Is anyone seeing airlines cracking down

chrisbd1

Yes, the crackdown has started. Flew from Halifax last weekend and the fellow ahead of me had a backpack, a laptop bag and a box of lobsters. The security guard told him he would have to go back and check on of his bags. (I would have happily taken the lobsters off his hands:D )

There have been several articles in the business journals lately stating that the airlines were going to place personnel just before TSA security to direct people back to the ticket agent to check in luggage that was too large or too heavy or too many pieces.

Air Canada restricts carry-on luggage to 22 lbs.

Kathy:)

I just flew out of LAX. The lines to check in baggage were long and slow. Lots of folks trying to repack bags to get away from the weight and quantity of bag fees. They actually were putting possessions into the trash bins!

There are pre-ID checkers that look at your boarding pass, punch a hole in it and look at your carry on bag situation. If you have bags that are too many or are too large, they send you back to those long baggage check in lines!

It took me 40 minutes to get from the front door, through the baggage check in and finally through the TSA checkpoint.

I was surprised by how many people were not up to date on the new AA luggage fees as many folks held up the lines by arguing.

Allow plenty of time! Double plenty!

I know a few people that work for different airlines and they said they are really cracking down on the carry-ons, the size and how many pieces. A lot of people are trying to take more and more on the plane with them, which I can understand, but sometimes they need to go ahead and just check their baggage in.

I was surprised by how many people were not up to date on the new AA luggage fees as many folks held up the lines by arguing.

I can imagine that the rules are confusing because there are some exceptions, right? People who booked before a certain time or who are a certain level don't have to pay the fee, while others do. I'm a bit worried if I'm going to be hassled on my December flight about the baggage fees since their wording says I get one free bag due to booking before the deadline.

That's good to know. I know many people have pet peeves about people skirting the carry-on bag rule. I was just curious as to how it was going. Of course, since I fly SWA, that isn't an issue for me :) .

Thank you :rolleyes: . I'm not an airlines code expert.

You can be....

Follow THIS LINK to get to Airline Codes - it has both airport and airline codes for the entire world. Also aircraft codes, so if you find that you are flying on a "DH2", you'll have some idea of what kind of airplane you will be on. Lots of info.

I can imagine that the rules are confusing because there are some exceptions, right? People who booked before a certain time or who are a certain level don't have to pay the fee, while others do. I'm a bit worried if I'm going to be hassled on my December flight about the baggage fees since their wording says I get one free bag due to booking before the deadline.

You can print the press release of the airline and bring that with you together with your e-ticket receipt which would clearly shows WHEN it is ticketed.

Elites would not need to argue - they are extremely well-versed on the latest development. All they need to do is show the BP where the status is printed as well. Generally it is the un-informed, or the trying to sneak-thru types hold up the line, and keep arguing with airline employees... :rolleyes:

What is SWA? The abbreviation for Southwest Airline is WN!

Both codes are correct for Southwest. Two-letter codes are assigned by the IATA and are used for ticketing, reservations, and other business and passenger aspects of an airline. Three-letter codes are used by ICAO and mostly apply to flight operations.

More info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_codes Over time, the 2 letter codes will be replaced by the 3 letter ones.

There are 3 and 4 letter codes for airports assigned by IATA and ICAO respectively. Airports in the continental US have a K in front of the 3-letter code (KLAX, KJFK, etc). Overseas the 4 letters are the region, country, and the last 2 letters are the airport. London Heathrow is LHR and EGLL (Europe, Great Britain). Tokyo Narita is NRT and RJAA (Asia, Japan) and Kona is KOA and PHKO (Pacific, Hawaii).

Passengers only have to worry about the IATA codes (2 letter airline and 3 letter airport) for now. But there is a whole different set of codes used by air traffic controllers, pilots, etc.

If you are flying overseas be sure and check for international baggage rules. We had a rude awakening several years ago on Virgin Atlantic when they told they had a THIRTEEN pound carry on rule. Talk about some quick repacking and checking! That is hardly a back pack!! It looks like KLM airlines has a TWENTY SIX pound limit so I will be weighing luggage on that! Good luck to all of us:rolleyes:

I think if $15 to $25 a bag is a "vacation breaker", I would just stay home. Too long have we been given a break on flying and now we expect everything for free. I for one do not mind paying a small amount for my bag. I just wish everyone would follow the rules that have been in place for the past 20 years reguarding carry ons. Just one persons opinion.

Archived