I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Awesome and I am getting excited. I guess my "Type A personality" is showing a little:)) I may be a little confused about the HOHO tours/canal tour combo. I can't seem to find any info regarding this combo anywhere on the internet. Can you guide me in the right direction? I am assuming I will need to purchase the hoho ticket in order try to take in as much as possible. I have my "want to see" list and I will share it with you and you can tell me if I am totally out of my mind:)))) You have been a wealth of knowledge. I so very very much appreciate the time you have taken in answering my 9000 questions:)) Sandra

I will be in Copenhagen for the Baltics Cruise on May 22, 2011. I just found out the Copenhagen Marathon is on May 22nd. The start and finish area is at Island Brygge by Langebro. I plan to run the marathon. I need to book a hotel for one night very close to the starting line within walking distance. I don't plan to drive or take any public transportation to the starting line.

Would you be able to recommend several hotel names of different price range and also whether it would include airport shuttle to the hotel?

I am planning on running the Copenhagen marathon first before heading to the Port for the Baltics Cruise on Vision of the Seas. How far (km) will it be to the port? There is a metro station on the Islands of Brygge . What is the simplest and fastest and hopefully the most economical way to get to the Port?

I will be in Copenhagen for the Baltics Cruise on May 22, 2011. I just found out the Copenhagen Marathon is on May 22nd. The start and finish area is at Island Brygge by Langebro. I plan to run the marathon. I need to book a hotel for one night very close to the starting line within walking distance. I don't plan to drive or take any public transportation to the starting line.

Would you be able to recommend several hotel names of different price range and also whether it would include airport shuttle to the hotel?

Go to booking.com to look at the hotels. It will show you all the choices in a map. Just pick the closest to the starting point in your price range. BTW, we use this website to book our hotels. Good deals and good customer reviews for the hotels.

Good luck in the Marathon. That's quite a way of controling your weight before the cruise!!!

I am planning on running the Copenhagen marathon first before heading to the Port for the Baltics Cruise on Vision of the Seas. How far (km) will it be to the port? There is a metro station on the Islands of Brygge . What is the simplest and fastest and hopefully the most economical way to get to the Port?

When you ask about "heading to the Port", it raises the question of which port your ship will be docked at. There are several areas where cruise ships dock. I assume your ship will be docked at Freeport or Langelinie. For the later port, the nearest S-train station is Østerport Station and it takes a 15 minutes walk to reach Langelinie. If you have much luggage, a cab would be a more time-efficient way to reach your ship. There is also the scenic and closer Nordre Toldbod port docking place that we used and love on July 1, 2010.

That specific Green/M1 Metro line station is located at 55° 39′ 48″ N, 12° 35′ 6.6″ E. You can use Google.com to see its exact positioning south of the main, central part of Copenhagen.

Personally, with so much wonderful to see and do in Copenhagen, I would get a hotel in the more central, established areas around and near the main rail station, Tivoli and City Hall. You will have many more options and maybe better pricing in that central area. For most towns with major marathons, the hotels do tend to get "slammed" with heavy demand with all of the runners and their family/friends in town. That Island Brygge Metro station is about two and a half to three miles south of the Langelinie port boarding point.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 28,000 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel is located close to Islands Brygge.

The prices for one night between the 21th and 22th of may are 895 DKK and 1095 DKK with breakfast.

But the best way is not to take the metro to the ship because the Island Brygge metro station is not actually located in Islands Brygge but next to.

Instead take bus 5A from the hotel to Vesterport station (heading for Husum Torv) and then take a S-train to Nordhavn station (heading for Klampenborg, Holte Hillerød and/or Farum) and walk from there.

This trip takes 37 minutes including the walking time from the hotel to the bus and from Nordhavn to the cruise pier and the price is 23 dkk.

Bus 5A is heading for the airport in the opposite direction so that would be your logical airport shuttle

There is also hotel Copenhagen, Islands brygge and there prices on that date is from 595 DKK but with shared bathrooms.

With own bathrooms the price is 1095 DKK

Hi

I figured i may as well ask you as an expert to help with my trip. We are arriving at Langere Pier ( i know i spelled that wrong) early morning on May 3. We will need to get to Wake up Copenhagen where we are booked for one night to drop off our luggage. Then we are catching a flight out the next day at 17:00. My husband and i realize we wont have time to see much but are not so interested in museums as we are to just see the city itself. Any suggestions for the trip and advice to get to our hotel?

Thanks

OH MY:))) Thanks for the information, I love it.. I need to take time and just write down everything I would love to see and work on the time factor. I believe the Little Mermaid is back from China? I do know at this point we want to go by the Rosenborg Castle, take a canal ride, Tivoli Gardens, shop for Amber, check out the Amalienborg Palace at noon, Gammel Strand, Christianborg palace, The old stock Exchange and Hotel 27 ice bar. I know I left something out. Since we are staying in Frederiksberg the day before the cruise, I hope we won't be too "jet lagged" to check out Frederiksberg Castle. My hubby and I need to be very organized to see as much as we can. Thank you so much again for your help and expertise)) Sandra

Hi Sandra

Maybe there's a bit more information for your 'file' in this

Good luck with the whole trip

Tony

Hi I figured i may as well ask you as an expert to help with my trip. We are arriving at Langere Pier ( i know i spelled that wrong) early morning on May 3. We will need to get to Wake up Copenhagen where we are booked for one night to drop off our luggage. Then we are catching a flight out the next day at 17:00. My husband and i realize we wont have time to see much but are not so interested in museums as we are to just see the city itself. Any suggestions for the trip and advice to get to our hotel? Thanks

Tell us more on what types of museums are most seeking? Art? History? How flexible is your budget? By taking a cab, you can save some time dealing with your luggage, getting to your key place quicker in order to move to the "Main Events" in Copenhagen.

You can see lots in Copenhagen in a day or so. You'll love it!!! There have been lots of other posts on this board with key info and visuals on Copenhagen, including at the start of my post noted below when we saw Tivoli at night. Beautiful!!! Below are two of my picture samples.

Here are a couple of other suggestions to help you and other future travelers. FIRST, scroll back through all of the earlier postings. You will see many different items on ports you would visit and/or at the board for each separate cruise line in planning for your upcoming cruise. SECOND, do a search on these boards by each city and you will see lots of postings on various subjects connected with each port stop. Then, after taking the time to get that background, see other experiences, etc., you can post with specific questions in each port city. Be sure to have a title that is narrow to your question so that other can know what you are seeking. There are lots and lots of great people and information here on these boards. Don't be shy in asking follow-up questions. Folks are happy to share more when they know what you are seeking and background on your timing, cruise ship, travel party, personal interests and travel style, etc.

Also check out this posting:

Copenhagen: Why Walking Back to the Ship Is Super Great!!!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=975779

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 28,000 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

Tivoli looks so special at night with its famed building designs, water features, gardens, flowers, rides, people, entertainment, etc.:

TivoliJapHseLake.jpg

Here is one of Tivoli’s most unique buildings “showing off” with its covering of spectacular lighting. Thomas Edison would be proud!

TivoliOrientNight.jpg

i am not really interested in museums just the sights. Not enough time to do it all,The pictures were beautiful and will hopefully have time to get everything in. Will take your advise and start going through the older posts. I liked the idea as well for walking from the cruise dock. If the weather is nice great idea but if not will just take a cab. It is certainly exciting to see pictures of Copenhagen it looks like nothing i have ever seen. Thanks for the tips and I will keep checking for any other advise. How much would a cab ride be to Wakeup Copenhagen? My budget is not very restrictive but I dont want to go overboard either.

Thanks

Many of us here have enjoyed this magnificent city. it is so picturesque, and very easy to walk around in. We contacted their tourist site and asked for maps and brochures and they sent us a great street map of Copenhagen with several wonderful walking tours. Most of the major sights are within a mile or so radius, and walking to and from them, you discover so many wonderful things. Part of our great experience in Copenhagen, we were walking back to the ship from Rosenborg Castle, and we went thru a park. It was a Sunday and so many families were out enjoying the great weather. We stopped to have an ice cream and started talking with several of the people there. So friendly people and we all enjoying sharing some time together.

Here are a few more pix of this magnificent city

Not far from Langeline pier are many statues and flowers

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe221.jpg

Also, a short walk from the pier is Copenhagen's most famous lady, the Little Mermaid

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe218.jpg

A short walk from there you enter Nyhavn, probably the most colorful section of Copenhagen

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster248.jpg

Walking towards Town hall square, you should walk thru the Stroget, a sort of pedestrian mall of about 5-6 streets.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster285.jpg

In Town Hall Square, you find Tivoli gardens along with Copenhagen's Town Hall which you can tour if you like

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe326.jpg

On walking back towards the ship, we came across this wondefful church set in a magnificent setting

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe353.jpg

Hope you enjoy

Cheers

Len

thank you for great info on your city. we are cruising out of copenhagen 7/29. we are booked at the square hotel 2 nights precruise. you may have answered this question but i did not find it in this tread. what is the best way to get from the airport to the hotel. we are in our early 70s and in good shape but not crazy about taking luggage on pulbic transportation. how easy is it to get a van or cab at the airport and what should we know about payment, are us dollars ok if so how much? if we need danish money for the cab are auuto bank machines available at the airport and again what amount will we require? do most places in copenhagen accept us credit cards and dollar? thank you for all your kind replies. anyone who has been to copenhagen and can reply, thank you.

ray

thank you for great info on your city. we are cruising out of copenhagen 7/29. we are booked at the square hotel 2 nights precruise. you may have answered this question but i did not find it in this tread. what is the best way to get from the airport to the hotel. we are in our early 70s and in good shape but not crazy about taking luggage on pulbic transportation. how easy is it to get a van or cab at the airport and what should we know about payment, are us dollars ok if so how much? if we need danish money for the cab are auuto bank machines available at the airport and again what amount will we require? do most places in copenhagen accept us credit cards and dollar? thank you for all your kind replies. anyone who has been to copenhagen and can reply, thank you. ray

Hi to neighboring Ray from Penn. In late June 2010, we did the cab ride from the Copenhagen airport to The Square Hotel. Very easy to get the cab and a simple, not-too-long ride into the city by cab. Don't remember the exact taxi cost, but as I re-call, they took credit cards, etc. In the Copenhagen airport, they have lots of nice features. Many of the floors are wood which gives things an interesting and "warm" feel than they typical, boing flooring in such terminal places. That airport is not too far away from the main downtown and we got to see some of the sights as we came into the city. It was all smooth and efficient. Love Copenhagen!!!

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 28,250 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

your recommendation of the square hotel was one of the reason we changed from a hotel recommended by cruise one. that hotel was about a mile from the square. i have read of a problem in demark with us bank credit and debit cards. is there a problem? we usually find a mac machine and get local money before leaving the airport or cruise terminal. once again thanks for your advise.

ray

your recommendation of the square hotel was one of the reason we changed from a hotel recommended by cruise one. that hotel was about a mile from the square. i have read of a problem in demark with us bank credit and debit cards. is there a problem? we usually find a mac machine and get local money before leaving the airport or cruise terminal. once again thanks for your advise. ray

We didn't have any credit card problems in late June and early July 2010 in Copenhagen. I didn't use an ATM for local currency, but we did used my credit card for taxi's, food, hotel, etc. Since we were only going to be in Denmark for a limited time, I didn't want or need to get local currency. It all worked fine for us. Clearly, these things are always changing and evolving. In Norway, where we got local currency with my debit card, things worked fine without a card having a chip. That was a few months ago.

Glad you've got a reservation at the handy The Square Hotel. Hope this helps.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 28,300 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

thanks for your replies. back a number of pages i was reading about a required 4 digit pin number. i had no idea what they were talking about. like you i use plastic every place that will accept it. we do always get a little "walk around local money", to use for small purchases. thanks again. ray

I have read that the need for encoded PIN numbers on credit cards still is very uncommon, mostly a problem in unmanned situations such as automated car parks exits or train station ticket booths. I use my (no fee) Capitol One Master Card often during my annual European vacation travels (see below for my recent destinations) for meals and purchases and have not yet experienced any problems.

Like Pam said, you should not experience any problems with a regular CC from home, unless you want to do something from a machine, like buy tickets etc. They usually will not accept a card without a pin. In most other places, from shops, to restaurants, to even taxi's, they will accept cards with no pins. I've heard, that will change in the future, but as of now, you are good to go.

Also, just to confirm what Pam said, many CC charge a foreign transaction fee, up to 3% of the purchase. Cards like the CapitalOne card do not charge any fees.

Cheers

Len

I always use a card with pincode because we don´t have others in Denmark, so i don´t know how it works without one.

But if you can get your hands on a card with a pincode, you will be on the safe side.

I think that most touristic places can handle your card, but a good example is that the train ticket counter at the airport no longer accepts cards without a pin. But they have done so in the past so i´m thinking that it is changing so more and more places only uses pin cards but i´m not sure.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to get public transport from dock to the Outdoor Folk Museum and Brede Works? From info I've seen, these would be neat to see on our port call in copenhagen this summer. We are there for an overnight.

Ev

yeah the eagles lost today. pam thanks for the tip about capital one having no exchange rate. i always use my cabela's visa because its low 1%. we have a capital one card and will use it to save a percent. i still having a problem understanding the chip and 4 diget pin number. is the pin number the same as the one i use at mac machine to get cash or when usinging it as a debit card.

The four digit PIN number is the same one you use at home to get cash from an ATM. It is four digits - we have used it in ATM machines around the world. Make sure you call your bank before you leave and tell them where you are going. If not, they may block the use after your first withdrawal, which can be quite problematic. Same with your credit cards.

thanks for clearing up the matter. we have used that 4 diget number in a couple of dozen countries without a problem. however the way it was being talked about for demark had me wondering. we would be in serious trouble if we could not use our debit and credit cards when out of the country. we always notify 2 or 3 cards with the lowest exchange rate. thanks for your reply.

@ mescat4

Sorry for not seeing your post before now.

To get to Brede works you will have to take S-train Line B towards Holte and get off at Jægersborg Station.

It takes 19 minutes from København H (Central Station) to Jægersborg and line B goes every 10th minute in the daytime monday to friday and every 20th minute in the evening and on sundays.

From Jægersborg to Brede Station you will have to take Nærumbanen and that trip takes 6 minutes but it only goes every 20th minute.

So you have to take the train from København H at at XX:17, XX:37 and XX:57 to reach the Nærumbanen departure.

Brede Works and Frilandsmuseet (outdoor museum) is located at the same complex so when you get home you either just take the Nærumbanen From Fuglevad Station (one station before Brede) or walk to Sorgenfri Station at take a S-train line B towards Høje Taastrup and get off at København H.

http://map.krak.dk/m/IiUE5

Finally I think I have read enough info. to make a potential plan for our visit to Copenhagen. I would like to get some input from all the experts for the best way to carry out our visit prior to the cruise. We'll arrive to Copenhagen on Friday at 2 pm by Air, has a full day on Saturday & up to 3 pm on Sunday. We'll probably stay at Hotel bethel.

The following things are what we're interested to do & see:

Strøget

Tivoli

Canal tour

Rosenborg Castle

Amalienborg Castle

Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek

The Resistance Museum

The Round Tower

May be LEGO "land" /the Zoo,The National Museum

A question about the 10 trip train card: is it count by the number of stamps with no / limit expiration date?

If we just want to buy the train tickets from the Airport to central station (or wherever the station to get to the hotel) when we arrive, get a 24 hours CPH card for the 1st evening to Tivoli, then go to the Castles the next day. Walk most of the other time. Buy train/bus ticket from the city to pier on departure day. We're (2 adults & 1 youth). What's the best (combination) way to purchase our train tickets?

What's the most logical way to see the things that we want to see on our list with time that we have in the city?

I know that's a lot of info. to ask for. I hope I have made myself clear with my plan. I'm the sole planner for the trip & I'm very challenge with my directions. I kind of got info. overload from this forum, so I would very appreciate any helps I can get from all of you. Thanks a million!;)

Lynn

Archived