Leaving Passports in Safe

Lancaster

Not sure what this has to do with anything. $100 to sit in a safe beat the hassle and expense of replacing it. If the passport got you where you were going, it did it's $100 job. Not sure why carrying it makes it more valuable.

As mentioned prior, take the minimum you need on shore and to get back onboard and no more.

And, if you miss the ship, have an accident, get arrested or get delayed on a shore excursion, your "minimum" won't do a thing for you. Passports are meant to be carried with you. It is the ONLY thing that identifies who you are and where you are from. They are not issued simply to get you on a ship or plane.

And, if you are stuck in a foreign country for any reason, your passport won't do you much good in the safe on the ship.....

I am not sure why anyone is so afraid of carrying their passport with them. They are seldom stolen and if they are it usually is with your wallet/money which they are really interested. A USA passport is really not worth a whole lot these days to someone else. It has your picture and is coded electronically so that attempts to alter it will be unsuccessful. This is by design. Unless you are operating a motor vehicle in a foreign nation, your driver's license is not worth anything and certainly will not work for an ID. Your sea card will show the local authorities how you came into their nation and how you will leave.

This nation is cracking down on illegal aliens. Other nations are doing the same. If you get caught without your passport, you are an illegal alien subject to their laws. You will be at their mercy and discretion. They can hit you with a stiff fine and you will pay it as you have no choice.

Never leave home without your passport.

Not sure what this has to do with anything. $100 to sit in a safe beat the hassle and expense of replacing it. If the passport got you where you were going, it did it's $100 job. Not sure why carrying it makes it more valuable.

As mentioned prior, take the minimum you need on shore and to get back on-board and no more.

Those of us that carry them ashore feel the risk of loss is less than the hassle if we get stranded in a foreign country. A copy of the "data page" is no good except to go to the US embassy to get a new one.

In the same vain, I also make sure I have a credit card in case I meet with an emergency. While in a foreign port you never know what can or will happen and I want to be prepared.

My passport in my safe on the ship does me no good when the ship sails without me. :D

I will be in Bermuda and plan on spending alot of time in the water, so didn't want my PP to get wet or stolen, that's why I asked about the safe. Where can I get one of those waterproof thingys? thanks Debbie:D

Well if you are not going diving with it....... you could spend $10 to $20 on one of those plastic things.... or other choice could be......

prodshot_sandwich.jpg

It the purser has your passport AND if you contact the shore agent that you are running late the shore agent will retrieve your passport and have it waiting for you when you finally arrive, even though your ship has long since sailed. If your passport in in your safe you will be asked to give verbal permission for the safe to be opened in your absence. I don't take my passport ashore, but I always take the port agent information.

It the purser has your passport AND if you contact the shore agent that you are running late the shore agent will retrieve your passport and have it waiting for you when you finally arrive, even though your ship has long since sailed. If your passport in in your safe you will be asked to give verbal permission for the safe to be opened in your absence. I don't take my passport ashore, but I always take the port agent information.

I take both. If I'm in an accident I'm not going to be able to call the port agent, and I may be someplace where I cannot use my cellphone or anybody's phone to contact the agent, either.

This subject is about as hotly disputed as the threads about whether formal dress codes should be enforced.

People either insist you should leave your passport locked in your safe or insist you should take it with you.

I take mine with me when I leave the ship. It's just what I do. I've had a passport for 25 years and when I travel out of the country, my passport is ALWAYS with me. Could I lose it? Sure. But I haven't and I just prefer to keep it with you while on foreign soil.

I leave a copy in the safe and a copy here at work.

It's up to you whether you want to carry it with you or not.

Ask yourself this question:

Are you more likely to have your passport lost/stolen/damaged or are you more likely to run late and miss the ship?

In most cases, I think you are more likely to have your passport lost or stolen. My wife had her passport stolen once in China. I had a friend have his passport stolen once in New Zealand (both countries are considered fairly safe). I had my passport almost damaged from being soaked with sweat in the Central American rainforest. So in most cases, I leave my passport on the ship and I am more afraid of having my passport lost/stolen/damaged than I am of the ship leaving without me.

But, if I am taking a long excursion and am even slightly nervous about getting back to ship on time then I take my passport with me.

By the way, it is a good idea to scan your passport information page and email a copy to yourself in the event you need a replacement the information will be easy to get.

If the local authorities ask to see your passport and you cannot produce it, you most likely will be their "guest" until which time you can satisfy their requirements. They are not going to allow you to "go get it". Some of the third world countries do not have all that nice of accommodations for their "guests" (read police headquarters or jail).

I always carry mine with me in a separate place than my money. Luckily I have never been robbed or had my pocket picked. I have had to show it in Europe in a random check during my travels. I have had to show it when I entered a country by airplane of course. I have needed it to cash traveler's checks.

Not carrying your passport in a foreign nation is AYOR.

If you have your wallet stolen ANYWHERE it is a hassle to even remember everything that is in it and cancel cards and get replacements. When I travel out of the country, I take ONLY what I think I will need: Passport, military (retired) ID, health insurance cards, any credit cards I plan to use. I do not take my driver's license unless I plan to rent a car, and then I might get an international driver's lic. (if they still have them...). My passport never stays on the ship when I leave it. EM

Archived