I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

...and here is some additional information. I got this at http://www.copenhagenpictures.dk/mermaid.html

Guide tip: The Little Mermaid will be travelling and away from her usual location between April 2010 and February 2011 - she will be at the Danish pavillion at the World Fair in Shanghai, China. However, the sculptor Edvard Erichsen made 2 identical Little Mermaids, one of which is in the posession of his family, and Little Mermaid no. 2 will be on display in Tivoli Gardens while her sister is in Shanghai. To see The Little Mermaid between April 2010 and February 2011 go to Tivoli Gardens during its summer and Halloween opening hours in 2010.

Thank you for posting this information. I have taken the liberty of copying your posting into our TA/Baltic forum with the credit given to you. Since the Little Mermaid is such a huge tourist draw, wonder why the government decided to take this statue to China. Oh well, might actually getting a better view of the family's statue at Tivoli. What's important is the sculptors work and if one is still able to see that, it probably does really matter whether it is in the harbour or not. Again, thanks for the information.

Sandy :)

This thread has been very helpful in planning our stay in Copenhagen from July 9 until our ship leaves on the 11th. I have read this entire thread!! My DH and I will be staying at The Square. We are able bodied and fit in our late 20's/early 30's. Our flight doesn't come into Copenhagen until 1500 on Friday July 9th. Friday after we get to our hotel we probably only have time for Boat canal tour, walking around Stroget, Nyhavn, and Tivoli.

Saturday

Fredericksborg-train for 45 min.

Amalienborg Palace

Rosenborg Castle

Round Tower

Our Saviors Church

walking tour with Rick Steves Scandinavia book

On Sunday I would like to walk around Dyrehaven before going back to our hotel and checking out at noon and heading to our ship at Freeport.

Do you think that this is a doable iterinerary? Is there anything that I am missing? I would like to listen to some jazz while we are there as well, maybe Saturday night.

Any ideas will be very helpful. Thank you for taking your time to help us tourists!!

@ cactuscruiser

I will only recommend taking to Odense and Aarhus if you rent a car, because that the train will take around 4 hours to each destination.

It takes 2:23 hours to Odense and 2:36 to Aarhus according to Viamichelin so a little bit less in real time.

Berlin takes 1 hour more at 3:31 hours.

@ nationaltreasure79

If you take the S-train to Frederiksborg Castle just make sure that you will first be around Copenhagen after noon because the Castle first open at 10:00 and you should allow yourself atleast 1 or 1,5 hour inside but also at the garden outside.

A good plan is to take a "early" train at 08:25 from the central station (S-train line E to Hillerød).

There is just under 1 mile (1,4 km) from the train station too the castle and it include a nice walk trough Hillerød town center and the lake surrounding the castle.

It will leave you at the castle 30-40 minutes before the castle opens, you can also take bus number 701 and 702 from the station but that is only 3 minutes shorter than walking.

The S-train for Hillerød depart from Central station at xx:05, xx:25 and xx:55

But since you stay at The Square, the more obvious choice is to take the train from Vesterport where the train departs at xx:06, xx:26 and xx:46.

Vesterport is located closer to your hotel and 1 stop closer to Hillerød.

On the way back to Copenhagen you can cath a bus from just outside the castle (or walk).

The bus is route 702 that drives from almost outside the main gate it drives towards Egedammen but it is in the direction of the train station.

The bus gives you 6 minutes to change to a S-train back to Copenhagen, if you take the bus at 11:30 you will be back in Copenhagen at 12:21

The timetable is here (Lørdag = Saturday) this is only the direction from the castle at to Hillerød station.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/koreplaner/sogeresultat/afgangstider/Pages/AfgangsTider.aspx?line_direction_gid=9012200070210000&stop_gid=9025200000006769

On the way home the saturday rush hour traffic has kicked in at 10:22 and the S-train now departs every 10 minute from Hillerød towards Copenhagen at xx:02, xx:12 and so on.

Back in Copenhagen you can get off at Nørreport and easily walk to Rosenborg and Later on Amalienborg but remember that Rosenborg will close at 17:00 and Amalienborg at 16:00.

If i was you i will skip the Round Tower and Our Saviors Church and take them on your strolling tour on strøget on friday.

After all the castles and museums i would take the short walk from Amalienborg to Nyhavn and take a canaltour and then a nice dinner at one of the many restaurants on Nyhavn.

I do like the sunday initiary to the deer garden :-)

When you are at the deer garden promise me to take a look at the worlds oldest amusement park "Bakken" located inside the Huuuge Deer park, there is a free entrance so just soak up the atmosphere.

The deer park is well served with trains by the nearby Klampenborg Station where both S-trains and Öresund trains departs to and from Copenhagen and Nivå in the other direction.

you can either walk from the hotel to the central station and take the Öresund train heading for Nivå and get off at Klampenborg, do not take the Öresund train heading for Helsingør/Elinore because it bypass Klampenborg.

The train goes at xx:08 xx:28 and xx:48.

Or you can walk to Vesterport and take the S-train line C its both a shorter walk and a station closer to Klampenborg.

But the S-train stops at 5 stops more than the Öresund trains (if you count from central station) but it only takes 2 minutes more if you take it from Vesterport instead of the central station.

The S-train Line C goes at xx:10, xx:30 and xx:50

But also from from the central station at xx:09, xx:29 and xx:49.

On the way back to Copenhagen the Öresund trains goes from Klampenborg at xx:14, xx:34 and xx:54 and the S-train line C goes at xx:16, xx:36 and xx:56

The trips takes around 25 minutes including the walk to/from the hotel

If others are reading this remember that this is the Saturday and Sunday schedules that i posted here.

If you are in Copenhagen on Mondays to fridays there will be more frequent trains and also on saturdays, but more reduced.

@ toomuchtan

3 zones is valid for 1 hour but if you are smart you can stamp it after each 15 minutes so you will gaine 15 minutes more on your card.

If your train departs at 15:17 you simply just stamp it at 15:16 so your card is valid from 15:30.

If it was stamped anytime between 15:01 and 15:15 it will be valid from 15:15.

Danish Viking - you gave such detailed information on a visit to the Frederiksborg Castle!

We will be visiting Copenhagen on Wednesday, May 26, 2010 and are interested in trying to visit both the Frederiksborg Castle and the Kronborg Castle (we have previously spent time in central Copenhagen). Is this doable between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.? If yes, can you provide the route by bus or train? thank you,

Sharon

I just borrowed the first part of the other post :)

If you take the S-train to Frederiksborg Castle just make sure that you will first be around Copenhagen after noon because the Castle first open at 10:00 and you should allow yourself atleast 1 or 1,5 hour inside but also at the garden outside.

A good plan is to take a "early" train at 08:25 from the central station (S-train line E to Hillerød).

There is just under 1 mile (1,4 km) from the train station too the castle and it include a nice walk trough Hillerød town center and the lake surrounding the castle.

http://map.krak.dk/m/M4ajK this is the walking route from the station in Hillerød to Frederiksborg Castle.

When you get to Kronborg Castle just take the bus number 701 from Klostervej just outside the gates of Frederiksborg Castle at 11:40.

The sign on the bus will say Kongens Vænge, ATP-huset, but you will get off at Hillerød Station.

Now you have 14 minutes to change to lokalbanen heading for Helsingør/Elsinore this train departs at 12:00 at arrives at 12:28.

From here you can see the castle and it takes 15-20 minutes to walk along the harbour front.

You can take a train back from Helsingør to either Østerport that is closest to the cruise terminals or Københagen H (the Central Station)

I will walk atleat 30 minutes before just to be sure to at the station at the right time.

15:15 that will arrive at Østerport at 15:54 and at the central station at 16:01

Or 15:35 that will arrive at Østerport at 16:14 and at the central station 16:21.

Danish Viking - thank you so much for a quick and detailed response. We will probably need to be back on the ship by 16:00 - 16:30, so this schedule is a little too close for my comfort. Can it be shortened or would you just recommend one castle and which one? thank you,

Sharon

Yes take the train at 14:55 thats arrive at 15:34 at Østerport.

It will give you 1,5 hour at Kronborg Castle, if you leave Kronborg at 14:30

And i must correct myself, the central station is called København H not Københagen H as i wrote before.

But is is a nice twist with danish and english name of Copenhagen or Copenhavn :)

I searched this thread but couldn't find any information about doing laundry in Copenhagen.

We have 2 days in port and I would like to find a "drop off" service or a do-it-yourself laundromat. I know about the Laundromat Cafe, but I am not sure it will meet our needs.

Can you help? Thanks!

This link will show you all the laundry´s in Copenhagen.

The first one Flexrens on Østerbrogade is located in the same part of town as the cruise terminals but you need a taxi because the walking distance is to long with all that laundry.

http://www.krak.dk/query?what=cs&customer_type=&search_word=vaskerier&geo_area=k%F8benhavn

I'm just starting to read this thread - backwards from last to first - and very impressed by the excellent information and generous spirit of contributors like Danish Viking.

I was a student at U of Købn in 1970-71 and have returned several times since then, with the last trip about 12 years ago. We're coming in for a couple of days in May prior to a Princess Cruise.

A few memories from 1970 - - -

Danish pastries!

Sitting on HC Anderson's lap at Rådhuspladsen for a photo (probably against the law then and now)

Walking Stroget from Rådhuspladsen to Kongen's Nutorv to buy a bright red hotdog from a polservahn.

(Window) Shopping at Magasin du Nord and Illums Bolighus

Admiring the new porcelein and the 'seconds' at Royal Copenhagen

Sidewalk cafes near the university and in little coves off Stroget

Seasonal visits to Louisiana Museum of Modern Art, followed by long waks through Dyrehaven to the hunting lodge and beyond.

I remember seeing amber and bog men at the National Museum and watching the King greet his subjects from the balcony of his palace.

The changing of the guards marching down Stroget (I actually dated one of the guards a few times!)

Going to the circus

Climbing up Det Runde Torn

The open air museum

Hamlet's Castle at Helsingør

Odense

Learning to properly pronounce rød grød med fløde

Nyhavn was rundown in the 70's and we were warned to stay away. Christiania was still a living museum of tiny yellow military quarters.

I remember a statue of a 'fish wife' . I adored that statue of Copenhagen's sturdy little fish wife. While the Little Mermaid was a fantasy, the fish wife represented history and reality.

I lived in Hvidovre and took the S-Tog to Copenhagen everyday. I wonder if the conductor still calls out the name of the next stop.

When I returned in the 80's with my husband and children, we stayed at Skovshoved, a delightful Inn, which is an easy bus ride to/from Copenhagen town. We toured the Carlsberg Brewery, went to the beach where everyone seemed to be topless and sometimes bottomless (men, too), had delicious meals at Bakken (frikadeller, potatoes, red cabbage), and introduced my children to the beauty of Dyrehaven. My little daughter was dressed in shorts and wandered off the path into a field of stinging nettle plants. They also enjoyed Tivoli, the HC Anderson statue, and the Little Mermaid.

I'm just starting to read this thread - backwards from last to first - and very impressed by the excellent information and generous spirit of contributors like Danish Viking.

I was a student at U of Købn in 1970-71 and have returned several times since then, with the last trip about 12 years ago. We're coming in for a couple of days in May prior to a Princess Cruise.

A few memories from 1970 - - -

Danish pastries!

Sitting on HC Anderson's lap at Rådhuspladsen for a photo (probably against the law then and now)

Walking Stroget from Rådhuspladsen to Kongen's Nutorv to buy a bright red hotdog from a polservahn.

(Window) Shopping at Magasin du Nord and Illums Bolighus

Admiring the new porcelein and the 'seconds' at Royal Copenhagen

Sidewalk cafes near the university and in little coves off Stroget

Seasonal visits to Louisiana Museum of Modern Art, followed by long waks through Dyrehaven to the hunting lodge and beyond.

I remember seeing amber and bog men at the National Museum and watching the King greet his subjects from the balcony of his palace.

The changing of the guards marching down Stroget (I actually dated one of the guards a few times!)

Going to the circus

Climbing up Det Runde Torn

The open air museum

Hamlet's Castle at Helsingør

Odense

Learning to properly pronounce rød grød med fløde

Nyhavn was rundown in the 70's and we were warned to stay away. Christiania was still a living museum of tiny yellow military quarters.

I remember a statue of a 'fish wife' . I adored that statue of Copenhagen's sturdy little fish wife. While the Little Mermaid was a fantasy, the fish wife represented history and reality.

I lived in Hvidovre and took the S-Tog to Copenhagen everyday. I wonder if the conductor still calls out the name of the next stop.

When I returned in the 80's with my husband and children, we stayed at Skovshoved, a delightful Inn, which is an easy bus ride to/from Copenhagen town. We toured the Carlsberg Brewery, went to the beach where everyone seemed to be topless and sometimes bottomless (men, too), had delicious meals at Bakken (frikadeller, potatoes, red cabbage), and introduced my children to the beauty of Dyrehaven. My little daughter was dressed in shorts and wandered off the path into a field of stinging nettle plants. They also enjoyed Tivoli, the HC Anderson statue, and the Little Mermaid.

What and where is the "fish wife" statue?

I'll find it, floridafolks. As I recall it was in an area that was historically a fish market. Maybe that's Nyhavn.... I'll do some leg-finger-work and find it. Any guesses, Viking?

Back in the 1970's there weren't a lot of statues to ordinary women. The Feminist movement (there was a group called "Red Stockings" in Denmark) was in it's infancy. It was nice to see a common woman honored.

"The monument to the fishwife was erected in 1940 and was sculpted by Christian Svejstrup Madsen. It commerates the fact that Gammel Strand was originally the site of Copenhagen fish market, and central to the commerce of the town. It was cold and unforgiving work for the women who sold the wares, and thus the monument depicts the traditional female fish hawker bundled up in thick in clothing to bear the wind and rain that so often afflicts Copenhagen. When the statue was erected there was still a market here, but now it is only the granite sculpture that remains to remind visitors of the reality of the past."

It's located on Gammel Strand in central Copenhagen across from Thorvaldsen's Museum.

Fish Wife = fiskerkone in Danish

Photos:

http://media.nowpublic.net/images//94/f/94fdb870167dfead3bc3ceb24b6fae60.jpg

http://media.nowpublic.net/images//c4/f/c4f4e3ceca0a9c896fd8bcbdb01ff59e.jpg

It's fun to take little detours off of the public streets, like Stroget. When you do, you'll find things that grab your attention. This little lady, all bundled up from the cold grabbed my heart during the winter of '70-71. She might not grab your's, but something will . Copenhagen is like that.

I thought of one more thing that our Danish hosts seemed to think was representative of their city - the Commedia dell'arte that has been performed at Tivoli for over a century - a pantomine with Harlequin, the ballerina Colombine, her father and Pierrot (the white-faced clown).

Archived