Dream- toned down?

marinearchit

In one of the other threads regarding the Oasis someone mentioned that RCI might be appealing to the new cruising family, a family that might be more at home at a theme park or a mall and I believe that to be correct. Keeping that in mind, I also believe that without the romance of the sea RCI built a vessel that won't have any, or very few, return passengers.

What makes us sail? What brings us back to ships time and time again? The wonderful shopping on board? No. The superior latte that you got in a brand name café? No. The fact that your ship looks like the main street in your home town? No. It's the sea. The sea brings us back. The sea is the hook. The sea is the main character in this amazing drama.

The Dream invites you to linger with sea views. It invites you to smell salt air and perhaps even feel the spray on your face from a Cove balcony.

Carnival, in my opinion, 'gets it'. They understand why we cruise not just how to get us on a ship.

From everything I've seen, the Dream is a spot on accomplishment. I'm stunned and thrilled...

cruise-ship-ani.gifThats how I feel, Mach!! Give me a ship!!:)

I read that thread and it's subjective, just like all of our opinions. Fortunately, I'm blessed to not have to worry about money so the "nickle and dime" complaints are moot for me. However, it hasn't stopped many people from sailing the ships as the demand is still high.

I'm similarly "blessed" and while its nice some are willing to turn a blind eye to the cutbacks, I'm not. One of the reasons I am very "blessed" is I still understand value while enjoying the pleasures in life.

I read that thread and it's subjective, just like all of our opinions. Fortunately, I'm blessed to not have to worry about money so the "nickel and dime" complaints are moot for me. However, it hasn't stopped many people from sailing the ships as the demand is still high.

cruise-ship-ani.gifWell Scott, thats why there are so many different Cruise Lines out there, I hope to cruise on the "Dream" sometime but you never know, I may try the big Ol' Oasis!:) Somtime!:)

cruise-ship-ani.gifWell Scott, thats why there are so many different Cruise Lines out there, I hope to cruise on the "Dream" sometime but you never know, I may try the big Ol' Oasis!:) Somtime!:)

Which is why I am here looking for information on the Dream. Supposedly my cousins are wanting to book the European cruise on the ship and have invited me to join their party and I more than likely will. :) It will be my first Carnival cruise since my Destiny cruise in 1999.

I wasn't trying to argue but I was at least hoping for just a bit more after coming off of a week of constant Oasis news.

Which is why I am here looking for information on the Dream. Supposedly my cousins are wanting to book the European cruise on the ship and have invited me to join their party and I more than likely will. :) It will be my first Carnival cruise since my Destiny cruise in 1999.

As I said, wasn't trying to argue but I was at least hoping for just a bit more after coming off of a week of constant Oasis news. I h

cruise-ship-ani.gifCool! But after the "Oasis" The media made such a big deal about the "size", After all the drooling over it, how could you top that??:confused: But I hope you do give the "Dream" a chance!:)

After looking at the press release, I have to agree with Scott... there is not any wow or innovation on this ship. It is just bigger, with more people, while fixing some of the problems of past ships. I posted earlier, that i would be disapponted to look down from my balcony and see the jutting out promenade with people eating instead of the ocean?

While I am partial to neither Carnival nor RCI... looking at the two I would pick the Oasis. Why? because it is different. And after 30 something cruises, i like to see new things. Will it be something I want to go back on a second time, who knows, but I would pick it.

Look at how much attention this ship has gotten. RCI has done a brilliant job marketing it. Did anyone even know that the F3 from NCL released some pretty innovative ideas, as bad as some of them are with paying for literally every possible thing? o Oasis won the headlight. Similarly, the Dream release was lackluster. While I am sure it will be a fine addition to the fleet, ther eis nothing extraordinary out there to draw new people onto it.

I read that thread and it's subjective, just like all of our opinions. Fortunately, I'm blessed to not have to worry about money so the "nickel and dime" complaints are moot for me. However, it hasn't stopped many people from sailing the ships as the demand is still high.

What Carnival has that RCCL doesn't is a good business model and disciplined management.

What is the cost per berth for Oasis? How long will it take RCCL shareholders to figure out that the ship will lose money for a number of years, if not for decades?

Carnival has a model that works. RCCL has to keep reinventing itself to try not to pull a Titanic.

What Carnival has that RCCL doesn't is a good business model and disciplined management.

What is the cost per berth for Oasis? How long will it take RCCL shareholders to figure out that the ship will lose money for a number of years, if not for decades?

Carnival has a model that works. RCCL has to keep reinventing itself to try not to pull a Titanic.

cruise-ship-ani.gif Just give me a ship!!:) Not Disney World!! :eek: Been there done that!!:D

I have to honestly say, there was alot more hype to the Dream than was actually delivered. While it does look like an enjoyable ship, i was more or less saying to myself, "oh, thats nice", when i was looking at the pictures, there was no "WOW!, thats gonna be cool". It just looks very universal, nothing at all that wowed me.

I am not saying that these are bad things, cause, even when i go on vacation, it is nice to have that familiar feeling, its comforting, does add to the enjoyment of the vacation, for me at least.

I just really thought there was going to be an awful lot more to it though.

One last thing, the poster who said something about the passenger to space ratio being quite low, i really do have to say that is a major concern of mine. I am by no means a cheerleader for any cruise line. But, it passenger capacity is the same as RCI's Freedom class vessels, and significantly smaller in size.

Thats one reason why i have never tried Princesses second generation Grand class vessels. They have again, the same capacity as RCI's Freedom class, and are even smaller than the Dream.

Happy Cruising!

I really think that you don't know what you are talking about. Don't you think that RCI has done a research before starting the Genesis project @ over 1 billion USD per ship ?and if they are doing it, because they can fill up the Voyager and Freedom class easily and that is also the case. In one of the interviews Richard Fain said the the passengers were asking for larger and innovative ships. He also said that the demand is so high that you will have to pay premium prices to get on that ship.

DW and I are just excited that we will get a new ship in Canaveral. We definitely will sail on Dream after sailing on Glory 3 times. May even sail Oasis after we sail Dream. We just love cruising and being on the ship and being in a Fantasy world for a week. Could care less where the ship goes, just get me outta here for a week.

I really think that you don't know what you are talking about. Don't you think that RCI has done a research before starting the Genesis project @ over 1 billion USD per ship ?and if they are doing it, because they can fill up the Voyager and Freedom class easily and that is also the case. In one of the interviews Richard Fain said the the passengers were asking for larger and innovative ships. He also said that the demand is so high that you will have to pay premium prices to get on that ship.
Besides that Royal Caribbean has been making some HUGE profits the last two years

You have one feature to support your point... the Amphitheater. I've already said, in another thread, that I really like this feature.

There is no 'je ne sais quoi' in a shopping mall and a burger stand, or at least there isn't for me. And that, after all, is the point. It's not there for ME. I'm expressing my opinion and you're expressing yours.

I won't sail on the Oasis of the Seas. I don't need a mall, I don't need a zip line (and tell me that's not a gimmick... along with the silliness of an ice skating rink...) I don't need a rock wall. I need MY experience of the sea, MY experience of a cruise. Bottom line... Carnival does this for me.

Very unfair & silly statements...have you been on the Freedom Of The Seas?..It's not a mall,it's a Promenade-a place to stroll down,meet friends,have a drink-fabulous idea & place..the ice-skating show is one of THEE BEST activities on a ship I've ever seen...superlative skaters doing amazing stunts-you didn't think that was terrific? EVERYONE I've told to see it has said 100% great show (no exceptions)..I've sailed Carnival 6 times (including Pride & Triumph) and loved all,but their ships in NO WAY compare to RCI's Freedom/Voyager class.The FOS was THE best ship we ever sailed.My biggest complaint w/CCL is the ships itself-wwaaaayyy too much neon & glitter-Farcus is no doubt on LSD when designing these ships-we much prefer the soft colors,the glass & wood of RCI ships-so much easier on the eyes..a mall? Don't you think the Carnival ships look more like Circus Circus from a Vegas hotel with all the glitz?

Very unfair & silly statements...have you been on the Freedom Of The Seas?..It's not a mall,it's a Promenade-a place to stroll down,meet friends,have a drink-fabulous idea & place..the ice-skating show is one of THEE BEST activities on a ship I've ever seen...superlative skaters doing amazing stunts-you didn't think that was terrific? EVERYONE I've told to see it has said 100% great show (no exceptions)..I've sailed Carnival 6 times (including Pride & Triumph) and loved all,but their ships in NO WAY compare to RCI's Freedom/Voyager class.The FOS was THE best ship we ever sailed.My biggest complaint w/CCL is the ships itself-wwaaaayyy too much neon & glitter-Farcus is no doubt on LSD when designing these ships-we much prefer the soft colors,the glass & wood of RCI ships-so much easier on the eyes..a mall? Don't you think the Carnival ships look more like Circus Circus from a Vegas hotel with all the glitz?

Totally agree with you !! I was thinking the same when I read it.

Archived