2010 Caribbean: TA rates vs Princess rates

TimInOhio

I've been working on putting together a Caribbean group cruise for 2010. I've spoken with several TAs, both those "suggested" on CC and others I've found online. Only 2 out of more than 12 have quoted me a price better than what I get myself at Princess.com. And 1 of those is only $15 less. Granted, they do offer $75 per cabin OBC, but I was expecting much better rates for my group - I've already got 20 people/10 cabins.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Tim

I think you can do better. Not sure of group versus individual, but ... I booked only 1 cabin for Christmas and saved almost a thousand and got a 25.00 per person OBC. Good luck.

Since the group rate is already a discounted rate, there is less commission margin for a TA to cut.

That makes sense, but the "group rate" have been quoted is only a tiny bit better (factoring in the $75 per cabin OBC that some TAs offer) than the price I can get for myself (non-group rate) at Princess.com.

I was just expecting a better group rate.:confused:

We've booked both of our Proncess cruises directly thru Princess because there seemed ot be no real advantage in using Cruise.com or expedia or any of the other agencies we had used in the past.

That makes sense, but the "group rate" have been quoted is only a tiny bit better (factoring in the $75 per cabin OBC that some TAs offer) than the price I can get for myself (non-group rate) at Princess.com.

I was just expecting a better group rate.:confused:

Yes, most people expect to save hundreds by booking a group but that just doesn't happen. By booking a group however, you get "points" (depending on the number of cabins) that can then be used for OBC, or wine per cabin, or free photo, or cocktail party,etc. If you've got more than 8 cabins, book it as a group.

Tim,

From an onboard HAL Future Cruise Consultant, I heard her say that booking through a travel agent, one will always get a better rate than booking directly with the cruise line. While she was representing Holland America, I would be fairly certain that this would apply to other cruise lines as well, particularly with those within the Carnival Corporation family. Personally, I would also think that an agency that does much business with a particular cruise line would be able to offer better rates than one that does only a small amount of business.

I've been working on putting together a Caribbean group cruise for 2010. I've spoken with several TAs, both those "suggested" on CC and others I've found online. Only 2 out of more than 12 have quoted me a price better than what I get myself at Princess.com. And 1 of those is only $15 less. Granted, they do offer $75 per cabin OBC, but I was expecting much better rates for my group - I've already got 20 people/10 cabins.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Tim

It may be because you're pricing for a cruise so far out. The agencies may not be offering discounts yet. You might want to try again in early 2009. Just a thought.

From an onboard HAL Future Cruise Consultant, I heard her say that booking through a travel agent, one will always get a better rate than booking directly with the cruise line. While she was representing Holland America, I would be fairly certain that this would apply to other cruise lines as well, particularly with those within the Carnival Corporation family. Personally, I would also think that an agency that does much business with a particular cruise line would be able to offer better rates than one that does only a small amount of business.
It really depends on the TA. There are some high-volume agencies that book blocks of cabins when sailings open and then sell these to their customers at group rates. These are the ones where you will almost always get a better rate but if you are a group, you are already getting a group rate so there aren't additional savings. There are other TAs who don't pre-book blocks of cabins and they could actually be more expensive than booking directly with Princess.

It's important to do your research and make sure you are comparing rates that include the same things, such as taxes & fees, insurance, etc.

JMHO:

You can book your 'Group' thru the Princess Group Dept. (You need minimum of 8 dble. cabins) - you will get 1 free berth rebate for every 16 PAX booked (division by the number of berths less all non-commissionables) -

OR/

You might book your group with a TA that already has 'Group rates' - You will get the (volume) TA's 'group amenities' and STILL get a Free Berth Rebate (as figured) if you have a TA that will co-operate with you, and set the terms 'up front'.

When you book this far out - you will have to be alert for any 'drops' in price - the TA should 'adjust' your fares.

I booked my Family Group (8 DBL. Cabins) with a cooperative TA - so I had a 'group' within her group - I received a (1) Free Berth rebate together with TA 'Group Rates' and TA's OBC (points amenities)

(Don't ask me the Princess' formula for figuring out the 'Free Berth' Rebate :rolleyes: - My Rebate netted out about $300-$400 less than I expected - but then again I don't know the TA non-commissionables??

I deducted Port and other Taxes and Fees, credits for 'Referrals' and also OBC Promos (from Princess) that were applied to some in our group.)

After adding up the 16 cruisefares and dividing by 16 my end figure was not the same as the actual Rebate.:confused: :rolleyes:

(Of course, I don't know TA's commission rates and the TA was certainly entitled to commission!!)

At the end, after 3 'price drops' (with adjustments to the original cruisefares) and the 'free berth' rebate I am happy with the Total 'net net' price for our Family Group of 16.

The end Total cost was less than if I would have booked 'directly ' with the Group Dept. at Princess.

There are a lot of 'issues' that come up when you are booking a group - it may be easier to have a TA as intermediary - or you may find it easier being able to speak w/Princess directly? If you watch your cruisefares carefully, the end total may not be a big difference - You will surely have price changes this far out.

Let us know what you decide.

GOOD LUCK and enjoy your cruise :D

Princess group rates are usually around 5 - 10% less than the early booking discount rate and come with amenity points which can be used for hosted cocktail parties, free wine, free photos and onboard credits among other things. There is also usually a 16 to 1 tour conductor credit - for every 16 berths, you get one free in the form of a rebate to the agency.

If you are putting together the group, go with an agent that will allocate all the amenity points towards your group (some agents use some points to increase their comission instead), and credit your group with the tour conductor credit. The agent will still make a handsome commission on the group, without taking any of the bonuses away from you.

Princess group rates are usually around 5 - 10% less than the early booking discount rate and come with amenity points which can be used for hosted cocktail parties, free wine, free photos and onboard credits among other things. There is also usually a 16 to 1 tour conductor credit - for every 16 berths, you get one free in the form of a rebate to the agency.

If you are putting together the group, go with an agent that will allocate all the amenity points towards your group (some agents use some points to increase their comission instead), and credit your group with the tour conductor credit. The agent will still make a handsome commission on the group, without taking any of the bonuses away from you.

Yup! Thanks for 'minimizing' my post and thoughts! ! LOL! :D

We've booked both of our Princess cruises directly thru Princess because there seemed ot be no real advantage in using Cruise.com or expedia or any of the other agencies we had used in the past.

I just took my first Princess cruise a couple months ago. I got quotes from their website for one balcony cabin and one OV. Then I called Princess directly and she quoted me several hundred dollars more than their website. I couldn't believe how expensive they were. Then I went to my usual place to get bids online and I ended up saving several hundred dollars on just two cabins (it was about $500 I saved total). I've always found the cruiselines to be more expensive. I've gotten big discounts on every cruise I've ever taken by not going through the cruise line directly. Alot of the cruise websites (Expedia, Cruise.com, etc.) are the same price as the cruise line. I never use them.

(quote)--From an onboard HAL Future Cruise Consultant, I heard her say that booking through a travel agent, one will always get a better rate than booking directly with the cruise line. While she was representing Holland America, I would be fairly certain that this would apply to other cruise lines as well, particularly with those within the Carnival Corporation family. Personally, I would also think that an agency that does much business with a particular cruise line would be able to offer better rates than one that does only a small amount of business.(quote)

It applies to most all of them except RCL. For some reason they won't allow TA's to discount their rates. I went on one RCL cruise (ugh!). Didn't get a discount, but I did get an OBC from my web TA, which RCL would not have given me.

I'm all about saving money.:D The more you save, the more you can cruise.:)

I have been on two CC group cruises. The price we got was almost identical to the price we had directly from RCI. We did get a nice OBC which was nice that we would not have gotten by booking independently. We booked these soon after the itineraries were released. What we discovered was that as time went on the price of the cruise online was going up quite a bit, but the group rates stayed the same, making our group a better value for later bookings. The bad part - as time went on RCI kept pulling back whole cabin categories making booking with the group less desirable for those wanting specific categories.

I know that I can book Princess cruises with my favorite online TA for significantly less, complete with free upgrades, wine gifts, OBC, etc. So I would think a nicer group rate would be a possibility on Princess.

We always use a TA and have consistently found her rates to be more competitive than booking direct with Princess - plus, she can book us into groups, so some extra ameneties are usually added in too. Plus, we like being able to call her directly and have her act as an advocate for us with the cruise line.

Thank you all for the replies. I am still emailing and calling TAs working on getting the best deal.

Interestingly enough, my best quote at this point is from a site that someone has mentioned as having the same price as Princess.

I agree about the cruise being so far out right now.

Competitive pricing has not been applied yet. :)

But, as long as I stay on top of the rates, when they do go down, I should be able to get a price adjustment from my TA, right?

Archived