Rough seas in the Carribean in December?

Aussiemate

We are going on the Emerald Princess Eastern Carribean 10-day (Eastern) mid December and we would like to know what generally to expect in terms of calmness / roughness of the seas, and the effectiveness of Emerald Princess's stabilisers.

(We did the inside passage on the Dawn Princess 5 years ago, and with the exception of one night, the cruising was brilliantly smooth.)

Thanks

We went on the Sun Princess in the Caribbean (10 day as well) in December 2006 and we didn't notice that there were rough seas or anything like that. We barely ever felt the ship moving at all, in fact.

Have fun!! :) We will probably be back on another cruise mid-December as well in the Caribbean!

While some people experience smooth sailing, it really depends on the weather, which is difficult to predict. Also, one person's definition of "rough" might be someone else's "smooth" so take comments with a grain of salt.

The stabilizers help if the ship is going side-to-side but do little if the ship is rocking forward-to-aft so weather and sea conditions play an important role. The Emerald, like the other Grand-class ships, is tall and wide with a relatively shallow draft, making it susceptible to movement on windy days. These ships also do not "cut" through the water as well as the older, "liner designed" ships.

The bottom line is that it could be rough, it could be smooth. There's no way to predict in advance. For example, on our recent Sapphire cruise, we were warned that sailing from Melbourne to Tasmania is usually very rough; but it was quite calm and smooth both cruising to Hobart and then to Milford Sound, NZ. You just never know.

We sailed last over last New Years (12/30 - 1/6) and had one pretty bad day. It was a sea day so no missed ports fortunately and the rest of the cruise was very calm.

On the bad day, seas were up to 18' swells and there were certainly some sick passengers. I would have been one of them but take meclazine whenever I cruise and had no problems. It was kind of fun.

But did hear some horror stories of that day with other ships that had tendered passengers into Grand Cayman that day and then had a heck of a time getting them back to the ship! I think there were some that couldn't get back at all and had to fly to next port.

You can have bad weather anytime (we did this last March too). Just be prepared with medication if you're inclined to motion sickness.

That said, you're going to and fro Lauderdale. The route south usually arcs out into the greater Atlantic where seas are more prone to bigger rolling swells that move all ships, slosh pools, and soften stomachs. That 2 days up and back has usually involved some motion in my experience. Occassionally, to avoid higher ses, captain's opt for the slower "Old Bahama Channel" that runs to the west of the 'standard' route and through the islands. The factors motivating that choice though invariably mean that the ship will be moving some anyway.

Once down past the Puerto Rico trench into the Caribbean, things will generally be smoother often flat as a pancake.

A passenger on a recent sailing asked at the purser decks "why the ship was moving." #$%&@ No, I'm serious. When you are on an open seas (i.e. Caribbean Sea) your ship will move and rock and roller. How much all depends on the weather and sea conditions. I will never forgot being on the old Royal Princess sailing over night from St. Thomas to San Juan in December and the ship really rocked back and forward all night long. You could barely stand. It was an awful experience. One that I will never forget. The rest of the cruise was smooth as silk. I am also hearing that due to fuel consumption, captains are not using to the horizontal stabalizers was much which could effect ship motion. The ships today are so large and stable that I you really shouldn't worry too much; however, nothing is a guaranteed with mother nature. Hurricane season ends on November 30th so that shouldn't be an issue either.

When would you say is the best time, or the calmest seas in the CArribean?

I have heard crossing the Gulf is the worst?

Is is better to do a cruise that goes out of Puerto Rico, to have calmer seas?

Wanting to do the Carribean in the next year, and just wondering which would be best..

We are going on the Emerald Princess Eastern Carribean 10-day (Eastern) mid December and we would like to know what generally to expect in terms of calmness / roughness of the seas, and the effectiveness of Emerald Princess's stabilisers.

(We did the inside passage on the Dawn Princess 5 years ago, and with the exception of one night, the cruising was brilliantly smooth.)

Thanks

WE were on Carib last winter in Dec.SEas were fine

Rougher in march

Wanting to do the Carribean in the next year, and just wondering which would be best..

In the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean the chief factor affecting wave action is wind. Wind is a very difficult thing to predict. Once one is out of the tropical weather period (June-November) the risk factor goes down, but one can have still flat seas in September and a windy rolling seas in February.

Generally, very generally speaking, cruises from San Juan doing the east and south Caribbean have the highest probability of very flat seas (once they round PR) since the greatest part of the route is in the lee (or leeward) of the islands which act as an enormous wind buffer and break water. Islands do that. I've been on islands (most recently Cozumel and Grand Caymen) where surf was crashing high on one side of the island (we moored for a med evac at Spotts Bay in GC, most ships cancelled) yet on the lee side the water was flat as a mill pond. This is common too on the Atlantic side vs. Caribbean side of the islands in the eastern Caribbean (hence most ports are on the Caribbean side). Running out to Antigua (briefly) on the north and to Barbados to the south (a little more so) can expose one briefly to sections of 'open water'. But if you are cruising newbie, keep in mind that the ships are enormous, stabilized, and it takes a fair amount to move them at all. But - strictly in macro statistics I suspect that San Jaun cruises island hopping to the south probably have the greatest liklihood for flat seas.

Unless I was VERY motion sensitive though, I don't think I'd let these factors affect my cruise choices too much since the random nature of things (wind and weather) may upset the most well thought out plans.

Just wanted to agree that you shouldn't let fear of motionsickness determine your cruise so much.

I am extremely motion sensitive and NEVER wanted to cruise. I get sick on ferrys, carosels, any motion simulators, etc. I'm only good on water if I'm on a speed boat going fast and straight ahead. As soon as the engines are cut, I get sick. But I had discovered Meclazine because we did Disneyworld so much and it really helped.

Low and behold I happened to WIN a cruise at Disneyworld! Took meclazine (25mg) morning and night and feel no motionsickness at all. Only side effect is you may be a little sleepy but I don't notice too much during the day and sleep like a baby at night. Like said even in 18' swells and near gale force winds I was just fine!

The Caribbean can be rough or smooth depending on the weather which no one can predict. I have done the western Caribbean which is mostly in the Gulf and the waters have always been smooth even if the weather outside hasn't been. You just never know what the weather will do. We once went during hurricane season to get good fares and we were between two storms. The sea was rough the week before we went and the week after but smooth as glass the week we did sail. We were on the Coral Princess for New Year's Eve a year ago and people complained about the roughness. It wasn't rough at all to me. Most of the complainers were first-time cruisers. Just use your Dramamine or whatever seasick remedy you have and you will be fine.

You just never know. On our last December 7 night Crown Princess cruise we had the calmest seas on any cruise most of the time, and then the very roughest I've experienced the last night--from St. Thomas to San Juan! The ship was slightly listing. Quite exciting; nothing will dampen my cruise!

Enjoy!

My wife and I have been cruising twice in December both times eastern both times we had two bad rough days the rest very calm. The seas were 12' both times but you do get use to it. We were on the Lido deck so it made it a little rougher. Have fun but be ready

AussieMate, you didn't say which itinerary you're on, but we have had to miss St. Kitts in December before, due to too much wind, and apparantly this is not too unusual. I think the same can be said for Bonaire. But, as others have said, you just can't tell what the seas will be like in any given ocean and any given month. If you are really bothered by them, you can always go to the ship's doctor for seasickness treatment.

I was in the Caribbean in November once and we had two out of seven days where the seas were pretty rough. In fact the last night we were on board it was funny just watching people trying to walk straight. They had the pools shut down and we sat in the hot tub watching the water slam out of the pool! Great fun!

I have been on 5 cruises.

3 to Alaska. 1 Carribean, 1 Mexico. I have been told some of the roughest waters are those coming back into California. They were so rough. and I have heard that from quite a few people. We live in CA but I have only done 1 Mexican Riv cruise, because it was so rough, I didn't want to go back. I am sure that we will, Mexico isn't my favorite destination, but I LOVED the Carribean. The waters are so gorgeous. I loved cruising Inside passage too. So pretty. I just LOVE to cruise, and I was thinking about my next trip, and when would be the best time, so I was just getting some imput from you experienced cruisers out there....

Thanks

We dealt with TS Olga last Dec on the CB. It is not common, but it was a rough ride!

I am also very interested in this thread. We will be on the Grand in December and hoping for calm seas. I experienced the worse seasickness ever on our recent Vietnam cruise. I seriously contemplated never sailing again (at the height of things) but then the next morning when I got up and stood outside on the balcony - all was forgotten. We even booked our next cruise whilst on board.

I will be going prepared this time, armed with every medication I can get my hands on - just in case.;)

I am also very interested in this thread. We will be on the Grand in December and hoping for calm seas. I experienced the worse seasickness ever on our recent Vietnam cruise. I seriously contemplated never sailing again (at the height of things) but then the next morning when I got up and stood outside on the balcony - all was forgotten. We even booked our next cruise whilst on board.

I will be going prepared this time, armed with every medication I can get my hands on - just in case.;)

Kellie

Hopefully you won't get seasick this Dec., because you will on a larger ship, than the ship you were on in Feb.

Minette

Hi there Minette.;)

When we were in Hong Kong, I stocked up on those patches you put behind your ear. They worked a treat in Tahiti but for some reason, I didn't associate Vietnam with rough seas:eek: and didn't go prepared. I will never do that again. Most people buy shoes & bags in Hong Kong - I bought patches!!:D (Not available here in Australia for some dumb reason).

All the best for your son's wedding. I will be thinking of you.

Kellie;)

Thanks

We were on the Emerald Princess last year for the 10 day Eastern Caribbean cruise ending Dec 26. We had very good weather and the ship was very smooth with minimal motion.

That cruise was so good we're doing it again - but this time on the December 10 cruise. If that's the one you are on, then click on the Roll Call for the Emerald Princess in my signature below. We'd love to have you join us in the planning.

Only God can predict the weather, but we found the Emerald Princess to be very stabile.

Archived