Live From Mariner

Hello all from sunny St. Thomas, USVI. I type this from my balcony overlooking the pool at Paradise Gate. I also must apologize for any typing mistakes, as I am typing one handed for now, while I eat an ice cream cone I got from up on the pool deck. A quick rundown of the first 4 days.

Day 1

Welcome Aboard Show with comedian Jim Colliton. I thought Jim was hillarious on both the Welcome Aboard Show and the late night show.

Island A-Go-Go Parade. I didn't attend because I have seen it 3 other times.

Day 2-Coco Cay

What a beautiful island. Had a beautiful day, just chilled out in the sun for a while, then returned to the ship. It was formal night, and Captain Per took pictures in the Lotus Lounge then did his Welcome Aboard speech from the Promenade bridge. Also we had Finish That Lyric with Justin from the cruise directors staff. He has been great and is a future cruise director in the making. Also late night comedy with Jim Colliton.

2270628700053737925DdhwVg_ph.jpg

Day 3- At Sea

Another nice day. We went through one shower, but that only lasted 5 minutes. They had the Sexy Legs contest along with Ms Biceps. Of course there was bingo during the day, and the Headliner Showtime was with a man named Paul Boland. He is a singer impressionist, and was outstanding. He had everyone rolling on the floor and received a standing ovation from the audience. Also, last night was 70's Disco night along with the dance party in the Promenade.

Day 4-St. Thomas

I woke up to this

2858657300044305401S600x600Q85.jpg

Immigration took 10 minutes, and even though the line is long, it moves very fast, just please cooperate and it is a very painless process. Today we just hit a beach because the cab driver screwed us over. We wanted to do Trunks Bay, but because of him we didn't. I will from now on do the rest of my tours through the ship. Too much can go wrong. However, it was a very nice day and we had a good time. Tonight is also my favorite night of the cruise. Maybe you have heard, but Royal Caribbean is doing a great thing for Make-A-Wish Foundation. Tonight there is an auction in the Savoy Theatre and on Saturday there is a walk to raise money. Last cruise they raised over $3,000, which is enough to grant two wishes. Tonight is also the ice show, along with Win a Cruise Bingo, and the Love and Marriage show. Inbetween all of this, I plan to also catch Name That Tune in the Schooner Bar.

Any questions please ask quickly. Dinner is in an hour and I have to start getting ready.

You make me envious, but will be on the Mariner in July for a Western cruise, seems those going Eastern give tours a less than steller rating. Same ship, but the Eastern is always worse. I'll be thinking of you dining tonight, let us know if you tried any of the specialty rest, this will be our second trip on the Mariner , 4th with RCCL and we have not yet to try the specialty rests.

You make me envious, but will be on the Mariner in July for a Western cruise, seems those going Eastern give tours a less than steller rating. Same ship, but the Eastern is always worse. I'll be thinking of you dining tonight, let us know if you tried any of the specialty rest, this will be our second trip on the Mariner , 4th with RCCL and we have not yet to try the specialty rests.

Don't worry, your time will come. One thing you learn being on a cruise, is it is one of the fastest weeks you will ever experience.

I won't be doing any specialty restaurants this week, because the people I am with don't want to spend the extra money, but maybe when I come back in 2 weeks.

Another thing, there is a couple on their 227th cruise this week. That is by far the most I have ever seen.

Last thing I forgot to mention was tonight is also dancing under the stars, so I'm looking forward to that.

Hey Justin, I will be on her the week of July 6th..Can you find out if Drew Devine will still be the CD or is he leaving soon...I know it is common for the CD to change around this time...If he is leaving, it would be great if you could find out who is taking his place...thanks!

Hey Justin, I will be on her the week of July 6th..Can you find out if Drew Devine will still be the CD or is he leaving soon...I know it is common for the CD to change around this time...If he is leaving, it would be great if you could find out who is taking his place...thanks!

No problem Stacey. I will try to find out tonight if I can talk with him, but if not I will find out later in the week and will report what I find out, in this thread.

We'll be on her October 12, 2008!! Is your cabin port or starboard? Does it really matter which side you're on, in the scheme of things??

Our cabin is midship, starboard side.

No, it doesn't matter at all, IMO.

However, that is all the questions for now. If there are more just ask and I will try to get back to you later tonight, while my sprint aircard still works :D

I'm so jealous that you are on MY ship! We just got off of her on Sunday. It is great to read about everything again. It's almost like being there because I can picture it all so fresh in my mind. I miss my pre-dinner wine flights at Vintages! The impressionist was very funny! I was there for all the make a wish stuff too and we did raise a lot of money. Have fun!

Hi, Hope you get back to talk to us again. love the live threads especially when we have foggy cold weather here(coming into our winter now)

my question is about the trip to the everglades then onto the airport on disembarkation day. What is the cost for this? what time is the latest flight you can have to do this? I know there is also one to the space centre but we want to spend longer there so using one of our disney days to do that before the cruise.

Hubby doesnt want to hire a car but i am thinking costwise with there being 4 of us it will be the way to go.

Anyway if you can find anything out i would be grateful. I have seen the compasses online but no mention of times and prices there.

thanks a lot

No problem Stacey. I will try to find out tonight if I can talk with him, but if not I will find out later in the week and will report what I find out, in this thread.

Thanks Justin..any info would be appreciated. I have never sailed RCI so I don't know anything about any of the CD's..I just like to research them to see what others think about them beforehand. Stacey

Our cabin is midship, starboard side.

However, that is all the questions for now. If there are more just ask and I will try to get back to you later tonight, while my sprint aircard still works :D

Hi Great to hear live commentary. Can you explain how your sprint aircard works on the ship?

Hi.

Only time for a few comments. The cruise has continued to be great. There is always something to do. Tonight is Name That Tune, then Pure Energy, then Battle of the Sexes, and then karaoke. I hope I spelled that right. Please excuse me as I am typing on the ships computers and going as fast as I can because it is not cheap at all, so forgive any mistakes.

Uh, I only remember a few questions, but I will answer the rest on Sunday.

Jules, I will see you onboard, as I think I am on that cruise as well. So see you in two weeks.

The question about the aircard. Well, I posted that from St. Thomas where most carriers have service that is included in your basic service, so if you need to make a call or use an aircard, St. Thomas is the place to do so.

Well it is 5:54 right now, and it is formal night. So off to the dining room I go.

Have a great weekend.

Jules, I will see you onboard, as I think I am on that cruise as well. So see you in two weeks.

You think you're on that cruise as well?! :eek: I hate you! :p;)

j/k! Lucky you...have a great cruise!

Another thing, there is a couple on their 227th cruise this week. That is by far the most I have ever seen.

Now these people are my heros. Yikes I hope I could only live that long :p

Must be Gerald and Greta, they are a wonderful couple... If you see them again tell them Jill said hi!

I'm back for another (quick) update. I post this from the upper pool deck. I bought a few prepaid wifi minutes so I am on my laptop. It took all the patience I had to upload this picture for you all, but I took this picture a few minutes ago from about 20 feet in front of me. Sorry, I know it is a little blurry, but it will do the job for now. Now I know how Radio feels when he does these. They actually are fun, and I hope I can help someone else pass the time quicker for their cruise.

2736373330075918025GnRAak_ph.jpg

Tomorrow night is the last night, and there is going to be an outstanding comedian by the name of Dan Wilson. I saw him 2 years ago and laughed as hard as I ever had at a clean comedian. For those of you getting on Sunday, you are in for a real treat. The Mariner looks like this is her maiden voyage. Just don't forget to wave to me when you are getting off, because I will be getting right back on next Sunday ;)

Bye for now.

You're making me homesick! We were on Mariner last July, and she's just as beautiful as I remember. I especially love that first shot taken from the tender.

You skipped one of the parades? :eek: I went to every one and especially loved the 70's dance party; made me feel like a kid again.

Enjoy!

Hi Justin,

I got goosebumps when I saw your poolside picture...8 more days!

Is Drew Divine your cd, and how do you like him? (Last two times on Mariner we had Becky.)

Enjoy your last day on board. (I can't believe you get to go again in a week! You lucky duck! :p)

p.s. My husband wants to know about the wifi minutes you purchased. Is it a package or can you just tell them you want to buy an hour of wifi? Do you buy them at the purser's desk, and how's the connection? (We'll have our laptop to communicate with our teens who aren't sailing with us. Would you recommend wifi on our own lapper or just using RC Online? Our experience at RC Online in the past is that it's very slow.)

Archived