Venice water buses with luggage

So I read on the Venice water bus site that you can take the water bus from the airport to San Marco for 12 euro. It says you can bring 1 large piece of luggage and 1 handbag. Does this mean a carryon?

12 Euros seems high. Are you taking the land bus from the airport to Piazzle Roma & then the water bus to San Marco? Last year the water bus from P.Roma only cost us about 6 Euros each. We did not declare any luggage, although the ticket agent saw it. We each had 1 wheelie bag & 1 backpack (not small, but not the large hiker type).

A water taxi is about 90-100 Euros for about 6 people & luggage. It will take you directly from the airport to your hotel, if your hotel has a dock. So if your # of people & # of luggage adds up close to the water taxi price, you might as well take a water taxi.

So I read on the Venice water bus site that you can take the water bus from the airport to San Marco for 12 euro. It says you can bring 1 large piece of luggage and 1 handbag. Does this mean a carryon?

I am not sure what you mean by "water bus" and "water bus site"...

There are several different ways to get to San Marco from the airport on "public transportation"...

I am picturing you mean the "Alilaguna" which has boats from the airport to San Marco and costs somewhere in that range...

Another option (the one we used) is to take the bus to Piazzale Roma and the Vaporetti from there...If you buy a 24 hour (€16) or a 72 hour (€31) Vaporetti pass, the bus is included...as is unlimited vaporetti rides for that period...For just the single trip, it's really cheap...We took two suitcases each onboard with no problem...

A third option is a private water taxi...which will cost around €100+...

There are 2 types of water bus in Venice. The Alillaguna will get you from the airport to San Marco for 12 euros. We used it 3 weeks ago and they allowed us a medium/large piece of luggage and a carry-on suitcase.

The vaparetto is the local water bus. It can be crowded with tourists and locals. Luggage can be problematic if that's the case. Many posters suggest taking the 3 euro bus from the airport to Piazzale Roma, dropping your heavy luggage at a Left Luggage facility at Piazzale Roma and then take a vaparetto (6.5 euro per ride or you can buy passes for unlimited travel during a specified time period).

The challenge in Venice is negotiating your way from one place to another with your luggage. We made it, but it was no easy task, especially on a holiday weekend. It actually becomes comical watching the tourists negotiating the streets and bridges with too much luggage. My advice would be to travel within Venice as light as you can. Backpacks and one suitcase each would probably have worked better for us and I might use the Left Luggage option if I were doing it over.

Venice is a wonderful place. Just walk and don't be afraid to get lost.

I am not sure what you mean by "water bus" and "water bus site"...

There are several different ways to get to San Marco from the airport on "public transportation"...

I am picturing you mean the "Alilaguna" which has boats from the airport to San Marco and costs somewhere in that range...

Another option (the one we used) is to take the bus to Piazzale Roma and the Vaporetti from there...If you buy a 24 hour (€16) or a 72 hour (€31) Vaporetti pass, the bus is included...as is unlimited vaporetti rides for that period...For just the single trip, it's really cheap...We took two suitcases each onboard with no problem...

A third option is a private water taxi...which will cost around €100+...

I meant "website"

Luggage is a problem in Venice. Two of us had a big suitcase and a small wheely carry one with us. We put them in the left luggage in Piazzali Roma and picked it up later. When on the Vaporetti we saw people being refused entry ot the boats with cases as the attendant decided that it would be unsafe or provide too much of a problem and prevent people being accommodated.

We just arrived in Venice and took the water bus to our hotel near St. Marks. The water bus is easy. Finding your hotel may be more difficult. If I ever come back, I will take the water bus again. We had two people, two large suitcases, and two backpacks. These days European airlines only allow one large bag per person.

There was a free bus from the train station to pier, but which train station? There is some rolling to do but not too bad.

The Ali Laguna costs us 6 euros apiece from San Marco to the airport 3 weeks ago for the fellow who asked. We had an obsene amount of luggage and no one counted or cared. While at the pier alilaguna they did seem to care. This water bus is a lot faster than the other one if time is an issue.

bella, Bruin Steve wasn't questioning "site" vs "website". He was offering that there are 2 vaporetti options - one is the #2 from Piazzle Roma (which is the one we took for 6 euros each) and the Alilaguna line, which costs more & is possibly the 12 euro ride you found. The differences are: (1)to get to #2 from the airport, must take the land bus from the airport to P.Roma (the land bus is right outside the airport terminal door & only costs a couple of euro; it's like a tour bus with lots of luggage room below), (2)the Alilaguna line leaves direct from the airport (no land bus necessary). I've never taken the Alilaguna, it may be a troublesome walk with lots of luggage from the airport terminal to the pier; depends on the person(s).

I don't understand why so many people are taking so much excess luggage??? I understand some newbies once in while. Traveling in Venice with lots of luggage sets one up for a disappointing arrival & departure. Not good memories & some folks even wrongly blame Venice, rather than themselves for not learning how to pack correctly. No matter how long we stay, 1 week or 4 weeks, we only pack 1 backpack & one 22" bag. No one on the ship will remember what was worn when! If one absolutely cannot resist strutting around on formal night, pack 1 dress/shoes & he can rent a tux from the ship. Don't forget all of those checkins, security lines, & Customs' checks with all of that luggage! :eek: Give yourself a break while spending all of that money to travel in Europe!

we are taking two full suitcases and one pretty much empty so it can be filled with purchases...as well as a throw in ...just in case we need a fourth....so it is the way back that we will be laden down....we are on a 14day cruise and three extra days pre and post...

We are currently in Venice. It appears all of the water buses charge extra for the second bag. Cost is 6.50 Eruos. Weigh that against laundry on the ship and you probably want to bring the second bag.

6.50E for a second bag...and how much then to get on?...we are not sure how far it will be from the train station to the pier...do water taxis go that short a distance...maybe there are shuttles from train station to the pier...not sure how to find out...maybe that will just be part of the adventure...

The waterbus will let you off at San Zacharia (St. Mark's). The Westin is not the easiest hotel to find. You can see it easily from the water but once you get off the bus it is a bit of a maze. There will be one small bridge that you have to cross in order to get there. Be prepared for a small walk- thru St. Mark's Square and then up and over a bridge. There will be a little alley way on the left over the bridge which takes you to the Westin Hotel. My friends stayed there last year and it certainly is hidden

\

I don't understand why so many people are taking so much excess luggage??? I understand some newbies once in while. Traveling in Venice with lots of luggage sets one up for a disappointing arrival & departure. Not good memories & some folks even wrongly blame Venice, rather than themselves for not learning how to pack correctly. No matter how long we stay, 1 week or 4 weeks, we only pack 1 backpack & one 22" bag. No one on the ship will remember what was worn when! If one absolutely cannot resist strutting around on formal night, pack 1 dress/shoes & he can rent a tux from the ship. Don't forget all of those checkins, security lines, & Customs' checks with all of that luggage! :eek: Give yourself a break while spending all of that money to travel in Europe!

You're absolutely right, the people on the ship won't know, BUT I WILL. I don't rewear clothes at home that haven't been washed. I shower everyday and put on clean clothes whether I'm at home or on vacation. Plus photos will show you are wearing the same clothes. I have tried to mix and max (mostly black and brown). I will have 5 pair of black pants and 4 pair of brown with intermingling shirts. And I do plan to utilize the self laundry on the ship (only once I hope). We will be gone for 21 days. But even with that, my 29" suitcase is full (I'm having a hard time getting it under the 44 lbs Air France will allow me) and I will have one carry-on.

Not knowing what the weather will be in October in the Med, you have to be prepared 1 pair of pjs for warm weather, 1 pair for cool weather, a couple pair of shorts & tank tops if it is unusually warm, etc. The adapter plugs, hair dryer, curling iron, travel clock, two pair of shoes & purse, and my toiletry bag.

I did try Rick Steve's method on my 3 weeks to Holland, Belgium and Luxembourg, of taking old underwear and throwing it away after wear. You should have seen some of the looks I got from the proprietors of the bed & breakfasts we stayed at. :eek: And washing things out in the sink, they weren't dry the next morning. Won't do that again!

If I could take my two 50 lb bags that Air Tahiti Nui is allowing me, I would be a happy camper, but alas Air France is considered a domestic flight and only allows 1 bag at 44 lbs. If the cost was only $25 like here in the U.S. I would still be tempted, but Air France website says 50 EUR and that would be each way, so I will only take the 1 bag.

You don't see how folks have to pack so much, and I don't see how you can pack in a 22"??? I use a 22" for a weekend at my daughters.

The waterbus will let you off at San Zacharia (St. Mark's). The Westin is not the easiest hotel to find. You can see it easily from the water but once you get off the bus it is a bit of a maze. There will be one small bridge that you have to cross in order to get there. Be prepared for a small walk- thru St. Mark's Square and then up and over a bridge. There will be a little alley way on the left over the bridge which takes you to the Westin Hotel. My friends stayed there last year and it certainly is hidden

Are you referring to my post? the one that said I'd already stayed there so felt ok going with luggage? ;) I definitely wouldn't have attempted it the first time, it is indeed hidden away.

yes aggabymama...I agree with you...

for the caribbean I travel very light...very light ...a 7 day cruise..a small suitcase and I am good to go...

but this is different...and it is end of october for me...and it is 16 days..as it is I dont bring a hair dryer...only three pairs of shoes...one for walking in port, one pair of flip flops..and one pair for evening...that is just a bare minimum...but of course hope to buy a couple of pairs in barcelona....that is at the end of our cruise..so will have very little during the trip..

my husband brings only one jacket for evening...NO tux..and if he could he would not even bring the jacket...

we would love to buy things while in ports..it is our first to the med...and a trip is just not enjoyable for me if I cant bring back ANYTHING..and how can you if only have one suitcase pp...the carry on is filled with necessities...so cant count on space in it...

yes would be willing to pay for second suitcase..but no way for 50E....

hey this is what I always say...I am a very thin person...and they dont care how big or fat you are...so if I cant bring another suitcase..I will just bring one of those "harpo" coats...with many pockets and stuff all my things into that...lol..

of course I am only kidding...

but I always think that a hundred lb person should be able to bring more luggage to make up for their lack of weight..after all it all goes on the same plane...

yes ..human rights...yes I hear you...lol...

6.50E for a second bag...and how much then to get on?...we are not sure how far it will be from the train station to the pier...do water taxis go that short a distance...maybe there are shuttles from train station to the pier...not sure how to find out...maybe that will just be part of the adventure...

It is 6.50E pp unless you buy a tourist pass

I think you could do a land taxi from the train to the port but not sure on that

check here for more info

http://www.actv.it/english/navigazione.php?pagina=tariffe_vaporetto

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/arriving_in_venice_by_train.htm

Archived