anyone use a free companion ticket offer

oceanseagle12

Just wondering if anyone has redeemed one of these offers. I don't know if I am allowed to say the name of the company, but I got this vacation incentive for registering for a travel club.

Im waiting on the voucher to arrive, but wanted to know if anyone has any experience dealing with these. So far it sounds good. Even the stated price for the first passenger is cheaper than what I've found online so far. So unless there are some hidden fees somewhere, then it seems like a good deal.

Any info?

My husband gets a $50 companion ticket every year from his Master Card from Alaska Airlines. We pay $50 plus the taxes. We`re flying to Vegas on Friday on his :)

The OP's is totally different from what you have. What you have is the Alaska Airlines $50 flat fare companion ticket SYSTEM-WIDE - that means, you pay the same $50+ tax if you fly to Hawaii. Yes, AS now flies to Hawaii now. Or at least they started that route last year. Dont know if the route is still there this year given the current state of airline affair. I have a few of those (2 or 3 each for our accounts) and they will go to waste as AS only flies MIA/SEA for our market. However, I sure appreciate the multiple 20K bonus AS miles we got when we got our AS Cards which I think is a Visa for us from BofA. I dont remember it now as they were long been cancelled.

The OP joined a travel club for the promise of a free companion ticket. There are usually many restrictions on the usage of the certificate of the free companion ticket. OP needs to read the fine print to figure out if it works or not. Just by making a question here, no one can give an answer.

I personally received free companion ticket offers on a weekly basis from AMEX and Citi - after I torn the application forms, they went to the recycling bin.

The OP joined a travel club for the promise of a free companion ticket. There are usually many restrictions on the usage of the certificate of the free companion ticket. OP needs to read the fine print to figure out if it works or not. Just by making a question here, no one can give an answer.

I personally received free companion ticket offers on a weekly basis from AMEX and Citi - after I torn the application forms, they went to the recycling bin.

Thanks, I've read the fine print. I didn't think making a question here would magically tell me if "it works or not." Rather, I asked if anyone has redeemed one of these so that I could learn from their experience.

As I said, even the price for the first ticket on the trip I need is listed cheaper than what I've found online ($285 instead of $402). None of the text indicates any additional fees on this ticket, just that you have to pay taxes and fees on the companion ticket.

Thanks, I've read the fine print. I didn't think making a question here would magically tell me if "it works or not." Rather, I asked if anyone has redeemed one of these so that I could learn from their experience.

As I said, even the price for the first ticket on the trip I need is listed cheaper than what I've found online ($285 instead of $402). None of the text indicates any additional fees on this ticket, just that you have to pay taxes and fees on the companion ticket.

Post the name of the company. I will bet that those are consolidator tickets, with all the restrictions, high change fees and non endorsability.

If it is Bestfares or AirFare.com, stay away.

And the travel voucher is from a company called "Lifestyle Vacation Incentives, Inc."

I've checked the BBB reports on both companies. Travelers Advantage is not rated, and has unresolved complaints.

However LVI has a satisfactory rating and has had zero complaints in the past 36 months. This is the company that I would actually be getting the ticket from, so that gives me hope that this might be a good deal.

I will be glad to share my experience as I move forward, so maybe someone else will benefit. Thanks!

It is Travelers Advantage.

WHOA!!!!! Do a quick Google search for Travelers Advantage. After their own website, the next three or four listings were Rip Off Report or other dissatisfied/disgruntled people

And when I read the fine print, you have NO protection if you book tickets with these people. They even go so far as to state that they are NOT liable for anything over $50.00 if your credit card is fraudulently charged. Since a good percentage of the complaints concern continuing monthly charges AFTER the client has canceled and Travelers Advantage STATES specifically that they are NOT liable for "fraudulent charges", it means they can continue to bill for quite a few months and you really have no recourse.

PLEASE, LOOSE THIS COMPANY. It looks like a real rip.

And the travel voucher is from a company called "Lifestyle Vacation Incentives, Inc."

I've checked the BBB reports on both companies. Travelers Advantage is not rated, and has unresolved complaints.

However LVI has a satisfactory rating and has had zero complaints in the past 36 months. This is the company that I would actually be getting the ticket from, so that gives me hope that this might be a good deal.

I will be glad to share my experience as I move forward, so maybe someone else will benefit. Thanks!

Even worse. Lifestyle Vacation Incentives is the BIG marketer of "free" vacations for time share presentations. Those time share "vacations" are almost IMPOSSIBLE to use unless you want to go on February 29 in a non leap year year. The air portion comes with VERY strict black out dates, etc.

Here is just a blurb someone posted about how much more it was going to cost using the "free companion ticket" on another travel deal. Worth reading.

http://home.netcom.com/~rcowen/free_companion_ticket.htm

thanks greatam. I read some of that too. I will not be continuing membership with travelers beyond the trial period.

as for the companion offer though, that is via Lifestyle Vacation Incentives. They appear to be reputable, so I am not scared off by the tactics or reports regarding travelers.

I know how to prevent fraudelent charges. That's what pre-paid visas are for!

thanks greatam. I read some of that too. I will not be continuing membership with travelers beyond the trial period.

as for the companion offer though, that is via Lifestyle Vacation Incentives. They appear to be reputable, so I am not scared off by the tactics or reports regarding travelers.

I know how to prevent fraudelent charges. That's what pre-paid visas are for!

They may be reputable (they are the largest in promotional airfare). Just don't count on using your companion cert of a specific date, ESPECIALLY if it is prime flying season or to a popular destination. And I certainly would not count on getting companion airfare for a cruise. You may be sadly disappointed. The certs are VERY hard to use.

Thanks for the link, good read. I am not counting on anything, thats for sure. Once I get the voucher, I will call and see if my needed travel dates/destination is available, and how much the total cost for the two tickets will be. I've done enough research to know what a good deal is. So if it isn't a good deal, or the dates I need won't work, then it all goes in the shredder. And all I will be out is a little research time and phone time online.... No biggie either way. :D

Thanks again!

Thanks for the link, good read. I am not counting on anything, thats for sure. Once I get the voucher, I will call and see if my needed travel dates/destination is available, and how much the total cost for the two tickets will be. I've done enough research to know what a good deal is. So if it isn't a good deal, or the dates I need won't work, then it all goes in the shredder. And all I will be out is a little research time and phone time online.... No biggie either way. :D

Thanks again!

You missed the part about consolidator tickets. These are NOT the type of tickets to have in today's airline environment. Caveat Emptor!!!!

Without posting WHICH company you received such offer, no one can answer your question because there are many types of free companian tickets cert offers out there.

Ooops, I just saw you answered Greatam's post, and more ooops, she did a google on it.

I can tell you any outfit that requires you pay a monthly due to maintain membership with a carrot of free travel offer generally falls into the "if it is too good to be true, it is." category. Every now and then in our town, the local newspaper / TV station would have reports about how people would not be able to use such "travel freebies" and were unable to cancel their membership, etc etc as we have lots of seniors and they are easy targets for such scam.

...Yes, AS now flies to Hawaii now. Or at least they started that route last year. Dont know if the route is still there this year given the current state of airline affair...

A bit off topic, but I believe AS is doing well flying into HI. They are filling tsome of the void created Aloha and are continuing to expand service. All major islands have non-stop service from SEA. Service from ANC to HNL year round and seasonal to OGG. I am expecting them to add HI from LAX as part of their expansion there and possibly other locations in California.

• 2 years later...

So what happened? I just signed up for Lifestyle Vacations Network USA 3 day/2 night package. Is it time share related?

Archived