New Smoking rules on Qm2 implemented yet?

transatlantic fan

Hi Sharon.

I believe we have shared posts on other occasions. Glad you had a lovely trip. Certainly one that my green eyed monster side is drooling over.

Do you recall if Yudani was behind the bar in the Queens Lounge? She is the wife of Mark of the jazz trio. A lovely and funny gal from Bali. Michael and I hope so, as we really enjoyed her in January and were hoping to see her for the Independence Day trip up to New England and Canada. One must certainly be in the smoking area of the lounge to have gotten to know her.

Regarding smoking, it has been my experience that whenever in a smoking section, be it in the old days in restaurants, bars, airplanes, or new days in limited areas (such as the Queens Lounge on QM2), the crowd has always been more happy go lucky and friendly in a smoking section. Has anyone else ever noticed this phenomenon?

Regards,

Jeanne

PS: If you are still up now in your neck of the woods, then God Bless You. If not, hope to catch you when I get up and you are getting ready for lunch.

Hi Jeanne, we don't smoke, but sat at the bar in the Queens Grill lounge. The bartender was a fantastic Russian girl, Vera. Always remembered your name & drink. Even if you miss the last girl, you will love this one, she is a gem.

Enjoy your trip.

Sharon

• 2 weeks later...
There is no smoking in any of the dining rooms or restaurants... and the cabins, while none are designated smoking or non smoking, appear to have some kind of transformation process where all evidence of smoke disappears. I am not sure now the cabin stewards do this but in all cruise lines they seem to use the same method where the smoke smell is gone before the next passenger arrives.

Thanks, good to know.

I hate to break it to you but there are no peeing or non-peeing sections in swimming pools... kids will pee in whatever part of the pool they are in when the urge strikes them.

Erm, that was a humorous way of saying that when someone smokes in one place, the smoke dissipates through the air so that it fills up the whole area, similar to how if someone pees in one spot in a pool, the pee dissipates through the whole pool. It a pretty common saying; I didn't make it up myself.

Thanks, good to know.

Erm, that was a humorous way of saying that when someone smokes in one place, the smoke dissipates through the air so that it fills up the whole area, similar to how if someone pees in one spot in a pool, the pee dissipates through the whole pool. It a pretty common saying; I didn't make it up myself.

I know.... just carrying the joke to its next logical level ;)

Guest Anorak33
Thanks, good to know.

I am afraid I cannot agree this is always the case - I have been in many dining and other establishments where the ventilation system is so good that any smoke from the smoking area is sucked up to the ceiling into a vent and taken away before it ever has a chance to spread to other parts of the room. Unfotunately not all ventilation systems are this good however.

This is of course not the case with the swimming pool where any contaminant does get mixed with the water.

Just because something is reported to be a common saying does not make it true.

Guest Anorak33
Is that true?

Gari

I don't know. Has it been reported?

Why is Astrogirl laying down the law about landbased establishments?

What has the law in NYC or in England got to do with her or this forum?

Perhaps an exsmoker, they are the best (???) at telling smokers what they may and may not do.

Probably fans the air and coughs whenever anyone within a hundred yards lights up.

I don't know. Has it been reported?

Perhaps an exsmoker, they are the best (???) at telling smokers what they may and may not do.

Probably fans the air and coughs whenever anyone within a hundred yards lights up.

Hey... not ALL ex-smokers! Some of us mind our own business and know how to avoid smoke if we don't want to be exposed to it. ;)

Guest Anorak33
They should all be banished to the chain locker along with the soft toy feteshists and the Bemuda Shorts wearers.

G.

Who are "they"?

Smokers or exsmokers?

I used to smoke cigarettes a long long time ( 40 years) ago. Now I don't like the odor of stale cigarette smoke but a nice fresh toasty whiff of burning Marlboro brings back good memories.

Now I stick to the occasional pleasure of a fine Cuban cigar rather than the habit of the cigarettes.

So I am a smoker and an exsmoker rolled into one.

Whatever other folk do is thankfully not a problem to me, but I can empathize with people who don't like breathing secondhand smoke.

Personally I would just find somewhere else to sit if possible rather than make an unnecessary fuss.

They should all be banished to the chain locker along with the soft toy feteshists and the Bemuda Shorts wearers.

G.

But those Bermudian gentlemen all dressed up for work with jacket and tie, bermuda shorts and knee socks look very charming and quite handsome, you must agree.

Who are "they"?

Smokers or exsmokers?

"That was intended 'tongue in cheek' " Gari.

Now I stick to the occasional pleasure of a fine Cuban cigar rather than the habit of the cigarettes.

So I am a smoker and an exsmoker rolled into one.

If you still smoke, however rarely, then you are 'A Smoker' and not an Exsmoker.

Gari.

P.S. Why did you feel it neccessary to qualify 'cigar'? I'm sure no Cunardeer would contemplate smoking anything as plebian as a King Eddy.

G.

Guest Anorak33
If you still smoke, however rarely, then you are 'A Smoker' and not an Exsmoker.

Gari.

P.S. Why did you feel it neccessary to qualify 'cigar'? I'm sure no Cunardeer would contemplate smoking anything as plebian as a King Eddy.

G.

Those King Edward Imperials are pretty bad, I particularly don't like the tarry sogginess you get once they are smoked half down.

I used to buy them for £4 for a box of 50 in the P/X in Germany.

Now I have got fussy with my cigars, like everything else I guess, even cruise ships, wine and meals.

When you realize one day that you don't have long left on this earth then I think you might as well have the best and hang the expense, after all you can't take it with you.

Those King Edward Imperials are pretty bad, I particularly don't like the tarry sogginess you get once they are smoked half down.

I used to buy them for £4 for a box of 50 in the P/X in Germany.

Now I have got fussy with my cigars, like everything else I guess, even cruise ships, wine and meals.

When you realize one day that you don't have long left on this earth then I think you might as well have the best and hang the expense, after all you can't take it with you.

Can't quarrel with that '33'. (Must be getting soft in my dotage).

Gari.

Because the ship embarks/disembarks in both places on a transatlatnic voyage. So everybody who is on a transatlantic voyage is going to be spending at least some time in NYC and England. So smokers should know that they aren't allowed to smoke in public places there. Especially those who seem shocked by the concept of smoking being prohibited in some places.

To be honest, I'm shocked that smoking is allowed in some public spaces on the QM2 - not because I'm anti-smoking, but because it's behind the times.

I'm not an ex-smoker by the way, unless you count a very short amount of time in high school, when I maxed out at maybe one or two cigarettes a week.

Guest Anorak33

Behind the times?

Over on this side of the pond quite a few of us accept that not all that is modern is good.

If you are shocked about smoking being allowed on QM2 then there is a very simple solution of course.

Don't go on.

I am sure there is a totally non-smoking cruise ship - Carnival Paradise - Oh no, now I remember, it used to be but it didn't work out so now they can smoke on that ship.

Hi Jeanne, we don't smoke, but sat at the bar in the Queens Grill lounge. The bartender was a fantastic Russian girl, Vera. Always remembered your name & drink. Even if you miss the last girl, you will love this one, she is a gem.

Enjoy your trip.

Sharon

Sharon,

Spot on. Vera is a gem. We had a great time with her in the Queens Lounge on the Independence celebration voyage. I would be delighted to see her again. Even if I do eventually quit smoking, I would gladly sit at the bar with her.

Regards,

Jeanne

Archived