Grand Cayman advise?

lilbit

Posted a question yesterday but I don't see it on the boards. Anyway, any suggestions on a resort to spend the day at on seven mile beach and the cost?

This board moves so quickly what may be page one often ends up being 2-3 within a few hours. One way to find your posts is to click on your name in the upper left corner of your posts. The second option down will say "Find all posts by lilbit". Click on that and it will bring up a page that will show you all your posts and make it easier to go back to those posts and check for replies. I have to do that quite often :)

Ok back to your question here's your post from yesterday and the replies it received http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=15009078#post15009078

Usually posts asking about specific ports of call end up being moved to the boards that are specific to that port of call such as this one http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=147

If you aren't aware of the ports of call boards here's a link to the main section with those boards listed by ports of call http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

We didn't use a day pass at any of the Grand Cayman resorts because the beach area truly runs for 7 miles. The intitial part of the beach closest to the port is free as are the chairs and such. We prefer a quieter area so we had the shuttle driver take us further up the beach to an area called Sea Grape Beach. We loved it there and they had loungers that you can rent for $5 each but alot of people used their towels in the sand. Food was really good there and the drinks were reasonably priced. I'm sorry I couldn't help you with the resort info but hopefully some of the links I shared will be able to :) Enjoy your cruise we are headed to Grand Cayman in July with the Valor :)

I think they moved your post to the ports of call board?

When you get there, there was a guy with a sandwich sign standing in front of the statue of Big Black Dick with a good price to go to 7 mile, around $25 or so and they would take you and pick you up. I think it was $25.

You dont have to book it ahead of time unless you want to.

When you get there, there was a guy with a sandwich sign standing in front of the statue of Big Black Dick with a good price to go to 7 mile, around $25 or so and they would take you and pick you up. I think it was $25.

Don't spend $25 to get to the beach...a taxi to either Royal Palms or Sea Grape (two sections of Seven Mile with a restaurant, watersports and chair rentals, restrooms, showers, etc.) is about $4-6 per person each way. There's lots of taxis waiting at the port to take you to the beach, and lots waiting to take you back at the end of the day.

I think they moved your post to the ports of call board?

You dont have to book it ahead of time unless you want to.

:eek: I read this quickly and had to go read it again to double check what you had said. lol I think I missed this statue on our last visit but we'll be there again in July so I'll check it out. ;)

There is a little shopping center in back of this statue. Thats where the Margaritaville is. Also its where the Black Beard rum cakes are. We paid $40 for the 6 pack, but they gave us a 2 lb of our choice if we bought the 6 pack. Every bit as good if not better than Tortulga brand rum cakes.

We didn't want to book anything, maybe shop a little and hit the beach. Any beach areas within walking distance or should we plan on a cab? Also, are the rum cake places nearby, I am definitely going to want a few (dozen :D (kidding)

We didn't want to book anything, maybe shop a little and hit the beach. Any beach areas within walking distance or should we plan on a cab? Also, are the rum cake places nearby, I am definitely going to want a few (dozen :D (kidding)

Plan on a cab to Seven Mile Beach - it's about $4-6 per person each way. Two good spots are SeaGrape or Royal Palms - both have showers and restroom facilities, a bar, chair rentals, etc.

Tons of rum cake places downtown...you won't have any problem finding them.

Plan on a cab to Seven Mile Beach - it's about $4-6 per person each way. Two good spots are SeaGrape or Royal Palms - both have showers and restroom facilities, a bar, chair rentals, etc.OTE]

Which one is closer to port? Does one tend to be less crowded than the other?

If you have been to both, which did you prefer and why?

Which one is closer to port? Does one tend to be less crowded than the other?

If you have been to both, which did you prefer and why?

Royal Palms is a bit closer to the port, but it's really only maybe a mile further to Sea Grape (Drew, have you got a more exact distance?).

I think the watersports operators are different, and the restaurants have different menus, but that's about it. I've eaten at Royal Palms, but not at Sea Grape. To me, both sections of actual beach seem so similar that I really don't think it makes a ton of difference. I haven't actually spent too much time at either beach, since we have a house out at Rum Point... :D

Royal Palms is a bit closer to the port, but it's really only maybe a mile further to Sea Grape (Drew, have you got a more exact distance?).

I think the watersports operators are different, and the restaurants have different menus, but that's about it. I've eaten at Royal Palms, but not at Sea Grape. To me, both sections of actual beach seem so similar that I really don't think it makes a ton of difference. I haven't actually spent too much time at either beach, since we have a house out at Rum Point... :D

Are these restaurants that you go in and sit down, or can you order food to eat on the beach?

Are these restaurants that you go in and sit down, or can you order food to eat on the beach?

The whole restaurant is pretty much right on the beach. :D There's really no "in" to go to, at least at Royal Palms. Check out the barcam at http://www.reefgrill.com to get a better idea of the setup.

I found GC to be more expensive overall - a yard in GC at CnC's was the most expensive I've ever had - and I've had them all over the Caribbean. :)

Just watch out for traffic if you go further down seven mile beach - we were backed up for a long time!

I'm told that you can pre-order your rum cakes if you go first thing in the morning, and they'll drop them off at your ship for you (can anyone confirm this?). In addition, these lines are long too. :) The last time I was there, there was a rum cake factory just down the street from where you lined up for the tenders, but there's plenty around.

The whole restaurant is pretty much right on the beach. :D There's really no "in" to go to, at least at Royal Palms. Check out the barcam at http://www.reefgrill.com to get a better idea of the setup.

Thanks a bunch for the web cam link. I will sailing there in October and this helps me figure out what I want to do.

Which is better ..Sea Beach or Royal Palms.. I recal someone saying that Royal Palm had a lot of pebbles ( I don't know on the beach or in the water. Does anyone know.

Also do you you recall the cost of renting a lounge and umbrella.

Michael

Which is better ..Sea Beach or Royal Palms.. I recal someone saying that Royal Palm had a lot of pebbles ( I don't know on the beach or in the water. Does anyone know.

Also do you you recall the cost of renting a lounge and umbrella.

Michael

Check the Sticky at the top of this forum...I think there's some info there with more specifics. I've only ever gone to Royal Palms to eat, so we haven't bothered with the beach-related stuff. :D The food's pretty good, though, or at least it has been when we've been there...

Archived