I Have An Idea And Want To Bring It To Princess-i Need Your Help Who Should I Contact

wizard-of-roz

I bring my Service Dog Brenda when I travel, we'll be on the Golden, to Hawaii in November and it will be her 10th cruise. Many of you may have crossed our path and know us!

Brenda and I have been professionally trained by Canine Companions for Independence and we are Certified and Licensed.

While aboard many guests, who love animals, have left their pets with sitters or at the kennel and are now getting the opportunity to not only see and be with a dog but they can see and be with a highly trained and skilled Service Dog. They continuously ask me a myriad of questions about dog behavior; training; feeding; playing; what toys to purchase; health issues and the most favorite one; what can Brenda do? And, on and on!

One passenger even asked if I would give a demonstration.....it definitely triggered something in me. She stated that she would love it if I gave a class or demonstrated and taught guests more about Service Dogs and talked about dogs, in general.

I've attended many lectures on a variety of topics, does this seem interesting enough? Would you attend? And, who should I contact, at Princess, about taking it further?

Thanks, in advance, for any information you can give me.

Hi Roz !

What a wonderful idea ! I am sure there are loads of folks, even kitty cat lovers that would welcome a lecture and demonstration of Brenda's skills. :D:D

If only you were planning on being on our October 2009 cruise !

Hope you get in touch with the proper folks. We would love to be able to help you with info, but you know where we have been cruising and with whom !;) We'll miss you this October. :(

This is a great idea. One thing you should know is that the lecturers are all sub-contracted -- they don't work for Princess, even the bridge lecturers. You need to contact a company that supplies lecturers for Princess. Perhaps the next time you're on a cruise, you could get the name of a rep from one of the lecturers.

I don't have any advice as to who to contact about it, but I do think it's a great idea. I'm not a bingo, line dancing or scrapbooking type of person. I like the guest lecturers on Princess, and I'd for sure go to a demonstration like you talk about.

Hi,

I was on the Emerald in March with Dr. Ellen and her service dog Travis. She put on a very impressive demonstration that was well over an hour long with all the questions and etc. She told me that she has tried to contact Princess many times with no avail. She brings all of her literature and videos with her and contacts the purser and cruise director once onboard as they are the ones who will make the ultimate decision. From my experience, it was absolutely a highlight of the cruise. She gave us information on how she received her dog and how it works being on board the ship. Travis was a real ham and loved being the center of attention. She dressed him up for formal night in a tux and top hat. He has traveled on cruises quite a bit. You would be doing a wonderful service and I am sure that many donations were received to the people who train these wonderful animals. Please continue your efforts.

Jacki

It's not a "dept" at Princess or Carnival Corp. but rather an outside, contracted company. Use DonnaK's suggestion instead.

I was meaning that maybe one of their dept's would know who to contact in the "outside company." Please ignore my suggestion and forgive me - it was a total blunder. :rolleyes:

A couple of years ago, we were on a ship with a large group (about 30 maybe?) of people with their service dogs. We had a special handout in out rooms with some basic FAQ and there were 2 "meet and greets/pets" on the top front deck. Talk about well attended! Holy cow, I thought the ship was going to nip nose heavy into the water! Good luck with your endeavor, it sounds like a good start with the links that have been provided.

Casey

Too bad you are not going on the November 10th Mexico cruise on the Star Princess. There will be 25 service dogs on board and I am sure they will be giving demonstrations..

I would be in doggy heaven! Love em all!! :D

Roz, I agree with the other posters--great idea and I would definately be interested in attending a lecture on service dogs etc.

They are truely amazing animals & life long companions.

What a wonderful idea! We would love the opportunity to learn more about service dogs and also how we should act around them, like no petting, etc.

Hope you are able to provide this service on your cruises.

Try writing directly to the following address:

Princess Cruises

Fleet Personnel Department

24844 Avenue Rockefeller

Santa Clarita, CA 91355-4999 USA

When employed by Princess, sometimes they will make all the necessary travel arrangements, to and from ship, and any Visas that you may need. To work on a ship sailing out of the United States, you will need a C1/D Visa.

Are you aware that all you have to do is give two or three short 40-minute "classes" in exchange for a totally free cruise.

Good Luck! Hope this helps.

It's not a "dept" at Princess or Carnival Corp. but rather an outside, contracted company. Use DonnaK's suggestion instead.

As I recall, this may fall under the "entertainment" category, which is hired out of the Princess Corporate.

Great Idea! In Juneau last year on Dawn Princess, Libby Riddle (I think that's the correct name) did a talk on sled dogs. She didn't have her dogs with her this time, but I understand sometimes she does. It was very interesting, and we would love to attend a lecture and demonstration of service dogs. Her "class" was full and those who didn't make it back from shore excursions in time for her presentation were very disappointed. Good Luck and hope to see you onboard one of our cruises.

Thank you all so much, you've been very helpful in getting me started!

Actually, Brenda has been on 10 cruises. Before Brenda, (as if there really was life before her), my DH and I had been on 10 cruises on our own. Not the same! Cruising with her has been so much more fun!

To answer the question about "Service Dogs"....there are SD's that see/hear/pull wheel chairs/alert to various health problems/search & rescue/sniff bombs & drugs, etc., etc. These amazing dogs come in a myriad of sizes/shapes and breeds. With the right training any skill can be taught and when the dog has finished training he/she can go any where and on any means of transportation. Hence, all her cruising!!!

We will miss the October cruise to Hawaii but we'll be on the Golden to Hawaii, in November!

I will be contacting the cruiselines about doing lectures and demonstrations.....hopefully, I'll be on one of your future cruises!

Archived