Dumping Our TA-Need advice

tessar

I've had it with my travel agent.

I'm going to plan this trip all by myself with the help from this forum.

My husband and I (early 50s) want to do a river cruise in Europe in the fall of 2009.

We want to have a fun, relaxing time seeing Europe, beginning or ending in Germany. The trip should be about 14 days.

I am so open to suggestions. When I picked up some brochures from the TA, she said "good luck" finding something.

Seabee

I don't think Tessar is worried about the TA fees- she is probably fed up with a TA who doesn't give service, doesn't seem to care about finding out about options and just wants her to book. I can empathise - I once had a TA who when I would ask for suggestions e.g. on possible itineraries, comparisions of airline prices etc. would never get back to me. I would have to have the dates, airlines etc all organised for her just to book. I do most stuff on line now - not interested in the fees; if I got the service I would gladly pay.

Go for it Tessar - there are lots of options out there.

You're probably not going to like this, but I'm writing in defense of my TA on my upcoming river cruise. Who told me about the AARP and past passenger discounts? My TA. Who helped me find the cheapest way to fly into Prague and out of Amsterdam? My TA. Who was my "go-between" with Delta when they dropped service out of my city after I was ticketed? My TA. Sure...my TA let me pick my itinerary...even my cruise line. But it was my TA who pointed out some of the subtle differences in itinerary and cruise line (wine with dinner, for example.....free laundry onboard, another example). I'd like to think I could plan it all by myself. In fact, I'm sure I could. However, why should I bother when my TA will do it all for the same (or less) cost and I have someone to protect me from schedule changes and find me the discounts.

Mushroom, you should bottle your TA (as we say) - the sort of service you are getting is what they should be providing but many do not - either do not have the skills (i.e. to research and find out) or the interest (only want to do the easy stuff). If I had a TA like yours I'd probably book through them. Tessar probably would as well.

Mushroom,

Half the fun of traveling for me is making my own plans including airline reservation.

tessar,

I spend the whole year ahead of my trips planning things to do on my own including things to see and do not included in tours.I always make my own hotel reservations for pre and post tours. My biggest resources are Tripadvisor and Fodors. It's fun to do it on your own. You can do it,no problem.There is also an online TA that I have used to get a better discount than I could get directly from the cruise company.

I understand. I have a friend who is a TA and I worked with her on several trips, she would usually just give me some brochures and let me pick out what we wanted and then she would book the tour. Several years later after I became computer smart I would look on line and began to book my own tours and it worked. However, we are soon leaving on a trip to Russia. I found a tour on line that we liked. But since we were going to need visas and with the airlines not being very helpful any more I decided to contact another local TA. Believe me, she has worked hard for us and I do believe she has saved us money and possible problems. I now realize that the first TA, who I still like as a friend, is mostly just an "order taker".

My husband tells people that I enjoy a tour 3 times more than he does, once in the planning, the actual tour and then remembering it afterwards!

No one is perfect. And also a TA can´t know everything. It´s a fact that many TA´s are knowledgeable regarding ocean cruises but only a few of them have experiences with river cruises.

tessar,

Can you please specify what you´re interested in. Should the cruise be 14 nights? Or do you want a 7 night cruise + 7 night guided land tour? Or a 7 night cruise and 7 night rental car?

There is no 14 night cruise which ends/starts in Germany. You can spend 14 nights from Amsterdam to Budapest or Paris (bus ride) - Budapest. There are 7 nighter from Amsterdam to Basel. The only companies offering cruises out of Germany are the more upscale German ones

www.deilmann-cruises.com

www.seacloud.de

www.premiconqueen.de

Cruise companies plying the US market (or English speaking market) do have other itineraries, so check with Avalon, AMAWaterways, Globus, Grand Circle, Uniworld, Vantage, Viking and more. You can book directly with them. They also will arrange air and transport (but you can save money booking air on your own).

Order the brochures and compare the itineraries. Pick out the one you like most. Check all other amenities (like free beer/wine for dinner, free bottled water, WiFi if needed...). Then decide for the company.

steamboats

Tessar,

You should ask around for a travel agent who will work for you. I know many TAs who work very hard for their clients because I am one myself. Don't accept laziness and a bad attitude. Just find one who wants your business and will help you get the best trip possible. I've been doing it for 30 years, and just like other professions there are big differences in expertise and willingness to help others. Ask your friends & coworkers for recommendations, and I'll bet you'll be happier than trying to book everything yourself. Good luck, Tennessee Traveler

I'm much like you, Letsgo39. I really enjoy planning my own trips. That does not take away my need for my TA, however. I still do the research - often asking her advice along the way. When I'm ready to book, I go to her office and we sit down and she finalizes all of the arrangements. She might "fine tune" some of my details, but never without my approval. I have never thought that she was being lazy. I know for a fact that she understands my desire to be a big part of the planning phase of the trip and she knows that I will eventually get back to her to make the actual booking. As I said before, she becomes my "buffer" between all the things that might go wrong once the trip is finalized. Believe me, there have been plenty of times when I've been glad to have just one phone call (to the TA) to solve a problem rather than me, myself having to make multiple calls....sit on hold....be treated rudely...and on, and on. I can't understand anyone's reluctance to use a TA. To me, it's just the simplest, safest, most cost effective way to get exactly what I want.

I've had it with my travel agent.

I'm going to plan this trip all by myself with the help from this forum.

My husband and I (early 50s) want to do a river cruise in Europe in the fall of 2009.

We want to have a fun, relaxing time seeing Europe, beginning or ending in Germany. The trip should be about 14 days.

I am so open to suggestions. When I picked up some brochures from the TA, she said "good luck" finding something.

You should be able to find a web agent who discounts your river cruise. Also, booking your own stay in an interesting city before or after your river cruise would be easy. For example, if your cruise started from Vienna, you could go to Budapest on your own first, then take the three hour train ride to Vienna to start the cruise. Or you may just want to stay in Vienna for a few nights on your own.

If you want to travel longer distances, airlines have programs for discounted travel between European cities. See for example Star Alliance or One World.

Bob

I have done only one European River Cruise, returning home this past April. However, I have traveled extensively throughout the world. While I do often use a TA, I do all the research myself, through the Internet. I research the areas I want to visit, available attractions, and very importantly read the reviews of others who have taken the same or similar trip. Keep in mind though, that with reviews from folks who arrive upset, remain so, and give the tour bad reviews, they are often venting. Read several. I would look for another TA to start with! Dump the one who is unresponsive! It is your vacation to enjoy, so don't let the TA spoil it for you.

Just one comment in defense of travel agents:

As a TA with a storefront agency, we do get a large number of walk-in clients. It's impossible to know which ones are really interested in taking a trip, and which ones are just passing by and decide to stop in for some air-conditioning and to "pick my brain" (as was once said to me.)

It does take a lot of time to plan someone's vacation, and often the "clients" have no intention of traveling, or then they take my informantion and do it themselves on the internet.

I do think that Tesser was given the short end of the stick, (as it seems her TA didn't do any preliminary work at all)...but it is frustrating when you work so hard on a quote & then the client does even bother to return your call...

That being said, good travel agents will go out of their way for their clients, and the sky's the limit for repeat customers. When you find a good one, stick with them like glue.

:)

For traveling pre and post cruise, I usually check several books for ideas on places to stay in the cities as well as sightseeing suggestions. Check out Rick Steve's books. He doesn't have one for every country, but most in W. Europe. Also, you can google "bargain airlines in Europe" and get a number of airlines that travel to some, but not all of the places you may be interested in. Also, be sure and check alternate/nearby cities.

Thanks for all the names of recommended companies. I've ordered several brochures. :)

We are interested in a 14 Day River Cruise and there seems to be a lot of companies to chose from, more than I expected. We would probably tend to go with a mid-level one with a pre-cruise stay and a post-cruise stay.

Has anyone had any experience with a pre-cruise experience or post-cruise experience that hasn't work well?

I appreciate all the ideas.

Sorry if my venting on my TA caused any concerns. Considering we've traveled to Hawaii for two weeks and two weeks in Ireland in less than 5 months, I just expected her to show some slight interest.:o

Sorry if my venting on my TA caused any concerns. Considering we've traveled to Hawaii for two weeks and two weeks in Ireland in less than 5 months, I just expected her to show some slight interest.:o

No stress, Tessar. You do sound like prize clients & your ex-TA was foolish to let you go. Good luck with your research. It's one of the most fun parts of the vacation. :)

we booked our European river cruises always through an internet agent - there is no travel agency where we live. We never had problems and received an outstanding service and got a better price than from the cruise line directly.

Seabee, I think your comment to Tessar was a bit harsh. The wonderful thing about forums like CC is the willingness for everyone to share ideas, recommendations and in some cases bad experiences. I use forums a lot and find the information given extremely valuable when planning a trip. Thanks to all the wonderful people willing to share. Mainly I book trips myself, but on my recent one I decided to use a T/A. In hindsight this was not a good idea, prehaps not fault of his but of the tour company scenic- time will tell. In my case I feel that due to his delay in following up my request, I am not able to get the flights I wanted. Also, scenic keep telling him different costings to the special they advertised. Even though I have kept correcting the costings and explaining about the special- the communication is not getting through. In future, I shall go back to booking direct.

I booked our first rivercruise last year with no problems. Through CC I found a discounted travel agent in California (I'm in Connectiuct) who offered a tremdous discount for all 6 of us on 3 cabins. We went with AMA MS Amadagio and had a wonderful time. Ship was about 1 yr old. Had "french balconies", wine at dinner. I also booked a pre cruise hotel in Amsterdam, again through CC members and a lot of research through tripadvisor. The hotel arranged for our transfer from hotel to ship with no problem. We asked on our check in. We booked a private guide in Amsterdam for 1/2, again on line through recommendations.

I enjoy doing research and doing trips on my own and so far they have turned out terrific. Lucky I guess.

I also enjoy helping other CC members with experiences and recommendations. That's what I like about CC is the willingness by many to share.

If you want any other info, please send your private email so I can directly email you with the agent in CA. (CC doesn't allow us to tell!)

Hope this helps a bit

I would be interested in your email address--hoping they would also book ocian cruises. jchalbach@yahoo.com

This is a really interesting thread with both sides of the issue being presented fairly and accurately. I myself go with the "do it yourselfers"...Like them, I find the planning and researching sometimes to be more fun than the trip itself! with the internet and books like Frommers and Fodors it's not hard and for the most part when I call the company (Trafalgar or Vantage) directly I get to ask my questions and get answers I can rely on and, I have no problem getting my AAA or AARP discounts. Biggest benefit: if I screw up( and I have screwed up, sometimes big time!) I have no one to blame but myself! Try it on something simple like a week-end or week long trip in the US and see what happens. There's plenty of us who will help you with sources.:D :D

Archived