Big screens on Lido deck

Jacky4

Is there plenty of seating for the movies on deck? I imagine it doesn't get too crowded because most people will be at the shows or night clubs. Do people actually sit and watch the movie or is constantly people coming and going, kids running around. My kids are all excited about this but I would hate to have to go up an hour early to get a seat. I don't think this is a big deal but am just curious.

We were on the Liberty in Jan. We watched movies almost every night. It was not crowded at all. We never had trouble finding a seat. We usually went to the earlier shows, and lots of people are at dinner and the shows. We never had trouble with people making noise or kids running around. Find a lounger in one of the higher tiers, and sit at the end, and you shouldn't be bothered at all. One thing, depending on what time of year you are going is that the evenings can get a little chilly. We brought our beach towels from the room and threw them over us, and that kept us plenty cozy.

I would guess that if they get too popular, Carnival may start doing something similar to what they did on the Caribbean Princess when I was on her a few years ago - you call the concierge to reserve seats and they deliver tickets to your stateroom. They also give you a blanket to keep warm and a box of popcorn.

So, what movies did they show? Things other than movies? We'll be on the Victory in Jan. and they also have the big screen.

On the Freedom, May '07, they broadcast CNN news in the mornings.

They also broadcast (or maybe it was a re-broadcast) John Heald's (cruise director) Morning Show.

Concerts are also sometimes broadcast (i.e., Tina Turner, Sting, etc.).

No blankets or popcorn on our Valor cruise in February (certainly didn't need a blanket on the Western itinerary!) We watched a movie one night, and there were plenty of seats. They also showed several concerts at various times; the schedule will be listed in the Capers for each day.

On Caribbean Princess, they supplied us with a blanket and a box of popcorn. Carnival doesn't do this?

Blankets on the Freedom. We did the TA and it was chilly so we all wore our bathrobes and bundled up in blankets. It was so funny!

Since NYBumpkin and Pineapple Princess talked about their past Valor cruises and the big screen I'd say Valor has the movie screen. ;)

Valor has already been through dry dock and that's when the screens are/were installed.

Here's the screen on the Valor. Frankly, I was disappointed in the selection of entertainment shown on our May 11th sailing -- BeeGees and Pavoratti concerts, High School Musical 2, Transformers, one of the Harry Potter movies, and some obscure film with Claire Danes. The only time we really watched anything was in the morning; we'd watch the news on CNN while we were eating our breakfast.

This was taken after we'd just gotten onboard, at about 12:30. That's U2 on the screen, but I don't remember if it was a full concert or just a video.

301146637_3cDsK-M.jpg

I think this is my dumbest question yet. :o How does the volume work? Do you have headphones, or does the sound play out across the deck? If it plays out across the deck, how loud or intrusive is it?

It plays out across the deck. It's loud enough to be heard through the entire pool area.

We did the Western Med. on the Freedom. The movies were related to the ports. They showed a James Bond film, Under the Tuscan Sun, Gladiators. They also showed concerts in the afternoons. I really enjoyed those. Blankets were available (and needed). I think the popcor was 1.00 a bag. I did not eat any.

Archived