Ship Baggage Tags

We did not book our airfare through the Royal Caribbean, and we are flying into Vancouver one day early. RCCL's pre-cruise checklist indicates we should place our ship baggage tags on our luggage prior to leaving home. Even though we are not going directly to the ship from the airport, is placing the baggage tags on before leaving home still a good idea, or should we wait until we leave from the hotel on the morning of embarkation?

Maybe, since you are flying in a day early, you could type up your itinerary for the trip and place a copy inside each peice of luggage, including your flight numbers, the name and phone number of your hotel or wherever you will be staying precruise, your cell phone number, and the day-by-day itinerary of where the ship will be.

That way, should your luggage be delayed (God forbid), the airline will know where they need to get the missing suitcase(s) to. (Yeah, I know, bad grammar!)

Putting the cruiseline's tags on your luggage before you really need them risks them accidentally getting torn off.

There is no need to put the tags on your luggage until you are leaving the hotel to go to the port. Too many tags on bags will only confuse airline baggage handlers, and the embarkation tags are actually of no benefit until you get to to the port.

Have a great cruise.

I have always refrained from putting the cruise tags on my bags until I got to the port or in the hotel the night before. However recently after reading a number of threads on this topic where the advice was to put them on pre-flight I did so. The airline check in agent spotted our tags, tag our bags "Priority" and our bags were on the carousel in LAX before we got there. Other posters have said when baggage handlers see the tags they ensure the bags get on the flight and get properly transfered. I now among the converted when it comes to putting tags on pre-flight.

Archived