New Smoking rules on Qm2 implemented yet?

transatlantic fan

I guess I am mistaken, but I really believed that you people across the pond are not in favor of capital punishment.

PM,

I can't cite any hard evidence for this but I suspect that, if a referendum were to be held here tomorrow, there would probably be a majority in favour of restoring the death penalty for capital crimes.

However, I don't believe that there is any possibility this side of Hell freezing over that any government, of any political hue, would ever hold such a referendum, far less restore the death penalty in the event of a majority vote.

Jimmy

PM,

I can't cite any hard evidence for this but I suspect that, if a referendum were to be held here tomorrow, there would probably be a majority in favour of restoring the death penalty for capital crimes.

Jimmy

I agree with that !

I agree with that !

I don't see that anyone can reasonably disagree with the contention that were a referendum held tomorrow, that we would be back to judicial killing on Monday.

Doesn't mean that the policy is right, merely that there are lot of people who seem to accept that killing is acceptable.

I don't see that anyone can reasonably disagree with the contention that were a referendum held tomorrow, that we would be back to judicial killing on Monday.

Doesn't mean that the policy is right, merely that there are lot of people who seem to accept that killing is acceptable.

An eye for an eye.

Pedant Alert

A capital crime is one that carries the death penalty. There is no capital crime currently known to English and Welsh law. I believe that the same is true of Scottish Law as well, as well as Northern Ireland law.

And I bow to your pedantry,Sir.

I realised the error just as I hit the submit button - but I was overwhelmed by my natural laziness and couldn't be bothered going back to edit it.

J

...just makes the whole world blind.

Mohandas Gandhi

PM

13th August 1964 was the date of the last hanging in this country - two men being hanged on that day.

I believe it was sometime around that time that the U.S. halted capital punishment, but of course we are well into it again.

A capital crime is one that carries the death penalty. There is no capital crime currently known to English and Welsh law.

I thought that treason still carried the death penalty in England and Wales.

BTW I too would bring back a death penalty for some crimes.

The death penalty for treason was changed in 1979 I think.

Glenn.

No - it doesn't. Nothing does, anywhere in what remains of the Empire.

The Crime and Disorder Act 1998 s.36 abolished the death penalty for Treason and Piracy in this country. The various odd bits of the Empire gradually lost the death penalty, and it was completely eradicated in the Empire on 22 October 2002.

s.36 came into force on 30.9.1998 by S.I. 1998/2327

Yikes, didn't mean to cause thread drift.... better start discussing the revival of walking the plank as the current form of capital punishment, or the thread will get pulled ;)

You know me i love a good debate :D particuarly when i am in the majority and not the minority ;) Im going to leave it here and let the others carry on debating :p

You know me i love a good debate :D particuarly when i am in the majority and not the minority ;) Im going to leave it here and let the others carry on debating :p

I do too... I enjoy talking to smart people who disagree with me, regardless of whether I am majority or not.

Archived