Really Need Your Help........

I've been on CC for a loooong time and have posted more than a few times but have never before cruised on over here to RCI Board that I recall.

We cruised once (many years ago) on RCI and, unfortunately, our experience was negative and we never returned though we have cruised a huge amount on HAL, 5 or 6 times each on Princess and "X" and once, sort of, on Carnival....that's a long story. ;)

A secretary in my DH's office wants to take her first cruise. She is in her early thirties I would guess, married and with a two year old. She wants a New Year's Cruise (doesn't she know how pricey they are? DH must be paying her too much- - - kidding, folks, just kidding.)

I love, love, love HAL but sense that is not a good match for her first cruise....maybe a second or third.

They are not party hearty but enjoy a cocktail, music and dancing in the lounges and I think they'd enjoy a certain amount of organized activity. She'd like to dress formal a few times and he'll to it to please her.

I want, for her, a relatively new ship, an Eastern Caribbean itinery, a suggestion for a cabin in at least the mid range with a veranda and, of course, if someone knows of some amazing great cruise, please suggest...an amazing low price wouldn't be unwelcome.:)

Anyone mind trying to help me out here? I would hate to have to spend hours on the RCI site and end up coming back here knowing even less than when I started. I know very little about 'today's RCI' but know A LOT about cruising.

Will you assist me with the what's best about and what is worst about the various classes of RCI ships.....briefly? I certainly don't expect a full course of RCI 101.

Thanks for any help.

If you want a relatively new ship for the eastern caribbean then you have different choices. Since you want to skip Carnival and HAL, you will still have Royal Caribbean, Princess, Celebrity and NCL. So I would suggest 1 of these 4: the Crown Princess, Independence OTS, Freedom OTS, Solstice. These are the (realtively) new ones that will do an eastern itinerary on new year.

Never been on Celebrity, but heard nothing than good to excellent from them. Princess and Royal Caribbean are in the same league. Love both, but a slightly preference for RCI

Thanks.

Seeing as this is the RCI Board, I'd really appreciate help re: RCI. I'm VERY familiar with HAL and Princess and "X" are not currently in my view of interest for her. At the moment, I am thinking RCI.

She wants to sail 7 nights round trip Fort Lauderdale, New Year's cruise. I want an Eastern itinerary for her. Can anyone mention which relatively new RCI ship meets that minimum criteria?

Mom, Dad and a two year old in a veranda (at least) cabin.

Freedom or Independence of the Seas or Navigator OTS

Btw with the prices you pay for a new years cruise, you can take 3 other cruises during the year.

Freedom is a 7 night cruise to San Juan, St.Thomas and St.Maarten, price for a balcony starting at usd 2,689 for a balcony

Independence 8 night cruise to San juan, St.Thomas, St.Maarten and Labadee, price starting at 3,789 for a balcony !!

Navigator 10 night eastern caribbean leaving on the 24th visiting San Juan, St.Thomas, Antigua, St.Kitts, St.Maarten and Coco Cay, price starting at 3,199 for a balcony

I would then suggest either the 8 night caribbean cruise on Independence of the Seas out of Ft. Lauderdale which is Royal's newest ship and will sail on December 27, 2008, or the 10 night cruise on Navigator of the Seas, sailing on December 24, 2008. Both do the eastern caribbean. You will find the the Independence is going to be higher priced as it is the newest ship. Good luck.

RCCL's newest ship is the Independence of the Seas. And she is sailing an 8 night Eastern Caribbean itinerary out of Ft. Lauderdale over New Years.

The one thing that is great about the IOS is that if her 2.5 year old is not potty trained by the time of the cruise, the IOS has a BabyZone in the H20 zone so the Baby can still get wet.

Also, even though the 2.5 year old will be too young for the kids programs, RCCL does offer in-cabin babysitting at night so mom and dad can have some adults only time if they want.

Thank you.

She can only take a seven night cruise so I need to gather info about 7 nights only.

The Freedom cruise described above sounds very good but is, indeed, pricey.

I think RCI prices are higher than HAL. Sure, I realize it's New Years and we've done a number of holiday cruises so understand they are higher priced than all others.

I wonder how well bookings are going?

Normally at this time of year, it might be hard to get a good cabin but this year there probably are more openings.

Is the 7 night due to work? Usually the 8 night cruises leave on Saturday and return on Sunday, so most people only have to take the same amount of leave for an 8 night as a 7 night cruise, so if she works a normal schedule I would tell her not to discount an 8 night cruise.

Unfortunately, New Years is a time when families can cruise, and because RCCL is very popular with families they have no incentives to lower prices at those times of year. Also, with RCCL the best prices are usually when bookings first open which for New Years was about 14 months ago.

I believe Freedom is sailing out of Miami over New Years. She departs on Dec 28th. Freedom will have most of the same amenities as Independence of the Seas (the ship doing the 8 night itinerary) as she is the first in that class of ships.

Hi Sail

I am glad to help you as you have been very helpful to me in the past. Unfortunately, the timing of this cruise is very bad for a good price. Because RCI is often viewed as a family cruise line and ships like the Independence of the Seas has the flowrider surfing pool, rock wall, ice skating, miniature golf, etc. These ships are going to be wildly popular for a family vacation when school is out. If the flowrider isn't desired by them the ships in the Voyager class and maybe even better in the Radiance glass are great options to get the RCI experience but with a few less of the kid desired things.

Here were the options that I saw on the RCI page that will fit the bill although not necessarily Eastern Caribbean... is there a reason you only want the Eastern route?

Ship Name: Serenade Of The Seas

Departure Port: San Juan, Puerto Rico

Ports of Call: San Juan, Puerto Rico; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; St. John's, Antigua; Castries, St. Lucia; Bridgetown, Barbados; San Juan, Puerto Rico

2008 Date(s): Dec 27

Stateroom:Prices From*:Interior Oceanview Balcony Deluxe & Suite $1,849.00 $2,249.00 $2,699.00 $3,949.00

Ship Name: Adventure Of The Seas

Departure Port: San Juan, Puerto Rico

Ports of Call: San Juan, Puerto Rico; Oranjestad, Aruba; Willemstad, Curacao; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; San Juan, Puerto Rico

2008 Date(s): Dec 28

Stateroom:Prices From*:Interior Oceanview Balcony Deluxe & Suite $1,669.00 $2,599.00 $2,949.00 $4,499.00 Ship Name: Voyager Of The Seas

Departure Port: Galveston, Texas

Ports of Call: Galveston, Texas; Cozumel, Mexico; Roatan, Honduras; Costa Maya, Mexico; Yucatan (Progreso), Mexico; Galveston, Texas

2008 Date(s): Dec 28

Stateroom:Prices From*:Interior Oceanview Balcony Deluxe & Suite $1,519.00 $2,029.00 $2,299.00 $3,849.00 Ship Name: Liberty Of The Seas

Departure Port: Miami, Florida

Ports of Call: Miami, Florida; Labadee, Haiti; Montego Bay, Jamaica; George Town, Grand Cayman; Cozumel, Mexico; Miami, Florida

2008 Date(s): Dec 27

Stateroom:Prices From*:Interior Oceanview Balcony Deluxe & Suite $2,199.00 $2,799.00 $3,039.00 $5,399.00

In addition to the ones the others listed all of these would be a nice cruise. Having said that if they could go a couple of weeks later or a couple of weeks before Christmas the prices would be a lot cheaper.

Feel free to email me if you would like to ask me specific questions.

I am glad to repay my debt to you for guideance on my HAL cruise in late 2005.

jc

jc..... awesome breakdown. Thank you so much.

You owed me nothing (You know how much I love chatting about HAL :) ) but certainly have here provided me with great info. :)

Very appreciative of your help.

I am going to suggest she rethink this bit about having to cruise New Years. DH told her she would be paying the highest fare of the year but you know the romance of a New Years Cruise! Irresistible to some. I want her to really enjoy her first cruise and I think it a mistake for her to fight the crowds and kids etc

Thanks for all your help..... all of you.

jc..... awesome breakdown. Thank you so much.

You owed me nothing (You know how much I love chatting about HAL :) ) but certainly have here provided me with great info. :)

Very appreciative of your help.

I am going to suggest she rethink this bit about having to cruise New Years. DH told her she would be paying the highest fare of the year but you know the romance of a New Years Cruise! Irresistible to some. I want her to really enjoy her first cruise and I think it a mistake for her to fight the crowds and kids etc

Thanks for all your help..... all of you.

sail, it's already too late to get a reasonable price on a cabin for NEXT New Year's, let alone this year.

We're on the Mariner New Year's cruise out of Port Canaveral (Orlando is the nearest airport), and the cost was decent when I booked it the day the bookings opened. Now? OUTLANDISH.

The weeks AFTER Thanksgiving and BEFORE Christmas can be a great time to cruise, pricewise.

sail, it's already too late to get a reasonable price on a cabin for NEXT New Year's, let alone this year.

We're on the Mariner New Year's cruise out of Port Canaveral (Orlando is the nearest airport), and the cost was decent when I booked it the day the bookings opened. Now? OUTLANDISH.

The weeks AFTER Thanksgiving and BEFORE Christmas can be a great time to cruise, pricewise.

I agree with everything you said Carol. We have had some great mid December cruises with very reasonable prices.

jc

Also, is there an option to leave the baby with someone while they cruise alone. Our first cruise was just DH and I (we flew the kids to my Dad's for the week). They got to spend time with Grandpa and DH and I got some much needed alone time:D .

I've been on CC for a loooong time and have posted more than a few times but have never before cruised on over here to RCI Board that I recall.

Wow..........20,000 posts. IMPRESSIVE!!!!!!:D

Sail,

Our cruises have exclusively been on HAL (6 different ships) and Royal Caribbean (Serenade of the Seas only). We've loved all of our cruises (Volendam a little less than most, Noordam the best of all the HAL ships), and feel that HAL and RCI each excel in some areas. I would strongly recommend the Serenade itinerary out of San Juan if your friends can manage it. We did a 10-day version of this itinerary two years ago. On the 7-day, you visit 5 islands, as jc noted in his post.

Serenade and her sister ships (Jewel, Brilliance and Radiance) are amazing with soaring atriums that are full of light because of all of the glass used in the mid-ships area. These ships have a covered pool area called the Solarium that is for adults only and is open virtually 24 hours a day (one of my pet peeves on HAL is the early closing of the ships' pools). The grand suite on RCI is just a bit smaller than the S suite on HAL, and the larger owners suite beats HAL's by a mile. There is also a junior suite that gives you a roomy cabin but is not a true suite in the sense of providing perks (other than an extra cruise credit in the loyalty program, Crown & Anchor). Balcony cabins are adequate but I think the verandahs are smaller than on most HAL ships. We've found the food on HAL and RCI to be pretty comparable, but actually thought RCI was more accommodating on special requests.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions if your friends decide they are interested in Radiance.

Susan

p.s. As noted by others, prices are much lower in January. The January 24 sailing of Serenade has relatively good prices and lots of availability. Prices for 3 people: Owners Suite, $6k; grand suite, $4.7k; junior suite, $3.9k; D1 balcony, $3.2k. There are other categories of balcony cabin, but the D1's are larger at 204 sf versus 179 sf, and I think they are the only ones that have a bathtub instead of just a shower. (The owners suite has a separate tub and steam shower, bidet and double marble sinks, by the way). I should note that the Royal Suite is still available for January 24 at just $8.9k.

I don't know about everyone else, but those New Years Eve cruises give me the Heebie Jeebies!!! :p

I know you say the cruise you're looking for is what YOU want, for her, but I bet it wouldn't really matter. I had no idea about cruising and just picked one during the time frame I needed (honeymoon). For her first cruise, she'd probably be happy with any RCCL ship. My first room was a small oceanview on Monarch, turns out that was all that was needed.....a place to sleep, shower and.....well, you get the picture! :D My wife and I were in our early 30's on our first cruise, and we had a ball. We're not big partiers, but like to have fun. Anyway, that's my take on it. It's nice of you to help her out, good luck with it!

1GENRE_ACTION_POSEIDONADVENTURE.jpg

Sail: Unless there's a reason they have to go out of Fort Lauderdale, I would recommend the Mariner out of Port Canaveral on 7 December. Balconies start at $1119 and the port is much easier to embark from than Fort Lauderdale.

If it has to be Fort Lauderdale a good price is on the Independence on 10 January - Balconies start at $1339.

Both of those are Eastern Caribbean.

Sail: Unless there's a reason they have to go out of Fort Lauderdale, I would recommend the Mariner out of Port Canaveral on 7 December. Balconies start at $1119 and the port is much easier to embark from than Fort Lauderdale.

If it has to be Fort Lauderdale a good price is on the Independence on 10 January - Balconies start at $1339.

Both of those are Eastern Caribbean.

I second this recommendation... Mariner is a wonderful ship and Port Canaveral is an easy departure port, IME...

Mariner is not as new as Freedom, Liberty, or Independence but still has many of the same bells and whistles at a more affordable price...

I'm so appreciative of the wonderful help you all have offered.

Since my last post, after sharing info I had gathered here, she has decided that child is staying home with grammie and granddad. :) They will cruise the week After New Years in order to get better pricing but still need to only cruise 7 days and from FLL.

Actually, it makes it easier the more she puts limitations and requirements....elimination process helps limit the choices. :)

I'm getting an RCI education and time I did so.

I'm such a loyal HAL cruiser, I have not remained current re: other lines.

Thank you so much for your help.

You're a great group over here.

Archived