using the tube from Heathrow

I'm not down that way very often, but I don't see why not. Both entrances to Earls Court station are on busy main roads where many cabs are likely to pass.

In terms of distance, the Earls Court Road entrance is closer to the hotel. So if you have a choice, head this way. But I'm not sure where the lifts will tip you out.

We just returned recently from London, UK and had alot of fun experiencing the tube. We witnessed a number of people travelling with luggage up excalators and without exception they needed someone to help and they only had two pieces of luggage. It would be not easy task to pulling five pieces of luggage on the "tube system". There are escalators to go on and steps to climb, we would not personally recommend doing it.

We did the tube exclusively last November from Heathrow. We each had a smallish carryon size backback and a less than 20KG rolling suitcase. We are in our late 40s and in good shape. We understood the tube system from previous experience, and we did have to carry up a couple of staircases. Which is a bit of work, but nothing extreme. When we came out of the Marble Arch station and it was 50 degrees F, and I was warm from exertion. Of course the savings over a cab and the convenience over the bus seemed well worth it to us. The key as globalizer says is that you must be able to physically handle your luggage at all times (or in one go as specifically stated), and for the OP the combination of physical handicap and the large amount of luggage would tell me to avoid the tube for the trip from Heathrow at all costs.

If you are planning to use the tube (which I recommend for some people) then you must take luggage and your ability to handle it into consideration.

jc

I have used the tube many times over the decades (often with baggage), but as I have aged the 'mind the gap' situation is getting more difficult to deal with. Sometimes the gaps are considerable so it really doesn't matter if there is a WORKING lift or not.

I have asked people my age who live in London how they manage and many told me that they have avoided the tube as they got older and stay with buses.

I also have never, ever seen anyone using the tube with a scooter.

Thanks for the info Globaliser

If we get off at Earls Ct can we catch a cab there easily?

There is no taxi rank as such at Earls Court. Funnily enough one of the closest ranks where there is a rank with taxi's all the time is outside the Kensington Forum.

At Earls Court you want to get out at the Earls Court Road exit, (front of the train). The Earls Court Road is for much of the day at gridlock as its the boundary of the London congestion zone. Pavement is also narrow ina busily trafficked road, so its not an attractive proposition.

I must say, all things being equal with the hassle involved I think you're better off going to Gloucester Road. Switch trains at Hammersmith where the Piccadilly Line from Heathrow and District line share the same platform. Then get out at Gloucester Road. You've then only got a short flight of stairs to go up from the District Line, as opposed to the Piccadilly Line which is deep underground at this stage.

Taking it slowly one bag at a time shouldn't be no problem at all.

The Holiday Inn is just around the corner.

I'm not down that way very often, but I don't see why not. Both entrances to Earls Court station are on busy main roads where many cabs are likely to pass.

In terms of distance, the Earls Court Road entrance is closer to the hotel. So if you have a choice, head this way. But I'm not sure where the lifts will tip you out.

I live in Earl's Court and know this tube station very well :) ! The lift from the Piccaddilly Line will open nearer the Earls Court Road exit. You should easily be able to flag a passing black taxi. When you get off the tube, I see that lots of people with luggage miss the lifts (not very well marked at all). There are two 'Way Out's at Earl's Court and you need to take the one that says 'Earls Court Road Exit', which is the one the lift. There are only two of them so you might have to wait awhile (and often one is out of order!).

Otherwise, the Piccaddilly Line also stops at Gloucester Road and there is a lift from the platform to ground level. I don't recall having to take any stairs at all, but I don't use that station often. No need to change to the Circle Line, you can get straight there on the Blue one! The hotel is a short walk around the corner.

Rsquare

which stop did you get off at on the picadilly (blue line) with the two lifts to get to the Holiday Inn Forum?

thanks in advance

Annette

Gloucester Road. It's about a block and a half from the hotel, at Cromwell Road and Gloucester Road. Although the hotel property fronts on Cromwell Road, the actual entrance is half a block back off Ashburn Place, between Cromwell and Courtfield Road; it is even, level street walking.

There are two entrances to the Gloucester Road station; the one closer to Cromwell Road has no step to my recollection, and the one which opens directly on Gloucester Road may have one small step up.

now I am staying at the Park Plaza COunty next to the Waterloo station. How feasible is it for two women to take 4-5 piece of luggage to the tube and then , how easy is it to find what I need?

Not very feasible. The only tube available to you at Heathrow is the Piccadilly line, which does not go to Waterloo. You would have to change to the Jubilee line at Green Park or the Northern Line at Leicester Square; both changes are likely to involve stairs or, at best, high-speed escalators. Unlike Piccadilly line cars, none of the other London Underground cars have luggage space. If the hotel is in the vicinity of County Hall, there will be a noticeable walk from the Underground station.

You best option is to try to find some sort of van service which will take you directly to the hotel; most cities have them, but I don't know anything about what's available at Heathrow. Failing that, Heathrow Express to Paddington station, and a cab to the hotel at Waterloo, but be aware that Waterloo is clear across town from Paddington.

Not very feasible. The only tube available to you at Heathrow is the Piccadilly line, which does not go to Waterloo. You would have to change to the Jubilee line at Green Park or the Northern Line at Leicester Square; both changes are likely to involve stairs or, at best, high-speed escalators. Unlike Piccadilly line cars, none of the other London Underground cars have luggage space. If the hotel is in the vicinity of County Hall, there will be a noticeable walk from the Underground station.
I agree with this.

Two people with 5 pieces of luggage rule themselves out automatically because they wouldn't be able to meet the list in my usual advice. Even if you have only 4 pieces of luggage, it would be a stretch for most people.

The Piccadilly Line -> Jubilee Line change at Green Park is, funnily enough, one that can be done step-free: There is a lift up from the Piccadilly Line platforms to the interchange corridor, which is then step free (but with slopes) to another lift down to the Jubilee Line platforms. But it's quite a long walk, and the last time I did this (with a 25 kg suitcase plus a backpack plus a paper shopping bag) one of the lifts was out of order. Not recommended for the faint-hearted; I often actually choose to change Tubes twice (Barons Court, then Westminster) to get to the Jubilee Line just to avoid changing at Green Park, even though those lifts exist.

At Waterloo, there is step-free access from the Jubilee Line to the street. But the Jubilee Line is right at the other end of Waterloo station from County Hall and the Park Plaza County Hall, so it would be a 10-15 minute walk to get there even without luggage.

Globaliser....do you think this could work for us: two adults and a 14 yer old, two pieces of luggage each, from Heathrow to Sheraton Park Lane which is between and Hyde Park and Green Park stations.l..which should we get off at?

Yes Gloucester Road tube station has lifts from the Piccadilly line (Blue line) that you take in from Heathrow BUT in order to get from the platform to the lifts you need to walk up a short flight of stairs (I would say around 12 steps). NOT particularly user-friendly with luggage.

There is, however, an airport bus which stops almost outside the Kensington Forum. This might be an option for you. Otherwise you can get a mini cab to meet you at the airport and bring you in. Last time I did this is cost me £35, which was considerably cheaper than a black taxi. However this was 2 years ago! A very reliable firm (you can Google them) is Addison Lee. You can pre-book and they will meet your flight. If they have a long waiting time they will charge for this. Last March when I took the tube in the ticket was around £8. If there are 3 of you and your 5 bags then it isn't so much more for the minicab!!

do you think this could work for us: two adults and a 14 yer old, two pieces of luggage each, from Heathrow to Sheraton Park Lane which is between and Hyde Park and Green Park stations.l..which should we get off at?
It could, if you're strong. Escalators at both stations, but still almost certainly leaving some flights of stairs to negotiate.

Personally, I would use Green Park because getting to the hotel from Hyde Park Corner will probably involve also negotiating the subways under the big road junction there.

There is, however, an airport bus which stops almost outside the Kensington Forum. This might be an option for you.

If you are talking about the Airbus, when I tried to use it last November I was told that it had stopped running. It's actually one of the reasons that I first started staying at the Forum, years ago.

Archived