Wow.. Oasis of the Seas

You said it...who know whats going to happen in the next year with the economy...

Rolloman...i think what the other poster was simply stating is that the Oasis may be off the drawing board and being built but it hasn't been finished yet and it will not become a reality until there is 7000+ people on that ship and it is sailing out of Port Everglades for the first time' date=' then it will def be a reality, so until who are you to criticize anyone's opinion....well personally i would criticize anyone's opinion period, but hey that's just me:)[/quote']

There was an analyst on TV the other night who seemed quite informed. He said that by the end of the year Oil would drop back to $100 a barrel after it hits a peak of around $165.

On the flip side we are heading if not already in the start of a big recession matching that of the 90's. You can see it everywhere, people who normally splash out on luxury items are tightening their belts. Truckers are going out of business and homes are being reposessed.

There was an analyst on TV the other night who seemed quite informed. He said that by the end of the year Oil would drop back to $100 a barrel after it hits a peak of around $165.

Hopefull they are right but many informed analysts are saying that the demand for oil is going to continue to exceed the ability in which oil can be barrelled up and that oil is going much higher. I sure hope the analyst you listened to is correct, but the majority of analysts do not take that stance.

I pose a question for all RCCL cruisers:

HOW HIGH A FUEL SURCHARGE WOULD YOU PAY PER DAY TO CONTINUE CRUISING??

NONE!!!

What I mean is, don't nickel and dime me. If gas goes up, the cruiselines will have to add it into the fare. (if it goes down, they can reduce fares! :D ) I don't like a la carte pricing. When I pay for a cruise, I want the cruise fare to include food, entertainment and the gas that fuels the ship from point A to point B. Don't add a "linen surcharge" because you bought new sheets, and don't add a tea charge because the price of tea went up in China.

Other than tips and port charges, cruise prices should be all inclusive.

I'm happy to pay for alcoholic drinks, shore excursions, spa treatments and store purchases. But other than that, the price should be the price.

NONE!!!

What I mean is, don't nickel and dime me. If gas goes up, the cruiselines will have to add it into the fare. (if it goes down, they can reduce fares! :D ) I don't like a la carte pricing. When I pay for a cruise, I want the cruise fare to include food, entertainment and the gas that fuels the ship from point A to point B. Don't add a "linen surcharge" because you bought new sheets, and don't add a tea charge because the price of tea went up in China.

Other than tips and port charges, cruise prices should be all inclusive.

I'm happy to pay for alcoholic drinks, shore excursions, spa treatments and store purchases. But other than that, the price should be the price.

The idea behind surcharges makes perfect sense. It's all about market volitility. With oil, the prices are flucuating well beyond the normal, and are driven by emotion and speculation. So, a surcharge is added to inform us (the pax) what the impact of the volitility is. If the price of oil drops to where it should be (whatever that means), then the surcharge should, in theory disappear. IF they folded the impact into the normal cruise price, we have no idea of the impact.

Personally, I prefer the surcharge to be a seperate line item.

Your arguement about a linen surcharge would make sense only if the costs of linens were as volitile as oil is today. Same thing with tea.

Hello fellow cruisers, I am extremely excited about the Oasis of the seas but I do have some questions and concerns...

Im sorry if these have been posted before :rolleyes:

- First off, Im afraid that the Oasis, with its size and "neighberhoods" will lose that classic cruising feel. Honestly, I dont want to go on a ship to see a replica of a city or park... I want to go on a ship and FEEL like Im on a cruise. If Oasis is the future of cruising, maybe in about 10 years, ships will never be the way they used to be and the entire cruise industry will be about putting everything they can on a ship.

- Second, There seems to be no promenade deck on Oasis (based on the photos). A promenade deck is a special part of the ship, because it escapes from the large city feel of the ships (like voyager and freedom) and just allows the passengers to enjoy the ocean on a wrap around deck. I would be upset if this part of the ship is truly missing.

- Third, It seems like many of the ships public areas are located at both the boardwalk and central park, both outdoor areas. These so far seem to be the public focal points of the ship...here is the issue (which im sure RCI have already thought about). As far as I know, there is no retractable roof on either the boardwalk or CP, so weather being unpredictable, what happens when it rains?? It would seem that many of the ships major public areas, lounges, and restaurants would then be unaccessible without getting wet. Not only that, but then the indoor areas would be extremely crowded. If CP and the boardwalk are emptied because of poor weather, then the Royal Promenade and the other smaller indoor areas would probably be packed with passengers. What if it rains the entire cruise?? I would think that many of the passengers would miss out on the amenities that RCI are advertising. Like I said, the RCI designers being the geniuses they are have surely thought about weather conditions.....but it does seem somewhat concerning...

I don't think they're trying to attract frequent cruisers with this ship--it seems to be more for the "amusement park" crowd! If they can get a whole new batch of 1st timers hooked on a ship like this, there's NO WAY those same folks will be happy on a ship like Granduer or Sovereign! This ship is designed to be a destination unto itself--not really a means of transport as in days past!

The idea behind surcharges makes perfect sense. It's all about market volitility. With oil, the prices are flucuating well beyond the normal, and are driven by emotion and speculation. So, a surcharge is added to inform us (the pax) what the impact of the volitility is. If the price of oil drops to where it should be (whatever that means), then the surcharge should, in theory disappear. IF they folded the impact into the normal cruise price, we have no idea of the impact.

Personally, I prefer the surcharge to be a seperate line item.

Your arguement about a linen surcharge would make sense only if the costs of linens were as volitile as oil is today. Same thing with tea.

It took me several tries to find out possibly why the surcharge is just not included in the fare, and the best (and only) answer I got was that as a line item, it is not taxed. If it is added to the fare it will be taxed.

Whether or not this is correct, I don't know, but it does make sense.

It took me several tries to find out possibly why the surcharge is just not included in the fare, and the best (and only) answer I got was that as a line item, it is not taxed. If it is added to the fare it will be taxed.

Whether or not this is correct, I don't know, but it does make sense.

If it's included in the fare RCI has to pay TA's commission on it. If it's seperated out, they don't.

Gone are the days of losing track of a family member and finding them in about 10 minutes after a quick look around the public areas!

The More i think of it if i was RC i wouldn't be trying to a build a brand new ship with the same old fueling methods. would be trying to build a ship that somewhat green... runs a bit on solar energy.. which there is plenty of in the Caribbean and alternate fueling methods.

yes... I see what you mean... but if this is the future of cruising then ships like grandeur and soverign will probably be things of the past and replaced by the mega cities. People who want an amusement park could probably find a better one on land:rolleyes: I understand the appeal to new cruisers but I really hope that RCI has not forgotten what cruising is about, the experience itself, not just new innovations.

Gone are the days of losing track of a family member and finding them in about 10 minutes after a quick look around the public areas!

The More i think of it if i was RC i wouldn't be trying to a build a brand new ship with the same old fueling methods. would be trying to build a ship that somewhat green... runs a bit on solar energy.. which there is plenty of in the Caribbean and alternate fueling methods.

I have to completely disagree. I were RCI, I would be doing exactly what they have been doing and definitely what they are doing now. In fact, if all of the members of cruise critic were equal partners in Royal Caribbean, I'm guessing the majority would would have voted to build these ships over green ships. A green ship would never get this much attention (positive, negative, etc.) and certainly draw as many possible future cruisers. You can't buy this type of PR.

I hope that RCCL will keep the prices reasonable. I have yet to book on a Freedom Class because honestly I can cruise on Celebrity for less and get more.

In case you didn't see it - both Eastern Caribbean and Western will have 3 sea days - just like Solstice so this is not going to be a port intensive ship but rather the ship will be the destination. Not sure I like that but then again I have been to most of the caribbean ports and except for some shopping we do for friends - not too many shore excursions translates to more bucks to spend on board charged to my RCCL credit card wich translates to double points.

I'd rather spend $60 for the DW and I to have a nice dinner than a couple of hundred to ride through shanty towns and get a free bottle of water

Actually, some of my co workers did think it was real - they were shocked. I put a bandaid over it after a few hours, and my boss ( a real Southern gentleman) went home and told his wife that he could not BELIEVE I had gotten a tattoo and was pretty rattled about it. She asked him if he had said anything to me about it, and he told her he just couldn't. I didn't know he had even noticed it. ROFL

Actually, some of my co workers did think it was real - they were shocked. I put a bandaid over it after a few hours, and my boss ( a real Southern gentleman) went home and told his wife that he could not BELIEVE I had gotten a tattoo and was pretty rattled about it. She asked him if he had said anything to me about it, and he told her he just couldn't. I didn't know he had even noticed it. ROFL

Oh that is too funny!!! I bet he and his wife had a good laugh when they realized it was fake :p :D

###

I heard from sources that the tattoos are in fact real and they are also having "body piercing". This is due to the fact that many 18-25 year olds will be cruising on the ship and it also is a popular vacation ritual.

I hope that RCCL will keep the prices reasonable. I have yet to book on a Freedom Class because honestly I can cruise on Celebrity for less and get more.

In case you didn't see it - both Eastern Caribbean and Western will have 3 sea days - just like Solstice so this is not going to be a port intensive ship but rather the ship will be the destination. Not sure I like that but then again I have been to most of the caribbean ports and except for some shopping we do for friends - not too many shore excursions translates to more bucks to spend on board charged to my RCCL credit card wich translates to double points.

I'd rather spend $60 for the DW and I to have a nice dinner than a couple of hundred to ride through shanty towns and get a free bottle of water

Yes, I agree, the ship is the main destination. I would assume that the oasis would be more expensive to cruise on than the other RCCL ships...

Again, if it was to rain throughout the entire cruise, than it seems like many of the "destinations" on board will be lost...

The solstice does look nice though, and it seems like it will feel more like a cruise ship and less like a city.

I heard from sources that the tattoos are in fact real and they are also having "body piercing". This is due to the fact that many 18-25 year olds will be cruising on the ship and it also is a popular vacation ritual.

That's correct. The tattoo parlor and body piercing shop will be located right next door to the S&M after hours club.

- Third, It seems like many of the ships public areas are located at both the boardwalk and central park, both outdoor areas. These so far seem to be the public focal points of the ship...here is the issue (which im sure RCI have already thought about). As far as I know, there is no retractable roof on either the boardwalk or CP, so weather being unpredictable, what happens when it rains?? It would seem that many of the ships major public areas, lounges, and restaurants would then be unaccessible without getting wet. Not only that, but then the indoor areas would be extremely crowded. If CP and the boardwalk are emptied because of poor weather, then the Royal Promenade and the other smaller indoor areas would probably be packed with passengers. What if it rains the entire cruise?? I would think that many of the passengers would miss out on the amenities that RCI are advertising. Like I said, the RCI designers being the geniuses they are have surely thought about weather conditions.....but it does seem somewhat concerning...

They should put it in the Med for the summer months then, as the wet weather will not be a serious problem, and an ampitheatre will be much more appropriate in the cradle of civilisation in Europe than in the Caribbean :)

The "crowded in bad weather" factor is already an issue with Voyager in the Med. My uncle did a 10 day Canary island cruise last fall on Voyager and he said the Promenade and Windjammer were crowded all the time since it was raining most of the time and no one felt like going outside.

Archived