this is certainly worth trying. Please post back here and let us all know how it went. I'd be a happy camper if it did work!

Not sure about how your setup works, but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work with mine. I have Sprint and broadband data service. I keep that year-round as a backup in case my dsl line goes out. Work from a home office and have to have a connection.

I can connect to the internet by either Bluetooth or USB through my phone. I've never seen anything, anywhere that leads me to believe that I could get phone service this way.

I could be wrong about all ths, and this is certainly worth trying. Please post back here and let us all know how it went. I'd be a happy camper if it did work!

Hi

This unit is so basic - once turned on - it will work on any pc - just plug it in to a usb port. It will load the software needed. A screen will pop up with a key pad and your in business. It is not tied to a pc, it has the phone number tied to the unit,,, so if you were to take it to Japan - someone in the US can call your phone as a local call and you got it....

Wow! Thank you for that info - we just disembarked the Coral in mid-May and that wasn't the case, but it is great info! That answers the bring or not bring the laptop question - definitely it is always coming along!

For anyone interested, the website is:

http://www.magicjack.com/1/index.asp (although the website is obnoxious and only lacks Billy Mayes huckstering the device)

Magicjack is owned by Dan Borislow, who is the CEO of the telephone infrastructure company that owns the routers and servers. It does work. I use it for my daughter's exclusive phone line at home. That sure cut the cell minutes down and my wife talks to her family for hours at a time in South Dakota. Not bad for 20 bucks per year :D

symo

i actually used my magicjack on a princess cruise in the atrium area you are talking about. IT WORKED! it was very exciting. i took a headset with me. the frustrating part was that their internet connection stinks so sometimes it took a while to sign on to their service, which you prepay for. once you get online it is really cool. the connection was not as crystal clear as it normally is at home, but it was a lot better than paying the ship's exorbitant prices. have a great trip!

• 4 months later...

Well I'm happy to say - YES - Magicjack does work fine aboard ship

We are currently on the Emerald - I'm at the elite status on a ten day cruise - so I get 250 minutes and extar some (don't remenber how many ) for signing up the first day. Our room is on the Lido deck and I do not get WiFI from my room but 20 ft away on the deck - I do.

Connection is good so far and the Magicjack connects right away. There is a little bit of breaking up but overall it works great.

I was joking with the internet cafe people about setting up a station to sell cheap phone time to passengeres...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=788040&highlight=wireless+elite

The platinum/elite internet credot applied to wifi on the Tahitian in July. As I understand they are rolling that out fleet wide.

• 2 weeks later...
OK, so sorry if this is a really stupid question. What "regular" phone do you plug into the magic jack when on the ship. Is it the one that's in your cabin or? When at home, could you plug your fax machine into it? Thanks!

Regular phone would be like a corded phone with a RJ-11 plug (the part that plugs into the wall). I sometimes use something like a corded "Princess" style phone that I bought at Radio Shack for around $9. I didn't look at the jack on the cabin phone, but if it is a RJ-11, it should work.

MagicJack states on their web site that they do not support facsimile machines, but I've seen pleanty of reports in other forums dealing with MagicJack many people have successfully used the thing to fax with.

symo

I've been using my magicjack for about 7 months now and love it. I'd take it and give it a shot. The best that happens would be getting your LD phone service. The worst... it doesn't work.

The only issue I can think of would be the method the ship uses to hit the internet. I believe they use satellite, which could induce a rather large latency problem, and a delay in the time from what you say until you would get a response. Used to drive my wife crazy when I would call home from Israel and tried to carry on a conversation.

Take it and try it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained :D

symo

I concur. I am a techno geek and the satellite service will not provide the bandwidth and latency needed consistantly. I havent tried it myself and do not even know if there access points will allow that protocol. Bring a quad band gsm cell phone (world phone) just in case. That way you will have the best shot at getting service.

Archived