6/30 Sailing on Prince Albert

canaandog

Hi Judy and Jim,

Yes, we are taking those darn rubber boots! Know they are essential, but as another poster said, they weigh alot.We had the same concern about hiking,no way I could hike in rubber knee high boots,so the only thing to do is cart along the hiking shoes and change when we land. I know we'll get it all worked out.We have been following the weather in Greenland and it doesn't appear to be to bad.I just hope we aren't taking more cold weather gear than we need, of course the wind and ice off the water will make it colder. Also, since there are, no jeans allowed, in the dining room for dinner we've had to pack clothes for dinner. We will be on board for 26 days,so the staff will know us by our red,black, and tan slacks. Sure hope we don't spill, we will be in a real pickle. Think it is a good idea to take hiking poles,we have ours all nicely tucked in, amongst the forty eleven other must haves. See you soon,have a good trip to Reykjavik.

Hi, How do the zoiacs work? I can see there are 8, with 132 passengers does that mean that you allocated a zodiac or do you get to go out once a day? I saw a photo that showed about 8 people in one of the zodiacs - does that mean a lot of waiting time or is it OK?

Thanks

Soraya

I was in the Galop with X's exp last October - There was 5-6 zodiacs fitting 16 people max - a lineup formed with usually the oldest pax (lol) wanting on first - young in's couples usually going last

They filled each zodiac - each with a guide - until the last group - which usually 'sailed' less than 16 -sometimes as little as 6

Our group - 6 of the youngest pax - (which all met the day before in Quito) made it a practice always to be the last group one - as most of the time we not only had less people on the Zodiac - but felt we had more personal attention from the naturlist - especially since out of the 6 guides on ship - the last zodiac always left with the same 2 - we got to know those 2 people really really well

My wife and I met a lovely very adventurous 'young' at heart couple on that trip and we are now hooking up on a similar voyage with SS in the Antartic on the new ship next Jan 09

We'll surely be last one on all zodiacs and we can't wait to freeze our butts off

jc

toronto

jc, thanks for the info. I think we're going to go for this and book the Prince Albert for Antartica at the end of Jan. Our first trip with Silversea and to Antarctica - would have liked a veranda but they're all gone! Am looking for photos showing the size of the windows in the View suites - but think we'll be pretty happy:)

My wife and I are reserved on the Chilean Fjords November trip, we are going to fly in to Santiago on Saturday, Sunday night in Valpraiso, then monday begins the cruise, any cruise critic members signed up for this trip? Ken from Pennsylvania

Soraya

We're on the Jan 29th - Full payment due this weekend - in one of the vista picture window rooms

Also our first trip with Silversea's and our first trip to this region of the world - save Ecuador with X

We are travelling with another couple we met on our Expedition adventure

jc

toronto

Ken from Pennsylvania.

We have booked the Chilean Fjords and will be continuing on to the following Antarctica Cruise. We will also arrive at Santiago and have booked at the Radisson Acqua Hotel in Concon from the Saturday to Monday. Where do you plan to stay?

All

Any ideas on the best way to get to Concon from Santiago. We are thinking of getting a tour operator or private driver from the airport and doing a short tour of Santiago before the transfer to Concon. Any ideas as to whom we could use or other suggestions. I think Lan Air does a shuttle to Vina del Mar at a modest cost - must be prebooked I think. Anyone know if it will be difficult with luggage to get from the drop off spot to Concon by taxi?

jc

We think we're going ahead whith our booking on 29 Jan. Have you started a roll call already?

We're booking the view as everything between the view and the discoverer suite was booked!

• 3 weeks later...

Does Silvereas have roll calls here? (lol)

You are joining a 'younger couple' from Toronto and a couple from SD - all 4 of us cruise regularily - both having just been to Alaska (seperate trips)

Us with Princess - them with R7S -

Point me where to start a roll call and I will start one...

jc

Toronto

Does Silvereas have roll calls here? (lol)

You are joining a 'younger couple' from Toronto and a couple from SD - all 4 of us cruise regularily - both having just been to Alaska (seperate trips)

Us with Princess - them with R7S -

Point me where to start a roll call and I will start one...

jc

Toronto

Go ahead and start a roll call directly on this forum!

Host Dan

• 3 weeks later...

I also went to the Antarctica forum - I need somewhere to ask about how many pair of socks to wear and the merits of silk over wool:)

Hello Soraya

Merino Wool rules, as far as socks are concerned.

For underwear, go synthetic, they wash easier and are lightweight!

• 6 months later...
My wife and I are reserved on the Chilean Fjords November trip, we are going to fly in to Santiago on Saturday, Sunday night in Valpraiso, then monday begins the cruise, any cruise critic members signed up for this trip? Ken from Pennsylvania

Have you provided comment on your Chilean Fjords November trip? We are thinking of doing the trip this year, so would appreciate reading your comments.

Archived