Hotels in Rome

We are staying 3 days pre and 1 day post in Rome before our Med. cruise... Which hotels will give us the "best experience" and good locale of the city? We are looking for at the least a 3 star hotel and if affordable would do a 5 star :D We don't want to do a "best western" .. but something totally unique to Rome.. Any ideas? We are trying to book with a tour company and they suggested Hotel Barocco.. but I was wondering if we could get something better for the same price..

Oh and the hotel location close to buses, etc..

Thanks for all the suggestions

There are many threads on this board discussing hotels in Rome. You can do a search, or if search is down, just scroll through the first 5 or so pages. I'm sure you'll find many suggestions.

"5 star" and "affordable" are words that do not go together in Rome. Also, keep in mind that in Europe "5 star" does not mean the same as it does in the US. It refers more to the amenities that are offered at the hotel rather than the degree of luxury.

If you want an Italian experience, I suggest looking at Albergo del Senato. It is consistently a top-rated hotel on Tripadvisor and its location (directly across from the Pantheon) and old-world style cannot be beat, IMHO. They have a lovely rooftop terrace and the hotel is walking distance to just about everything you will want to see.

http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187791-d191099-Reviews-Albergo_del_Senato-Rome_Lazio.html

Keep in mind that this "3 star" hotel can run $400 or more per night for a double ....and you get an idea of what hotel prices in Rome are like.

Check out www.venere.com Lots of good hotel info here. You can pick them by stars, price, location etc etc....

then when you have found 3 or 4 you like - head over to Tripadvisor and read the reviews...

We stayed at Hotel Mozart 2 nights precruise. We really liked the location very near the Spanish Steps. Very safe location, great shopping, restaurants etc. Check it out www.hotelmozart.com

I second the recommendation for the Hotel Mozart. We stayed 2 nights in 2006. I've been to Rome 6-7 times and I think this was the nicest hotel I've stayed at. Great location. Nice staff. Large rooms, for Europe. Ask them about the suites, which are in a separate building. We didn't use those. We were 2 families, one with 3 people and one with 4, and we had 2 rooms -- very unusual for Europe, where there is usually a maximum of 3 to a room.

All the above areas that were mentioned would certainly be fabulous !!

If you're there, you're a close walk to everything and you'll certainly enjoy Rome !!!!!

Also plan to see some of the sites at night when they're lite up.

And don't wait til the last day to try gelato !! MMMmm !!!!

Sharon

Hi,

I see that many of you have stayed in Rome prior to your cruise departure which is what we are planning to do in Sept. Could you give us any advice on getting to the pier? Do they have shuttles like we do in North America? Any info would be welcome.

Regarding hotels - we managed to book three nights using a combination of points (Starwood) and cash so this is something you might check into if you have any points. We are staying at the Hotel Eden which is rated as seven stars for points + $150/night.

This will be our first European cruise and we are really looking forward to the experience.

Thanks.:)

We are staying 3 days pre and 1 day post in Rome before our Med. cruise... Which hotels will give us the "best experience" and good locale of the city? We are looking for at the least a 3 star hotel and if affordable would do a 5 star :D We don't want to do a "best western" .. but something totally unique to Rome.. Any ideas? We are trying to book with a tour company and they suggested Hotel Barocco.. but I was wondering if we could get something better for the same price..

The Mayfair residence is a good option near spanish steps, with kitchen and a reasonable price. good trip!

We just stayed one night at the 3 Star Hotel Alimandi -Via Tunisi 8 in Rome....It was like coming home. Staff could not do enough for us. They picked us up at the airport (free) & had a wonderful breakfast in their roof top patio....all included in the price of the room. It was very clean, had air conditioning & was located at the steps of the Vatican. Nice resturants within walking distance & great little food store near by if you need to pick up a few bottles of wine for your cruise. Very reasonable prices. Check out the picture on Travel Adivisor. Email is alimandi@tin.it

I would stay there again in a second.

Hi,

I see that many of you have stayed in Rome prior to your cruise departure which is what we are planning to do in Sept. Could you give us any advice on getting to the pier? Do they have shuttles like we do in North America? Any info would be welcome.

Regarding hotels - we managed to book three nights using a combination of points (Starwood) and cash so this is something you might check into if you have any points. We are staying at the Hotel Eden which is rated as seven stars for points + $150/night.

This will be our first European cruise and we are really looking forward to the experience.

Thanks.:)

They do have shuttles, although a lot more expensive than our Super Shuttle. Link to one of hundreds

http://www.romashuttleairport.it/seaport.html

I used www.viator.com for my transfer from the airport to Rome.

Then on our roll call for our sailing, 6 of us are sharing a van transfer from hotel in Rome to Civitavecchia with Stefano of Rome Cabs.

Check out all alternatives to see what best suits you.

newbie, if you are wanting the Roman/Italian experience, I recommend Navona Suites, http://www.navonagallerysuites.com/ They are apartments located on Governo Vecchio 1 block from P. Navona. It is a great local area with small grocery store, bakery, antique shops, restaurants, great gelato shop, etc. The apartment building is from the 14 or 1500's & is awesome. Feel like a local! The largest apartment has a full kitchen & a large terrace with table & chairs for outside dining/snacking/a little or lot of wine sipping! The owners are very nice. We've stayed there & the apartments are clean, daily maid service (plus she washed our dishes! we were there for 2 weeks), & we found a stocked refrig when we arrived. There are numerous bus stops within 1 block in different directions, or can walk to the sites. Go 1 block & Campo dei Fiori is across the street. The shop owners got to know us & were very friendly & came out to say goodbye when our transport car arrived to take us away!

Good luck & have a great time.

Forgot, you asked about elevator - these apartments are on the level above street level; no elevator; but we are senior in years & did not have a problem at all; only 1 flight of stairs with average #, not large amount of stairs.

We stayed at the Canali and there is no elevator--but we packed light so it wasn't a big deal even though we had a top floor room with a huge terrace. We loved the hotel and location, we really knew that we were in the heart of Rome.

You will get help with your luggage.

No elevator at Residenza Canali, but my BIL who has bad ginocchios (knees) was on a lower level and did okay. DH & I had a top floor terrace room which met my dream criteria for a room in Rome. The view was special to me because although it was mainly of other rooftops I felt that I was experiencing Rome as Romans do.

The stairs are a climb but we are in our 60s and did just fine. The only drawback is that the stairwell is not airconditioned and, since heat rises, the hallway outside our door was quite toasty.

• 3 weeks later...

Considering ourselves more traveler than tourist we prefer to stay in Bed and Breakfasts. We have used Venere.com and have been more than pleased with the accommodations we reserved with them.

In Rome, if a B&B is ok, I recommend B&B Angetode - Via Licia, Rome. It was outstanding and previously featured in an Australian news paper as one of the best in Rome. It is located in a very nice neighborhood with stores and restaurants nearby. The grocery store is just about a 1/2 block away. Tina provided us with all kinds of information about Rome which was in our room when we arrived as well as the Rome City Card.

We were able to walk to the Roman Baths, Colosseum, Metro, Buses all within 10 to 15 minutes.

Oh, and the price for Angetode (Guardian Angel) is affordable and the breakfast was very good.

Hope this helps.

Judee

The del Senato was just perfect for us.I will forever remember lying on our bed and actually still seeing the Pantheon. It was one of the most spectacular visions. It was right up there with a room on the rim of the Grand Canyon we had. It was fun waking up during the night and still seeing the activity in the square, then,in the morning, people watching the locals hurrying off to work, We got to enter the Pantheon when it first opened in the morning, We were the only one in there.

Hotel Santa Maria is an old convent in the Trastevere area. You can't get much more beautiful or authentic. :D We stayed there for 3 nights pre-cruise and just fell in love with the place. It is ranked quite highly in Tripadvisor also.

We stayed at Marcella Royal....nice hotel...clean and great roof garden but we had to take a taxi everywhere.

I saw the Hotel Homs - great location: steps away from the Spanish Steps, right in the middle of great shopping and restaurants. I wish I had stayed there.

I just had to chime in when I saw your comment. ;)

We returned from Rome two weeks ago, where we stayed at the Best Western Canada. This hotel was the most unique experience that I have ever had. Totally unlike any hotel I have ever stayed in. The location was perfect, as it was not too close to the rustle of tourist and noise, yet was within walking distance of everything.

I wish I had taken photos of the public areas. They were small quaint spaces for casual conversations and drinks. Complimentary afternoon cocktail hour w/appetizers was served every afternoon, as well as a full breakfast and Internet use. The desk was very helpful and the employees extremely friendly.

Three charming roadside cafes were just down the block, and a BANC w/ATM machine was just around the corner.

The hotel rooms were very large, clean and comfortable. We had huge closets and a large safe, plus a flat screened TV. In the bath, we were provided slippers and all types of sundries, along with large fluffy towels. The beds were your typical European bed, however how many hotels have you stayed in that had a hand painted fresco over your bed. Beautiful! :)

I have posted some photos of the hotel on my Photobucket site, if anyone is interested in taking a look. ;)

http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/NewHomeBuilder/Mediterranean%20Cruise/Best%20Western%20Hotel%20Canada/?albumview=slideshow

P.S. - I would rate the hotel a 3-4*, based on our experience. I am not sure what the rating actually is, but the price was right around 195 euro per night in June.

I just had to chime in when I saw your comment. ;)

We returned from Rome two weeks ago, where we stayed at the Best Western Canada. This hotel was the most unique experience that I have ever had. Totally unlike any hotel I have ever stayed in. The location was perfect, as it was not too close to the rustle of tourist and noise, yet was within walking distance of everything.

I wish I had taken photos of the public areas. They were small quaint spaces for casual conversations and drinks. Complimentary afternoon cocktail hour w/appetizers was served every afternoon, as well as a full breakfast and Internet use. The desk was very helpful and the employees extremely friendly.

Three charming roadside cafes were just down the block, and a BANC w/ATM machine was just around the corner.

The hotel rooms were very large, clean and comfortable. We had huge closets and a large safe, plus a flat screened TV. In the bath, we were provided slippers and all types of sundries, along with large fluffy towels. The beds were your typical European bed, however how many hotels have you stayed in that had a hand painted fresco over your bed. Beautiful! :)

I have posted some photos of the hotel on my Photobucket site, if anyone is interested in taking a look. ;)

http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/NewHomeBuilder/Mediterranean%20Cruise/Best%20Western%20Hotel%20Canada/?albumview=slideshow

P.S. - I would rate the hotel a 3-4*, based on our experience. I am not sure what the rating actually is, but the price was right around 195 euro per night in June.

I was going to comment that we use Best Western a lot in Europe because they are independently owned. They are all unique, it is not like staying in other chains. We have had great experiences with them in Venice, Ravenna, Lake Como etc. We are booked at the Canada in Rome in a few weeks so I was delighted to hear it was a good experience.

I have one question, was the area safe around there for at night, as I have heard mixed things about the Termini area.

Thanks,b

We felt very safe at night, although we didn't venture more than a couple of blocks at night. We ate at both nearby street cafes. The Termini is close (within walking distance), but not that close.

Were you able to view my photos? I think I posted the link wrong.

Archived