Search down, so... What is the best time of year for PG and compare PG vs TP

Hi,

Sorry to ask these again, as I know I've seen threads on these topics before. But since search is down and we are in planning for a Tahiti trip, so:

- What is the best time of year (if any) for a Tahiti cruise?

- How does the Tahitian Princess stack up to the PG? I know it is not all-inclusive and has set dining in the main restaurant. But it appears that similar-sized cabins are 1/2 the price on TP. We are not divers, but will snorkel. We intend to be ashore or in the water whenever possible

Thanks,

RD

Hi Rag. We went in August and it was wonderful. Our TA told us that it tends to be wet in our winter months. Maybe someone else who has been there recently can answer better. Don't know about the TP. Loved PG.

;) When we were on the PG in February 2004, it rained a lot. The Tahitian Princess no longer sails in French Polynesia from January through April (just checked their website).

Make sure when you compare prices that you add on tips, the cost of soft drinks and wine/beer/spirits and, if they have a speciality restaurant, it will have a cost as well.

The cabins are also a bit smaller on TP: Interior doubles are 156 square feet -- window staterooms 146 (really small) - 206. Paul Gauguin window staterooms are 200 sq. ft. (small for Regent but not a bad size).

In today's economy, it makes good sense to make comparisons. While we love the PG (and her future with Regent after next year remains very uncertain), FP is a destination -- you could be on a raft and it would still be incredibly beautiful.

We have been three times in June/July and once over New Years (summer!). The New Years cruise was more humid so it seemed much hotter, even though it was not really much different per the thermometer.

We were on the PG in September 2005. We had a few clouds and rain a couple days but weather was mostly wonderful. September is usually a good time weather-wise in the South Pacific.

We have not been on the Tahitian Princess, but have been on a Princess cruise. I realize that the Tahitian Princess is a smaller ship than the one we were on, but there is absolutely no comparison! The PG is just fabulous. The all-inclusive is a big plus for us, because while on vacation, we enjoy cocktails before dinner and wine with dinner. No worries about how much the tab will be at the end of the cruise. Also, a big factor for us was no formal nights. I could go on and on, but cruising on the PG in the beautiful South Pacific is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

We are looking at two scenarios (10 days), same size cabins:

High budget (our normal modus operandi :eek: ):

PG, Veranda Stateroom

Business Class air

~$19,500 incl xfers, hotel

Low budget:

TP, Mini-suite

Coach air (and try for upgrades). We always get three seats due to Ol' Ragnar's massive size...

~ $9,700 incl three seats, xfers, hotel, and tips, etc. (add booze costs)

PG, Veranda Stateroom

Business Class air

Low budget:

TP, Mini-suite

Coach air (and try for upgrades). We always get three seats due to Ol' Ragnar's massive size...

Based on what you have stated (not really clear)l I would book TP. You can find sailings on the PG for $8,000 for two people plus air (11 nights) -- but, apparently you are looking for something else. IMO, there is no comparison betwen TP and PG -- you need to make the choice for yourself:o

P.S. There is no "Veranda Stateroom" on the PG. Are you thinking of Silversea?

I have been on the Tahitian Princess, but not the PG. On Regent we have been on the Mariner and Voyager.

We were very happy with the Tahitian Princess -- I really can't imagine what kind of service level that would be worth double the price to us. We spent most of our time snorkeling or on the beach; we also took a champagne sunset cruise that was really fun.

I have been on the Tahitian Princess, but not the PG. On Regent we have been on the Mariner and Voyager.

We were very happy with the Tahitian Princess -- I really can't imagine what kind of service level that would be worth double the price to us. We spent most of our time snorkeling or on the beach; we also took a champagne sunset cruise that was really fun.

Was your total cost 1/2 of the PG? Just curious.:confused:

PG, Veranda Stateroom

Business Class air

Low budget:

TP, Mini-suite

I presume you mean a C balcony stateroom on the PG--how does the square footage compare to the TP minisuite? The pluses--tips, all drinks, add up, especially if you remember that on the PG you have your snorkel equipment provided, and get a full motu picnic day thrown in, and a nice beach afternoon on Bora Bora when you're on that island. Oh, and NO FORMAL NIGHTS!!! And great food, instead of mediocre food (or so I've heard.)

Veranda Stateroom is Category B. Been in a B and Cx3. You get butler service in B now but I don't think it is worth it unless money is no object.

We have done February, March, June and October. This year february was definitely the wettest. Based on my experience, only, I would recommend May through October. Your experience may vary!

I only would consider the TP if the PG was no longer in French Polynesia, but hat also is just my point of veiw. Somedays even a raft in Bora Bora lagoon would sound good.

While TP is one of Princess' smaller "boutique" ships, so is more intimate than the mega liners, it is really difficult to compare the 2. Having been on both, I feel that without a doubt (for me) the PG is better -- it's a unique, special product, mostly because of the positive staff and soothing, relaxed atmosphere.

But also I think for your comparison you need to level the playing field a bit. I would not compare PG's veranda stateroom (cat. B) to a mini suite on TP, but think the mini suite may be more in line with cat C on PG, given all variables.

Also, you have factored in business class in one & coach on the other - BIG difference.

All inclusive is a huge contributer -- it's difficult to predict an exact monetary value (pre paid gratuities, bar & bar gratuities, specialty coffees, all bottled waters, alternative dining, minibar in room stocked daily, etc., not to mention superior food quality), but safe to say you need to be aware of all the extras to do a comparison. I'm not a drinker, but still appreciated the lack of nickel & diming in general!

But as for time of year - there is no predictor, IMO. I was there in June before and the weather was fantastic - rain occasionally but lots of sun too, not too hot. We just returned from a June trip and it rained almost the whole time with rough seas a couple times - really put a damper on everything except water activities on several days. Of course my dh says it hardly rained at all, so there you have it -- perspective differences!!

Anyway, it's pretty much apples & oranges comparing the two ships (experiences), but the monetary issues are not that big a factor, given ALL the variables. I think when we return for a 3rd trip we'll try a different month though!

:D

Yes, I think that we spent half the price on TP (not factoring in the airfare).

If we spend $20 a day on sodas and drinks (usually have no more than one each) that's still only $140 for a 7-day cruise, plus tips, let's say we are generous and tip $200, plus some type of "romance package" with champagne for another $200...that comes to only $540.

As a side note, I would never go back to French Polynesia on any cruise line because I was so upset about all the stray, starving dogs roaming on most of the islands. Our local guides told us that there is no type of Humane Society, and people dump their dogs after they age beyond the cute puppy stage. So to me the great snorkeling and beautiful beaches and can't make up for that.

If we spend $20 a day on sodas and drinks (usually have no more than one each) that's still only $140 for a 7-day cruise, plus tips, let's say we are generous and tip $200, plus some type of "romance package" with champagne for another $200...that comes to only $540.

Wow - a room tab of only $540 for a cruise in FP - I'm impressed! Don't think I've ever had one that small with all my extras!! Sorry to hear about the stray dogs though -- I was totally unaware since we didn't see them at all on any tours. That is sad to see, for sure.

Just curious where you saw these abandoned dogs (so sad:( ). We have been to FP four times -- have stayed twice in Moorea, once on Bora Bora and, of course, the PG and fortunately have not seen this. The last time we were there (2005) we noticed extreme over building on Bora Bora --it no longer resembles the island we remember (except the water). We will not likely return to this former paradise -- your comments just reinforced our decision. Having said that, it is considered one of (if not the most) beautiful place in the world and definitely worth viewing -- even if only from the ship.

P.S. On another note, I cannot imagine having only one drink per person per day (even soft drinks). For those that do not drink -- the TP is even a bigger bargain.

I guess you all feel OK visiting Korea, China, souteast asia. Not much chance of seeing stray dogs and cats there!

Of course, you are right. Sometimes people that have not left the U.S. or Canada are not aware of the living standards in many countries. If we did not visit these countries, they would not receive the much needed tourist dollar (or euro? and things would be worse. :o

Yes, there are some sad dogs, I agree. I've also seen this in lots of other places in the world where we in the west go to find "paradise". Some tourists take dog food and feed these poor creatures. Others contribute to volunteer organizations that are trying to get them neutered.

But not on a "get-away to a tropical paradise" type trip. The idea for this trip was to get away from the world's problems for awhile, not discover more....

Mrs D has nixed Tahiti due to this, so time to look into something else. Thanks all for your inputs!

I find it sad that Mrs. D does not want to visit Tahiti because there is a bit of reality there. We have been to many "tropical paradises" -- none without seeing people with less than we are so fortunate to have in the U.S. and Canada. If I wanted to travel to a "perfect" place, I'd stay home. Otherwise, we do what we can accept the way other people live in the world and try to make it better.

I guess you all feel OK visiting Korea, China, souteast asia. Not much chance of seeing stray dogs and cats there!

LOL

Actually my DH had the same comment, but I'm sure that would not really make people feel better to understand what you meant, huh!!

...If I wanted to travel to a "perfect" place, I'd stay home. Otherwise, we do what we can accept the way other people live in the world and try to make it better.

I agree. I've seen a lot of different cultures visiting "third world" countries over the years, and my most humbling experience was when a local let me know that some of the things i was "feeling sorry" about were things he was quite proud of. Like the dirt floors in his palapa or walking his burro to market instead of driving a car. I was judging his life style in relation to mine, and we all know our consumption habits are, well, not the idyllic way.... Okay, off topic here, and he was not being starved obviously, but you know what i mean!!

We have seen a few "strays" when we visited FP. I am not sure they are not part of the big family, that is one of the cultural characteristics of FP. Everyone takes care of everyone sort of thought process, if you know what I mean. I also am somewhat ambivalent about folks finding reasons not to go visit FP, since fewer visitors may result in better deals for me.

I would venture to bet that there are more strays in my city than in the entire archipelego of French Polynesia.

Archived