LuggageLess Cruising

prarie cruiser

I have to agree with Putterdude.:) We aren't going on vacation to spend time in the laundry room since there are so many other things to do. When you spend a couple thousand dollars for a cruise, you should be able to spend $50 for an extra suitcase. We can stay home and do laundry for free. On our last cruise, 16 nights, we did laundry a couple of times. The laundry rooms were very crowded and it took us several hours to complete the chore.:( If it hadn't been such a long cruise, you wouldn't have found us doing laundry. As far as people not noticing what others are wearing, we had a fellow cruiser who wore the same two Michigan shirts the entire cruise. He had a strong odor about him and we had to change seats in the theater when he sat in front of us.:eek: You can pack smart and still have clean clothes for everyday without bringing your entire wardrobe.

Something for some to keep in mind. Larger person larger size clothes and larger suitcase needed. The poor person who is overweight gets stuck. Especially more so if that pay by the pound for airline tickets comes to play. I travel a lot with a friend who is over 300 pounds and her suitcase is always packed fuller than mine even if we bring the same amount of clothing. So that would require a carry semi full on AND a full suitcase for each trip.

I have to agree with Putterdude.:) We aren't going on vacation to spend time in the laundry room since there are so many other things to do. When you spend a couple thousand dollars for a cruise, you should be able to spend $50 for an extra suitcase. We can stay home and do laundry for free. On our last cruise, 16 nights, we did laundry a couple of times. The laundry rooms were very crowded and it took us several hours to complete the chore.:( If it hadn't been such a long cruise, you wouldn't have found us doing laundry.
Ordinarily, I would agree with you for a 7- or 10-day cruise but if you are going to be away for two weeks or more, particularly if you are in a hot/humid climate, either you do laundry or pay to have it done. I'm now Elite and I added up the laundry charges that were reversed on my Sapphire cruise and it came to more than $200 -- just for me. If I weren't Elite, it definitely would have been the laundry room for me. As for it always being crowded, I've done laundry many times and always go after 4PM. I have never had a problem finding a washer and dryer and am completely done by 5:30PM, plenty of time to dress for dinner, have a drink, etc.

I'm still working on getting the weight down... and I'm working on packing less too. Some things we've found:

• Pack one formal outfit - so what if you wear the same thing twice?
  • Send formal shirt out for laundering right after the first formal night. Cost onboard is cheaper than our local laundry.
  • Reduce the number of shoes we're taking. Wear the heaviest/bulkiest if possible (for long flights I wear the most comfortable).
  • Plan on buying a T Shirt or two as souveniers - wear them onboard and don't pack something from home.
  • Fold all clothes neatly while packing - this really helps to pack more in less space.
  • Mix your clothes and your spouse's (assuming you have one) in the suitcases, so loss of any one suitcase is not a disaster.
  • Plan on sending out a bag of laundry for the longer trips. Watch for the special offer on this. We don't find the cost bad considering how much else we've spent on the cruise and airfare.
  • Consider your wearing pattern and how the clothes get dirty etc. For instance formal socks worn for 2-3 hours with minimal use while watching a show can be reworn. If you are dancing, maybe not. - the key is this may allow packing a little less.
  • We don't bring cans of soda, bottles of whatever, duct tape, travel clocks, shoe caddies, all the other stuff recommended elsewhere.
  • Lastly - if you've cruised before, and brought home unused clothes, this time don't pack them !
  • and another "lastly". Extra clothes can come from a fear of forgetting something. We bring an attitude of "if we forgot something, we can buy it." And it works - the shirts I've bought onboard bring back fond memories everytime I wear them.

.....If the traveling public finally says "enough" and travels light for now, they may get a clue and it would end up being less expensive in the long run for all.

Sherry and Mike,

That is a opinion I agree with and fully support.

....He had a strong odor about him and we had to change seats in the theater when he sat in front of us.:eek: You can pack smart and still have clean clothes for everyday without bringing your entire wardrobe.

LOL.

Many of us pack light and STILL have clean clothes for everyday.

I'm still working on getting the weight down... and I'm working on packing less too. Some things we've found:

• Pack one formal outfit - so what if you wear the same thing twice?
  • Send formal shirt out for laundering right after the first formal night. Cost onboard is cheaper than our local laundry.
  • Reduce the number of shoes we're taking. Wear the heaviest/bulkiest if possible (for long flights I wear the most comfortable).
  • Plan on buying a T Shirt or two as souveniers - wear them onboard and don't pack something from home.
  • Fold all clothes neatly while packing - this really helps to pack more in less space.
  • Mix your clothes and your spouse's (assuming you have one) in the suitcases, so loss of any one suitcase is not a disaster.
  • Plan on sending out a bag of laundry for the longer trips. Watch for the special offer on this. We don't find the cost bad considering how much else we've spent on the cruise and airfare.
  • Consider your wearing pattern and how the clothes get dirty etc. For instance formal socks worn for 2-3 hours with minimal use while watching a show can be reworn. If you are dancing, maybe not. - the key is this may allow packing a little less.
  • We don't bring cans of soda, bottles of whatever, duct tape, travel clocks, shoe caddies, all the other stuff recommended elsewhere.
  • Lastly - if you've cruised before, and brought home unused clothes, this time don't pack them !
  • and another "lastly". Extra clothes can come from a fear of forgetting something. We bring an attitude of "if we forgot something, we can buy it." And it works - the shirts I've bought onboard bring back fond memories everytime I wear them.

Great idea's.

I also still try to keep the weight/count of bags down, on our last cruise we took the 2 kids(9 and 13) for a 30 day cruise with 2 nights pre and 5 nights post - imagine if I let the kids just pack whatever, besides the extra cost we wouldn't be able to handle the amount of luggage, even with limiting them we had tons of it:D

Whenever I book a cruise, I have a ritual. Some people think it's odd, but it works for me...and my past 21 cruises. I start with a yellow legal pad and a pencil. I make a list of everything I bring. This way, I can edit between the time I book and the actual cruise. This is also part of the fun for me...helps to make the cruise seem longer...part of the anticipation. I try to list things that go together or mix and match. That way, I get a lot more mileage on what I bring. Also, I tend to pack lightweight clothing packs easier. My eveningwear of choice is dresses...and yes, a different one every night...by choice, but it still all fits. I have also discovered the new styles of Crocs shoes, that weigh practically nothing...I have a couple of pairs of sandals, wedges and the traditional style. They are super comfortable are perfect for travel. I still manage to fit it all into one suitcase. Where there's a will, there's a way...and my way is with a list.:)

We've cruised enough to figure out how to cut back on the clothes by taking account of what we actually used on our previous cruises. It's far less than what you might think you need.

I do have a hard time with packing when it comes to all the "extras". We bring a lot, because we use a lot of things beyond clothes, and would like some thoughts about that. We bring things like a camera and cell phones that then need the chargers. I can't use the blow dryers on the ships because they don't do an adequate job , so I bring one. Toiletries x 2, jewelry, makeup, sunscreen, vitamins and medications, beach bag. We bring our own snokel equipment because it is better and we like our own. ETC...

Anyone got good ideas. Yes you could not bring them but there are things everyone gets use to using daily.

When packing for my DD, I intentionally pack clothes that I am ready to throw out, but that she can wear at least a few more times. Then we throw those clothes away onboard, and she has that much more room for all her souvenirs!

I'm getting ready to start organizing our outfits for our Baltic cruise, so I'm enjoying all the tips. Keep them coming!

Wendy

We've cruised enough to figure out how to cut back on the clothes by taking account of what we actually used on our previous cruises. It's far less than what you might think you need.

I do have a hard time with packing when it comes to all the "extras". We bring a lot, because we use a lot of things beyond clothes, and would like some thoughts about that. We bring things like a camera and cell phones that then need the chargers. I can't use the blow dryers on the ships because they don't do an adequate job , so I bring one. Toiletries x 2, jewelry, makeup, sunscreen, vitamins and medications, beach bag. We bring our own snokel equipment because it is better and we like our own. ETC...

Anyone got good ideas. Yes you could not bring them but there are things everyone gets use to using daily.

We pack "extras" as well, as it enhances our enjoyment of the vacation - if we are paying for a cruise we are going to enjoy it, no matter what! So the cameras, sunscreen, snorkel gear, prescription and just in case meds come along.....

The non-liquid stuff goes in carry on bags - jewelry, camera gear, all meds and other pills, snorkel gear (sooooo heavy) and I try to pack the heaviest weight pieces of clothing in the carry on - like the sequined jacket for formal night. I use Bare Minerals make up, so I am not carrying liquids that need to go in checked baggage, and I do look for travel sizes of toiletries I like at stores like Target - they seem to consistently keep their travel size section pretty well stocked.

We do plan on doing laundry on board - I like to bring home clean clothes to keep the suitcases fresher. So I pack a few 2 load size bottles of All Small and Mightly, fabric softener sheets, stain stick, and the tide spot stick.

I use a legal pad to make a list for each cruise, and keep the lists, noting what we did and didn't use, so over the last 5 years the list is pretty well fine-tuned. Trying to take fewer pairs of shoes, and since I don't carry a handbag at all on board, only take one to use for shore excursions when needed.

DH and I booked Canada/NE cruise 10/19 (last one of the season I think). As we get closer, I'll start looking at the weather (like that will help!:p) but I've found the Canada/NE and Alaska cruises are harder to pack light on than a Caribbean cruise - for all the obvious reasons! I think I will do the light layers - as I can always buy a sweatshirt or 2 at a port.

We leave out of Brooklyn, so we're flying in the day before. This may sound crazy, but I like my room COLD!! and the air conditioning is never cold enough for me. So, I plan on buying a small fan in NYC or NJ and am taking it on the ship. I don't plan on bringing it back with me. The steward can keep it or throw it out - but I'm not lugging it home! I buy my laundry detergent onboard and usually do a couple loads towards the end of the cruise - if need be. I always pack too many shoes, as does DH. This time, my goal is to reduce shoes!!!

When packing for my DD, I intentionally pack clothes that I am ready to throw out, but that she can wear at least a few more times. Then we throw those clothes away onboard, and she has that much more room for all her souvenirs!

I'm getting ready to start organizing our outfits for our Baltic cruise, so I'm enjoying all the tips. Keep them coming!

Wendy

Instead of throwing those old clothes in the garbage, just leave them behind in a washroom or bench when you are traveling in poor countries.

Years ago in Africa I threw some old things into the garbage before heading on to another country. Apparently I caused a huge fight in the street. A servant showed me a beautiful patchwork quilt that had pieces of some of my favourite old clothes sewn into it. In poor countries absolutely nothing is wasted.

[quote name='ssantow'][COLOR=indigo]I now have an excuse to leave my Tuxedo and all the accessories at home[/COLOR][/quote] You don't need an excuse. by the way, nice avatar picture of you in the tux. You look good. Why not continue to look good?
I have found that a suit weighs as much and takes as much room as my tuxedo and accessories. The regular shoes weigh more than the patent leathers, too.

[quote name='caribbeanboy']If there is no more formal nights, I don't think it will be a problem to take a carry on, this counts especially for men.[/quote]Ah, but here ARE formal nights on Princess Cruises. And I am glad of it, because I can look my best for my darling wife, and she appreciates it. It is great to see her smile like that.

I thought of another way to reduce weight and content in my suitcase - and that is "I don't take jeans along. Dockers are lighter, take up less volume and look more resort casual."

We do take all the extras we believe needed - passports, meds, camera, jewelry, travel sized toiletries, high factor sunscreen. All except the sunscreen go in our small carry-on "personal item" as they contain "cruise buster" contents that never leave our grasp. We use the stuff provided by Princess (soap, shampoo, hairdryer), so don't carry these.

[quote name='burm']Instead of throwing those old clothes in the garbage, just leave them behind in a washroom or bench when you are traveling in poor countries.

Years ago in Africa I threw some old things into the garbage before heading on to another country. Apparently I caused a huge fight in the street. A servant showed me a beautiful patchwork quilt that had pieces of some of my favourite old clothes sewn into it. In poor countries absolutely nothing is wasted.[/quote]

I often do the same as has been mentioned above- bring clothes/shoes on vacation that aren't unwearable, but perhaps a bit more "tired" looking, don't fit quite right, et cetera, and I always leave them somewhere that they're easily found and still usable if someone wants them. That way I don't feel bad about getting rid of clothes I'm not crazy about, I have lighter suitcases/room for souvenirs on the way home, and maybe someone gets something they or their family can use.

[quote name='tvaud'][B][COLOR=magenta]Whenever I book a cruise, I have a ritual. Some people think it's odd, but it works for me...and my past 21 cruises. I start with a yellow legal pad and a pencil. I make a list of everything I bring. This way, I can edit between the time I book and the actual cruise. This is also part of the fun for me...helps to make the cruise seem longer...part of the anticipation. I try to list things that go together or mix and match. That way, I get a lot more mileage on what I bring. Also, I tend to pack lightweight clothing packs easier. My eveningwear of choice is dresses...and yes, a different one every night...by choice, but it still all fits. I have also discovered the new styles of Crocs shoes, that weigh practically nothing...I have a couple of pairs of sandals, wedges and the traditional style. They are super comfortable are perfect for travel. I still manage to fit it all into one suitcase. Where there's a will, there's a way...and my way is with a list.:) [/COLOR][/B][/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=indigo]I do something like this, too, except first I list each day of the cruise and write down what I'll wear on each day and evening. I then edit that until it's down to the bare bones, making sure that everything for day is worn more than once, etc. The advantage is that I can see at a glance that I'm taking enough to cover each day/night, and then I can resist the temptation as I'm actually packing to throw in one more t-short or pair of shorts "just in case." I also wear mostly dresses in the evening because they weigh less/take up less room than either capris or skirts with the associated tops. And I find that on smart casual nights, chic flip flops look great and take up almost no room in the case and weigh practically nothing. [/COLOR][/FONT]

RDSQRL,Thanks for the idea of the dressy flip flops! And wearing more skirts and dresses! I generally have a black pair of sandals that I wear for all of my dress clothes- but I did see a cute pair of flip flops that would've fit the bill! I make a list too. I am almost to the point wher I can pack for a 7 day cruise with just my carry on. my 14 day cruise coming up poses a new problem. Thanks for everyone and their ideas!
Gabrielle

I am down to a 21" carry on rollerboard. I like my luggage to arrive when I do and I have had enough lost lugguge to last a lifetime. This is what I use for a 7 day cruise and what I will use for a 4 week Europe trip. DW is trying to size down to a 25" roller with a goal to get to 21". For us, airline surcharges have nothing to do with it. We have to fly to take a cruise, so we usually combine the cruise with something else. Just try humping a couple of 27" suitcases on and off trains or along cobbled streets. We find that the less be bring, the more we enjoy. One exception is the trip home. We bring a small nylon bag. If we buy something towards the end of the trip we will check a bag home...after all it is only dirty clothing and memories.

I am a big fan of packing lists. After I forgot my dress shoes two trips in a row (when I was young and too proud to make a "grown-up" packing list:o ), I started doing it.

I have a one-page, three column list for most of the trips we take. I go through and delete (without saving) everything that doesn't apply for the trip. Then I print out the list and start adding extras that might apply to that specific trip. For basic family trips I print the list out about a week or so ahead to give me time to remember stuff. For cruises or foreign travel, further ahead. The list also has a section for must-do, like canceling newspaper, arranging pet care, etc.

I pack for my kids and myself, then DH packs and I go through the list with him to be sure he hasn't spaced out on something like pajamas or shaving kit (both have happened).

We are fairly stingy packers if we are flying. We did a 7 night family vacation last year (with four kids) in a big suitcase, a small pilot's case, and a duffel bag. Plus two school-sized backpacks for carry-ons and an umbrella stroller. We always consider when/if we can launder, and how easy it would be to buy things if we forgot something or the weather changed drastically.

Our issue is not the fees for the luggage, which still hurt, but the hassle of corraling all the kids and the luggage without any of them getting lost or taken. We make a conscious choice not to overburden ourselves at the expense of safety.

PHXscuba
"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

[quote name='caribbeanboy']If there is no more formal nights, I don't think it will be a problem to take a carry on, this counts especially for men.[/QUOTE]

In our past 8 cruises, we each only took one carry-on, plus a camera equipment bag and an oversize purse. This included our 16day Transatlantic done in April.

We packed lightweight and co-ordinated garments.

My husband packed a suit, 2 shirts, 2 ties, 2 dress pants, and 2 casual pants, plus several knit shirts and 2 to 3 shorts. He also packed one pair of dress shoes, and wore the boatshoes.

I packed 2 full-length gowns, 2 long velvet skirts, 2 silk pants, several silk tops and knit tops. More than enough casual tops, pants and shorts - why I said More than enough? because each cruise I ended up wearing only once or not wearing some at all! I packed 1 pair of heels, 1 pair of flats, 1 pair of sandals and wore the heavy canvas. I also brought evening bags and scarves with me.

We often travel thru different climates - such as from Summer in US to Winter in Australia - we hand-carry the outer jackets instead of packing them.

Whether on a cruise or on a land trip, we hand-washed our undies. We only did laundry on cruises longer than 10 days.

It can be done, with formal wears too, once you know what materials packed well and wear well. Nothing goes into the carry-on if it would only work with one other item. Everything must do double/triple duties in order for me to bring them.

This has nothing to do with fees, but we need to travel light as we always have weeks long land trips tagged on the cruises, either pre or post - we dont want to lug the luggages around, especially travel in Europe and Japan, by train.

[quote name='nho9504'][B]In our past 8 cruises, we each only took one carry-on, plus a camera equipment bag and an oversize purse. This included our 16day Transatlantic done in April[/B].

We packed lightweight and co-ordinated garments.

My husband packed a suit, 2 shirts, 2 ties, 2 dress pants, and 2 casual pants, plus several knit shirts and 2 to 3 shorts. He also packed one pair of dress shoes, and wore the boatshoes.

I packed 2 full-length gowns, 2 long velvet skirts, 2 silk pants, several silk tops and knit tops. More than enough casual tops, pants and shorts - why I said More than enough? because each cruise I ended up wearing only once or not wearing some at all! I packed 1 pair of heels, 1 pair of flats, 1 pair of sandals and wore the heavy canvas. I also brought evening bags and scarves with me.

We often travel thru different climates - such as from Summer in US to Winter in Australia - we hand-carry the outer jackets instead of packing them.

Whether on a cruise or on a land trip, we hand-washed our undies. We only did laundry on cruises longer than 10 days.

It can be done, with formal wears too, once you know what materials packed well and wear well. Nothing goes into the carry-on if it would only work with one other item. Everything must do double/triple duties in order for me to bring them.

[B]This has nothing to do with fees, but we need to travel light[/B] as we always have weeks long land trips tagged on the cruises, either pre or post - we dont want to lug the luggages around, especially travel in Europe and Japan, by train.[/quote]
That is the way it's done. Thanks for laying it out.

[quote name='JerseyGuys']Princess Luggage Valet
Introducing a new door-to-door luggage service that delivers your bags from your home to your stateroom. No more hauling baggage through the airport, no more checking or standing in the crowd at the baggage claim. With Princess Luggage Valet you can enjoy the ultimate in ease and convenience when you travel. Make it a carefree escape with the new Princess Luggage Valet Service.
Princess Luggage Valet Service is provided by DHL Worldwide Express and is available exclusively to Princess Cruises’ passengers. Domestic and international shipping is available. Standard rates start as low as $90.00US per piece each way for domestic express shipments and $250.00US per piece each way for international. Standard rates are based on shipment size, weight and destination and include limited Shipment Value Protection. To qualify for standard rates, reservations must be secured at least 30 days prior to your sailing date. Service can be requested within 30 days of your sailing, but will be subject to an additional cost, and will be based on availability of express service to the destination. Domestic shipments are typically scheduled for pick up 7 days prior to the sailing departure date and most international shipments are typically scheduled for pick up 14 days prior to the sailing departure date. Service is also available for post cruise shipping.[/QUOTE]

Has anyone used this service and/or the third party services that will ship your luggage directly? How do they compare for price and service? It seems really pricey but, since we're spending four days in Venice before we board our 21-day TA cruise, it would be wonderful to not have to wrangle our cruise luggage on the plane, have to deal with it potentially getting lost in an unfamiliar airport, etc.

Kathi & Leo

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][B][I]This has me thinking also Latitude. My headache is mainly formal wear for the cruise. If I could ship it (at not too horrid a cost) directly to either the ship or the pre-cruise hotel, that would be terrific. :cool: [/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][B][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][B][I]I'm going to explore this idea more, checking out DHL/FedEx and the like. I read of someone using UPS flat rate boxes but that only worked if you could mail from american ports and I'm going to Europe.[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived