New Smoking rules on Qm2 implemented yet?

transatlantic fan

You know me i love a good debate :D particuarly when i am in the majority and not the minority ;) Im going to leave it here and let the others carry on debating :p

Being in the majority doesn't make you right (or wrong, for that matter).

You've given up trying to convince others of the merits of your argument very quickly. How come? Have you realised you are wrong?

Why do you think it is appropriate for the state to kill to demonstrate that killing is wrong? Don't you see the logical problem here?

I do too... I enjoy talking to smart people who disagree with me, regardless of whether I am majority or not.

Me too. Isn't there some kind of rule on Cruise Critic that allows thread drift when you have gone over a set amount of replies?

So now we need to get creative. Let's see-- when smoking becomes illegal what would be a proper punishment--corporal punishment, capital punishment, or a wrist slap?

My goodness,

quite like old times around here - heated debate, humour, and a rudderless thread, adrift on a sea of irrelevance. Personally I think that anyone infringing non-smoking laws should be sentenced to watch day-time television every day for three months (for a first offence).

J

My goodness,

quite like old times around here - heated debate, humour, and a rudderless thread, adrift on a sea of irrelevance. Personally I think that anyone infringing non-smoking laws should be sentenced to watch day-time television every day for three months (for a first offence).

J

With or without their vice?

Isn't there some kind of rule on Cruise Critic that allows thread drift when you have gone over a set amount of replies?

No:( There is another site where thread drift isn't banned (most of the big posters from CC have gone there already) and I would point you to is but I'm not allowed to mention other web sites on CC or even to give you my email address and ask you to email me.

CC is so much against this other site that I'll bet this post has vanished by Monday.

No:( There is another site where thread drift isn't banned (most of the big posters from CC have gone there already) and I would point you to is but I'm not allowed to mention other web sites on CC or even to give you my email address and ask you to email me.

CC is so much against this other site that I'll bet this post has vanished by Monday.

I am familiar with this other site also, and I too can not ask you to email me about this particular site, so I won't.

Without - definitely. Their nervous system should be subjected to the full ghastly experience :)

J

But more than likely the law breakers will transfer one addiction for another--or don't you have soap operas across the pond?

But more than likely the law breakers will transfer one addiction for another--or don't you have soap operas across the pond?

IMHO that would add to the appropriateness of the punishment. :)

We certainly do (quite a few of them from your side of the Atlantic as well). Most of the home grown variety, however, tend to be on in the early evening slots.

J

And Jimmy, buzz off. Capital punishment would be preferable.

ROFLMAO,

anything would be preferable to daytime TV.

For PM:

here are a few more bits of "News Group Speak" for you.

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

OTTOMH = Off The Top Of My Head

LOL = Laughing Out Loud (or Lots Of Laughs)

ROFL = Rolling On The Floor Laughing

ROFLMAO = Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Ankle Off (NB: not really "Ankle" I'm just trying to be polite)

FWIF = For What It's Worth

GMTA = Great Minds Think Alike

OMG = Oh My Goodness

And so on ad infinitum (actually that could be another one - ASOAI)

ROFLMAO,

here are a few more bits of "News Group Speak" for you.

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

OTTOMH = Off The Top Of My Head

LOL = Laughing Out Loud (or Lots Of Laughs)

ROFL = Rolling On The Floor Laughing

ROFLMAO = Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Ankle Off (NB: not really "Ankle" I'm just trying to be polite)

FWIF = For What It's Worth

GMTA = Great Minds Think Alike

OMG = Oh My Goodness

And so on ad infinitum (actually that could be another one - ASOAI)

Now--all I have to do is remember them.

Some of them I have actually figured out, but some I kind of have made up in my own words as I have read--not good.

Can you tell me just how long these whateveryoucallthem have been around?

And thanks for the primer.

Can you tell me just how long these whateveryoucallthem have been around?

PM,

a lot of this goes back to the very start of the old Usenet newsgroups in the late 70s/early 80s. Usenet was the model for the whole newsgroup phenomenon that we know today. It relied on threaded posts, just as this board does but, developing in parallel with usenet, were the chatrooms, where people, in essence, "chatted" in real time except that the keyboard was used to produce their words.

This realtime chat provided the impetus for people, who may or not have been fast typists, to find short ways of expressing the repetitive, and sometimes complex, phrases that we use in real everyday speech - hence the long and ever expanding list of acronyms that you now find all over the place. As similar phenomenon is happening and evolving now with text messaging.

J

Archived