Yet another fuel surcharge is coming!!

People! Do you hear yourselves? Does anyone not get it? Yeah, gas goes up, but are the profits for Carnival Inc. going down, I don"t think So!!! To tximprov--YOU got it! GREED!

Sorry... it's not greed. Carnival's profits, along with every other cruise line, have dropped fairly sharply.

Carnival is a business and as such it's responsible to it shareholder to show a profit. This isn't redivision of wealth... this is business...

Sorry... it's not greed. Carnival's profits, along with every other cruise line, have dropped fairly sharply.

Carnival is a business and as such it's responsible to it shareholder to show a profit. This isn't redivision of wealth... this is business...

By the way... expect that next surcharge bump to show up on June 27th... book now and avoid the increase...

In last Sunday's Washington Post there was a blurb that taxis in Montgomery County were beginning to add a fuel surcharge to each fare. Wonder how long it will be until we see that in Florida with the huge amount of tourists depending on cabs to get around?

The increase in price of fuel for the cruise lines in in line with the increase in fuel cost we as citizens are paying. I am personnally tired of hearing excuses such as a strike in Niger, a hurricane in the Gulf, blah, blah , blah, The Saudi oil minister has said repeadetly, "there is no shortage of oil". that is why they wont pump anymore. In fact demand has fallen and with it production has fallen. That is why these reports of stockpiles have decreased. If your not eating a certain item you have in your pantry, your not going to buy it next time you go to the grocery store...same goes with oil. In fact in the past five years more oil reserves have been discovered that probably more than triples the amount of oil thought to be in the world. One word can discribe the rise in fuel. GREED.

YEP!!! And the futures people are driving it up, too... just on speculation alone, it's going up in price in the markets.

:mad:

I was speaking today to a carnival rep in the interline dept. getting my DD214 to them for our upcoming cruise and he said another surcharge is coming. I said the latest surcharge went into effect today and he said yeah they can't keep up with oil going up several dollars a barrel almost daily. He did not know how much or exactly when but is is coming soon.

Back in March, my TA told me that the surcharge was going from $7.00 to $9.00 a person.

Book your future cruise(s) now and that way the fuel charge rate is "locked in" they cant increase it after you have booked (they found out the hard way)

Take for instance, I set up a group cruise a few months ago before the increase. I have clients who are still paying only $25 deposits to book in this group. Carnival will not charge them the extra fuel charges since I made the group beforehand. ;)

Carnival and the other lines have changed their contract. they can now change the fuel surcharge at any time and you are stuck paying it. Whether they will try to enforce that increase is anyones guess but I am betting that they do and it will stick.

In addition your group cruise is very likely to have a surcharge increase and anyone booking now will definitely pay the prevailing fuel surcharge.

Book your future cruise(s) now and that way the fuel charge rate is "locked in" they cant increase it after you have booked (they found out the hard way)

Take for instance, I set up a group cruise a few months ago before the increase. I have clients who are still paying only $25 deposits to book in this group. Carnival will not charge them the extra fuel charges since I made the group beforehand. ;)

I dont think its that clear cut. There were quite a few on group cruises, who claimed the group was already set up before the Nov 7th date so they shouldnt have to pay fuel surcharge and found out they are not getting the refund.

If Carnival doesnt have their names as booked on those cabins you are holding, they just might have to pay the fuel surcharge due at the time of booking. Dont rule it out. You should probably be letting folks know too, just in case so they arent upset with you later, saying you mislead them, what then?

This is off topic but I just have to tell Neptunesgoddess that I love the photos in your signature!

Thank you very much. :)

Yes, Hubby and I were dragging our feet on booking for a friend's wedding this coming October. We just weren't sure we would cruise with them. When I heard about the increase happening this week, we decided to make a decision and, as you can see by my signature, we decided to book. Yes, the new increase would have only tacked on 20 bucks, but hey, saving every little bit counts. I mean 20 bucks is two foo foo drinks on the lido deck! :) So..I have to say that impending fuel surcharge hike lit a fire under me.

When I booked my cruise on the Legends a couple of weeks ago and my Carnival PVP quoted me a price, I ask him if that included the fuel charge and he stated that with them there is no more added fuel charge,

The price is just that, the price. They have all of that figured in.

Also to the O.P. have you usually booked your cruises with a Carnival rep because once I faxed a copy of my DD214 to my Carnival PVP he kept a copy of it on file and when I want to use it again they just look it up. I don’t have to fax another copy

In last Sunday's Washington Post there was a blurb that taxis in Montgomery County were beginning to add a fuel surcharge to each fare. Wonder how long it will be until we see that in Florida with the huge amount of tourists depending on cabs to get around?

They were discussing this on the news last night for the cabs here in Las Vegas, too.

Guess we'll see more people cruising from "home ports" that they can get to the least expensive way.

My statement about greed was not directed towards Carnival or the airlines for that matter. As I had stated in my post Carnivals fuel cost was in line with the increase in fuel we as consumers are also paying. I believe their surcharge is justified. If the price of fuel goes down, you can adjust a surcharge. My statement about greed was to the oil companies and speculators. Recently an investment firm made a prediction that oil would reach 150.00 a barrel. This statement came out after oil had fallen aprrox $11 a barrel during the week. The day after making this "prediction" oil skyrocketed. The Saudi's have stated numorous times there is no shortage of oil. They too are concerned with the high prices. While they are enjoying their profits, they also see the effects on the world economy. weed need oil, but they need people to buy it. It is there ONLY export. If we come up with alternatives becasue the price is to high, they have no other way to make money. With that said, they just announced they will produce another 500 million barralls a day. Lets see what the speculators do. I personnally hope the go bankrupt...the speculators that is.

Thanks for posting this. I'm sad that the fuel increases keep going up.

We returned from our cruise in April, and had thought about booking another cruise right away. We didn't book then, and now there have been 2 increases to the fuel surcharge. Since we are a family of 4, and we are looking at an 8-day cruise, it's going to cost us $208 for the fuel surcharge at the current price, instead of $80, if we had booked then.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if will be able to continue cruising now, but may have chose alternative vacations, instead.:)

We returned from our cruise in April, and had thought about booking another cruise right away. We didn't book then, and now there have been 2 increases to the fuel surcharge. Since we are a family of 4, and we are looking at an 8-day cruise, it's going to cost us $208 for the fuel surcharge at the current price, instead of $80, if we had booked then.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if will be able to continue cruising now, but may have chose alternative vacations, instead.:)

When I booked my cruise on the Legends a couple of weeks ago and my Carnival PVP quoted me a price, I ask him if that included the fuel charge and he stated that with them there is no more added fuel charge,

Also to the O.P. have you usually booked your cruises with a Carnival rep because once I faxed a copy of my DD214 to my Carnival PVP he kept a copy of it on file and when I want to use it again they just look it up. I don’t have to fax another copy

I book through a TA (cheaper) and then faxed my DD214 for the 4th time I believe and then got an email from carnival to send it again. They told me months ago they would keep it on file for future cruises but after talking to the interline dept, that was not the case. They said they will eventually tie your 214 to your past guest # but they have not done that yet.

The increase in price of fuel for the cruise lines in in line with the increase in fuel cost we as citizens are paying. I am personnally tired of hearing excuses such as a strike in Niger, a hurricane in the Gulf, blah, blah , blah, The Saudi oil minister has said repeadetly, "there is no shortage of oil". that is why they wont pump anymore. In fact demand has fallen and with it production has fallen. That is why these reports of stockpiles have decreased. If your not eating a certain item you have in your pantry, your not going to buy it next time you go to the grocery store...same goes with oil. In fact in the past five years more oil reserves have been discovered that probably more than triples the amount of oil thought to be in the world. One word can discribe the rise in fuel. GREED.

"Demand has fallen"? What the heck crack are you smoking? With the ever-increasing industrialization in emerging Asian countries plus more Chinese than ever, demand for oil is at an all time high. A simple google search will yield thousands of sites all showing the same thing. Pull your head out of the sand and try to understand what's really going on before you start pointing the finger.

You're right, one word CAN describe the rise in fuel costs - but it's "demand" not "greed".

PS - If you still think it's greed, tell me - who do you think it is that's being greedy?

"Demand has fallen"? What the heck crack are you smoking? With the ever-increasing industrialization in emerging Asian countries plus more Chinese than ever, demand for oil is at an all time high. A simple google search will yield thousands of sites all showing the same thing. Pull your head out of the sand and try to understand what's really going on before you start pointing the finger.

You're right, one word CAN describe the rise in fuel costs - but it's "demand" not "greed".

PS - If you still think it's greed, tell me - who do you think it is that's being greedy?

The damand that has fallen has taken p[lace in the past year. I do read. What I dont do is listen to the blow hard concerviative radio talk show hosts. China's population has leveled off since the one child rule, and yes they are adding to the usage/demand situation. However, If you read or comprehended my post, there is plenty of oil. Which has been repeated over and over by OPEC members. Less than three years ago, Saudi dicovered they had twice the oil reserves they once thought they had. Trillions of barrels of oil where jsut discovered in Brazil, a very large shale was just discovered in Montana and north dakota. The Greed I am refering to is the oil companies posting the 40 billion dollor a qtr profits.

However, If you read or comprehended my post, there is plenty of oil.

For now, maybe. But we need to start seeing this current crisis as a wake-up call -- there is NOT an unlimited supply of the stuff. We must start seriously developing alternative sources, people!

For now, maybe. But we need to start seeing this current crisis as a wake-up call -- there is NOT an unlimited supply of the stuff. We must start seriously developing alternative sources, people!

This discussion conjures up a picture of people on a cruise ship arguing over why the ship is sinking and ignoring the fact that they are going to go down with the ship if they don't change their focus of concern. What a metaphor!!

No the increases are for future bookings. After the increased Fuel Charge goes it to effect.

This is true unless you have a need to make a change to your existing reservation, such as to request an adjustment after a fare drop. As I noted on the board yesterday, my $60 price drop resulted in a $4 savings after Carnival added more fuel surcharge and higher taxes to my existing reservation.

But on your written Carnival confirmation, the fuel surcharge now shows on a separate line. The cruise fare shows separately on the first line. As another posted stated, Carnival is careful to separate the fees from the fare so that they don't have to pay commission to TA's on the fees portion of the money paid.

I hope it is okay to have a conversation on Cruise Critic on topics other than cruising. I must chime in on this conversation on the cost of fuel and more specifically the cost of fuel in America as it relates to the prices around the globe. As an American I am ashamed that we continue to complain about the price of fuel yet we refuse for the most part to end our dependency on this fossil fuel. We must embrace conservation as a measure to reduce dependency and therefore affect the supply/demand segment. As we drive larger and larger vehicles we have no room to complain about ever increasing costs. We must strive to purchase smaller more fuel efficient vehicles which will significantly affect the supply side of this issue and surely bring prices down.

Sorry I am now off of my soap box and on to cruising. I will be on the Elation June 28th and cannot wait.

I'm curious, Jeff. Are you willing to cease cruising to do your part to reduce consumption of fossil fuels? Tee hee.

Soon the surcharges may cost more that the cruise!!! My GF and I often book last minute cruises. Sometimes getting 5 day cruises for under $200. If the surchage hits $12, that would be $70 each in surcharges. More than a third of he cost of the cruise.

I was speaking today to a carnival rep in the interline dept. getting my DD214 to them for our upcoming cruise and he said another surcharge is coming. I said the latest surcharge went into effect today and he said yeah they can't keep up with oil going up several dollars a barrel almost daily. He did not know how much or exactly when but is is coming soon.

Any idea on a dollar amount?

Archived