I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

We stayed at the Imperial Hotel. Rema 1000 and Netto were in the area, and there are 7-11's everywhere. The groceries near the central station do not stock the variety and quantity of US supermarkets. I did not find anything specifically labeled low-sodium though. We bought some fruit. bottled water and some fruit-filled cookies there, but that is about all. I left the US with unsalted nuts and granola bars stuck EVERYWHERE ... which got me through our trip.

Hi Joy2Day, thanks for the info. I can see that you had the same thoughts as me to fill up with salt free products....but I'm not sure these days what's allowed through customs and what is not.....I'm sure though I'm about to find out!:)

Sue

Do pharmacies sells such product, if yes there is a large pharmacy located on Vesterbrogade just across the central station.

Also on Vesterbrogade but a little bit further out there is a supermarked called Føtex that should have those items.

Rema 1000, Netto, Aldi, Fakta, Lidl and similar chains are socalled discount markets so they have a limited amount of "special" items.

The supermarkets to look out for is Føtex, Kvickly, Bilka, Superbrugsen, Superbest and Irma.

Hi Danish Viking, Thanks for the info. at least now I know what names to look out for and where.

Sue

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere here before, but can I just buy a Copenhagen Card at the airport when I arrive and not date/ activate it until I return from my cruise ? I would like to use it immediately to get back from the Cruise Terminal to my hotel and then around Copenhagen.

Think I read somewhere that the card is validated when I write the time and date on it, so will they sell me a blank card at the airport ?

Thanks.

I have read that you have to do something (stamp?) to the Copenhagen Card when you first use the card to activate it. We plan on using the card for the Metro from the airport to the hotel.

Can you explain where you buy the card is it at the airport or Metro and what you need to do after buying the card.

Do pharmacies sells such product, if yes there is a large pharmacy located on Vesterbrogade just across the central station.

Also on Vesterbrogade but a little bit further out there is a supermarked called Føtex that should have those items.

Rema 1000, Netto, Aldi, Fakta, Lidl and similar chains are socalled discount markets so they have a limited amount of "special" items.

The supermarkets to look out for is Føtex, Kvickly, Bilka, Superbrugsen, Superbest and Irma.

DV, that is a very nice and helpful pharmacy. We made good use of it before and after our cruise. For low-sodium products, those are usually specialty food products. Even in US supermarkets, there are often limited types and quanties!!!

Joy2Day, we will be staying at the Imperial August 5-9. How long a walk is it to and from Central Station, and are there many flights of stairs that would make it difficult to manage a carryon on and a medium size bag? There will be the two of us so wonder if a taxi would work better.

Danish Viking, good to see you around again, your information has been invaluable.

Thank you all . . .

From the central station, it is a 3-4 block walk. The walk itself was easy, but he sidewalks are rougher than we are used to. Another option is to transfer to the S-Tog line (I think you go up and down an escalator). From there, you can travel 1 stop in the same direction. That puts you directly across the street from the hotel.

The only time we paid for a taxi in Copenhagen was to go to the airport at the end of our stay. We decided to splurge on a taxi. When we arrived at the airport, our flight was cancelled, so the airline paid for the taxis to and from the hotel that night.

Hi Joy2Day, thanks for the info. I can see that you had the same thoughts as me to fill up with salt free products....but I'm not sure these days what's allowed through customs and what is not.....I'm sure though I'm about to find out!:)

Sue

As I remember, the pre-packaged foods were not an issue on customs. My low-sodium airline meals on SAS were okay (except that I'd developed a salmon allergy about a month before we left). We flew overnight. Ou My 1st meal was salmon. The 2nd meal was tofu, a tomato, and a green bean/red bean salad.

My biggest challenge was at the end of the trip. My food stash was pretty low. Our flight home was cancelled and we were rescheduled on a different airline, so I was not able to order a low-sodium meal from them. Then we landed in Chicago for a 8-hour layover that turned into 12 hours. Be sure to save back something for the flight home, just in case.

yes the date is blank when you purchase it and you have to write the date yourself.

It is only the klippekort and citypass that needs to be validated in the yellow boxes that I don't know the name of :-D

Thank you very much Danish Viking.:)

@ firsttimeruk

Its Orientkaj in the Freeport terminal and if you are interested in the location you can look it up here.

http://www.cmport.com/Ships%20in%20Port/Cruise%20Ships/Download%20Cruise%20Lists.aspx

@ dakacz

Yes bus number 26 will take you from both Langelinie pier and Freeport terminal to Amalienborg but not from the freeport terminal in the weekends and public holidays.

From Nordre Toldbod you can walk to the castle.

I am really disappointed we are out at Freeport. We were just going to stroll past the Little Mermaid and then to Nyhaven. Now we will have to sort out the bus.( which I assume will be accessible) Where can I find a timetable and route map for the No. 26. I have been on a few sites which are of no help. Thanks

Movia is the bus transport provider in the greater Copenhagen area so movia.dk is the place and also rejseplanen.dk that also has the timetables for S-train, train and metro.

But remember that the Freeport is not served by bus 26 on weekends and public holidays and that on the way back to the pier the bus line splits up after Østerport, one part to Langelinie pier and the other departures to Færgehavn Nord Where the Freeport terminal is located.

Just curious: I was in Copenhagen when I was a kid. (Father was in Foreign Service and stationed in Bonn, Germany). Do Danes pronounce the end of the city's name like "Hague" or similar to "Tallinn"??

Also, is there anywhere interesting to walk to/around by the Marriott (sorry, hope there aren't two, but if so, I can tell you it's very near the water, if that helps!)?

The hagen part of the name should be pronounced like haegen, but the Germans however put alot of pressure on the letter a so its pronounced like haahgen.

We Danes however just call it København :-)

And there is only one Marriott hotel in town and its located behind Tivoli, The National Museum and Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek and you can also walk along the harbour.

Hello! We are visiting Copenhagen for the day via cruise ship... would any of these places carry a 6-pack or 12-pack of Sprite, or 7-up, or Fanta or something along those lines??

Thank you!

Those are regular brands in Denmark but yet again the supermarkets have a greater variety.

Thank you for this information. I recently read a Baltics Cruise review that said they were unable to find any type of cokes/sodas/fizzydrinks/etc at ANY Baltic port for their entire cruise and they searched and searched. I just couldn't imagine...

Do you know where a supermarket might be in relation to the cruise port??

Now I´m guessing but i think that you will be at the Freeport terminal but the only supermarket close to the freeport terminal is Aldi next to Nordhavn station and a 7 Eleven kiosk at Nordhavn Station.

Irma at Østerport station is probably the best option.

Now I´m guessing but i think that you will be at the Freeport terminal but the only supermarket close to the freeport terminal is Aldi next to Nordhavn station and a 7 Eleven kiosk at Nordhavn Station.

Irma at Østerport station is probably the best option.

Excellent Info! Thank you!!

Archived