Has Anyone Used Papillon Tours For Cinque Terra

Hi, we used Papillon last year out of Livorno to San G/Siena, and recommended them to our friends on a later cruise, who used them from Livorno to Cinque Terre. I don't know the details, but I do know they were happy with the service and had a great time on their tour.

DIY is Do It Yourself. We plan on doing Cinque Terre by ourselves from our La Spezia stop, hopefully with a stop in Portovenere as well. If you are trying to do Cinque Terre from Livorno, a driver would be helpful, but a guide is probably not necessary.

The Cinque Terre is a DIY if you're interested. Did it last week.

CIAO,

Please provide details. Which port? We are in Portofino Oct 8 8 am - 6 pm. Did you rent a car or public transport.

Any info will be welcomed.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
The Cinque Terre is a DIY if you're interested. Did it last week.

CIAO,

Love to hear all about it... we arrive at Livorno day #1 (October 2008) and are taking a train DIY to FLorence. Day #2 is for DIY Cinque Terra, so share you experiences :)

Thanks

nsbirdie

We used Papillion for Florence/Pisa. Roberto was our driver. He was excellent. While driving to Florence, we mentioned we would like to see a winery. A quick phone by him , and in 20 minutes, we were there.

We are also interested in touring Cinque Terre independently.

Currently have a library book out on best walks of Europe, which includes Cinque Terre from La Spezia.

However, I'm wondering if it will be too wet and cold in November, when we'll be there, pre TA cruise. Might be better weather for churches, museums and window shopping in Milan/Genoa.

• 3 weeks later...

We're cruising to Livorno in October, and also considering using Pappilon to see Cinque Terra. Would love to hear from anyone who has done this. They propose to pick us up from the dock and take us to Portovenere where we would catch a ferry to one of the villages. They would then pick us up from

Monterosso at the end of the day. We would be responsible for getting between the villages, either walking, using the train or ferry, and ending in Monterosso for the drive back to the ship. Any comments would be appreciated.

We had a private tour in May actually a coach full, it was not arranged by me so not sure who it was booked with. A bit of a problem really as there was a rail strike that day. We went by coach to Manarola and then by ferry to Portovenere and then back to Livorno by coach, accident on the road and were late getting back to the ship, it did wait though. Quite honestly it is such a long way from Livorno that in this instance I would do the ship tour.

It is a beautiful easy walk from Riomaggiore to Manarola. Then gets harder to the other villages.I have been there many times, back in the sixties before Rick Steves discovered the area.Absolutely beautiful area.

Now I am not sure if the ferry will be running in October or November and if the sea is rough it might be cancelled so you would have to look into that and also the times of the trains between the villages.

DIY is Do It Yourself. We plan on doing Cinque Terre by ourselves from our La Spezia stop, hopefully with a stop in Portovenere as well. If you are trying to do Cinque Terre from Livorno, a driver would be helpful, but a guide is probably not necessary.

Our cruise ship tendered into Portovenere from where we went to 3 Cinque Terre towns by boat, the easiest way to approach them. Portovenere itself is a charming small fishing town with many good restaurants along the front. :)

Archived