Poor Customer Service From Rccl

RCCL had a one day sale yesterday. We are sailing on the spledor of the Seas this summer. Our cabin was reduced by 50%. We had held a new cabin in the same catagory. After speaking to numerous people at RCCL we were told they could not do anything for us. The sale was for new bookings only. If we cancelled our original reservation we would loose 50%. After reading the horrible reviews about this ship, I am totally disgusted by RCCL. I sailed on Carnival, Princess, Celebrity and RCCL before. I have never experienced anything like this. Given the economy they should be bending over backwards. Has anyone else experienced poor customer service from RCCL? Any suggestions where to take this to? Thanks

RCCL had a one day sale yesterday. We are sailing on the spledor of the Seas this summer. Our cabin was reduced by 50%. We had held a new cabin in the same catagory. After speaking to numerous people at RCCL we were told they could not do anything for us. The sale was for new bookings only. If we cancelled our original reservation we would loose 50%. After reading the horrible reviews about this ship, I am totally disgusted by RCCL. I sailed on Carnival, Princess, Celebrity and RCCL before. I have never experienced anything like this. Given the economy they should be bending over backwards. Has anyone else experienced poor customer service from RCCL? Any suggestions where to take this to? Thanks

RCCL is the best in the business. They do honor price cuts, most other lines do not. As been stated for a long time, they will not price match on the One Day sale prices....thoses are for NEW bookings only.

I am sorry this happen to you, but I am sure you still have a fantastic cruise.

BILL

Don't take it anywhere!!. The Tuesday Specials, are always FOR NEW BOOKINGS ONLY. Price reductions have never been allowed. My July cruise was on a Tuesday Special recently, our cabin which we paid $1749 for was on sale for $1299.00, that's just the luckof the draw, if you're willing to wait and book at the last minute, then great deals can be had. However, if you know the ship and date you want, and are not flexible then you have to book early and pay the price.

I don't think that this is poor customer service.....RCCL is one of the few cruise lines that will honor price drops after final payment has been made except for the sales that are for new bookings only. You would be out of luck as far as sales/price drops with any other cruiseline at this date..

I have to wonder what you thought "one day sale " meant. It does not mean everyone who has already reserved a cabin can call and get a reduced rate.

Why do you see this as poor customer service? The rules were stated and followed.

Do you think today's economy is any easier on businesses? Do you really feel Rccl should be required to give you a lower rate? If that were the case I would think Rccl would just cease sailing.

I actually feel sorry for the poor reps who have to keep explaining to people that one day sales are for new bookings only.

I guess to answer your question: I don't feel you got poor customer service.

Sorry for the frustration but the others have spelled it out for you very clearly. This has nothing to do with poor customer service. This is their policy. Also, why after reading all of those so called "horrible" reviews did you stick with your booking? Can't wait to read this review.:)

Being Devils advocate for a moment, I cannot see what they have done wrong ? You have a contract with them that they are honouring. You say they are now offering your cabin for sale at 50% off. I assume you mean similiar grades of cabin for that discount. This is no more than most businesses selling a perishable product do. Once a ship has sailed, or an aircraft has taken off then any unsold seats or cabins are lost revenue. Companies will seek to fill unsold capacity by a variety of marketing strategies, such as selling cheap on release and increasing the price as availibility diminishes, or sometimes offering late availibility unsold capacity at cost levels that will yield little profit, breakeven, or even some loss. In the case of an upfront loss, the revenue can be compensated by the possible yield of on board sales etc.

In fairness, I understand your frustration at seeing essentially the same product you have purchased now being sold at half price, and the travel industry would not want to encourage the practice of late booking, as it relies on early bookings and deposits as part of its economic strategy, and it spends a lot of money generating those customers. The argument would say that you had more choice available to you when you booked, and a greater certainty of getting the product you wanted and the price you contracted to, reflected that. If prices had risen by 50% nobody would be arguing to pay the higher price.

It is the same on a airline flight. Try finding another passenger who has paid the same fare for essentially the same seat ? Some will have paid more because they booked later, needed more flexibility, had to guarantee the flight. Some will have paid less and perhaps even got a better product. At the end of the day it is all about timing and risk and the point everybody wants to play their hand.

Best thing is to forget about what others are paying, at some point you must have been sufficiently satisfied to enter into this contract. You should enjoy your cruise and perhaps next time you will consider yourself happier hoping that a last minute bargain crops up. The companies do not want to encourage that as it not in their interests, but that is the reality of the marketplace.

As others have pointed out already those sales asre for new bookings only, so no it´s not bad customer service and shouldn´t be taken anywhere IMHO.

But I don´t get the horrible reviews and disgusted part of your post:confused:

What am I missing:confused:

As others have pointed out already those sales asre for new bookings only, so no it´s not bad customer service and shouldn´t be taken anywhere IMHO.

But I don´t get the horrible reviews and disgusted part of your post:confused:

What am I missing:confused:

I don't get it either! She wants to cancel and rebook on a supposedly terrible ship? Or maybe because it was on sale and she read bad reviews she thinks she is entitled to the sale. OP please explain.

Count me among the lost and confused on this one too...

You booked a cruise on a ship with horrible reviews... Why did you book in the first place???

and now you want 50% off when the sale was clearly spelled out for new bookings only??? Why did you think you were entitled to that anyway???

There is no place to take this... you weren't treated badly, you were confused from the get-go...

Your logic is faulty.

Given the economy they should be bending over backwards? WHY? You called wanting to cruise! What makes you think they are hurting for customers? And even if they were, there is nothing a csr can do to get around rules attached to a sale of this nature.

I would be interested in how you got savings on existing bookings thru those other cruise lines when they had sales of this nature. Do they bend the 'new bookings only' rules for you?

...either that or she's seen the light and is hinding from embarrasement...:o

I don't think that she is a troll. She may not post much but her other posts have been what I would call normal. I think we have someone here who is not stopping to think this out and is letting her emotions get the best of her.

I don't think that she is a troll. She may not post much but her other posts have been what I would call normal. I think we have someone here who is not stopping to think this out and is letting her emotions get the best of her.

Point taken but she claims to have sailed before. I'm sure there were other instances of sales. I wonder how she handled those.

Splendor isn't a "horrible" ship! You really have to take all reviews with a grain of salt. What floats one person's boat, just doesn't do it for another! If you go on your cruise with a good attitude, you'll have a great time.

Take a deep breath, start your packing list, and relax! Your vacation will be a great one!

I am not embaressed at all about my posting. RCCL has messed up everything with this trip. I do understand that the sale was only for new bookings, but just like any store price adjustments can be made. The cabin was in the same catagory. This was the first sale on our date. I do understand that a cruise line wants to fill up their cabins. Just like an airline you can cancel and rebbok with a penalty. RCCL however, had a 50% penalty. I do know that sometimes last minute travelers can get a bargain. RCCL also did not honor our dining request on this upcoming cruise. The answer we were given was we had to take care of this on our first day. We booked this trip 8 months ago, and I don't see why they could honor our request. Our confiramtion shows what we asked for, but our tickets are different. I just feel that RCCL could have changed that ahead of time, so we did not have to spend our first day delaing with this matter. As for the bad reviews they are on the CC website under member reviews. The latest was posted today.

So where exactly was the poor service? You were happy with the price when you booked (otherwise, you wouldn't have booked). Then you changed your mind, and now consider that they cannot accommodate you changing your mind, is somehow poor service on their part?

Our confiramtion shows what we asked for, but our tickets are different. I just feel that RCCL could have changed that ahead of time, so we did not have to spend our first day delaing with this matter. As for the bad reviews they are on the CC website under member reviews. The latest was posted today.

Five out of the last six member reviews gave Splendour at least four stars (including one five star review and another five plus star review); not too shabby if you ask me.

Not receiving your desired dining time generally can be rectified in a manner of minutes, so it is unlikely to put a dent into your first day. Soon after boarding the ship just head to the main restaurant and ask to see the maitre' d.

As many have pointed out Royal Caribbean's rule is that they do not allow people already booked to receive refunds when their one day specials are for lower fares. Most people see this as a very reasonable policy and are happy that Royal actually allows price drops for fare decreases other than one day specials. Many plane tickets are not refundable and often the fee for making a change approached 50% of the original fare.

To the OP,

Don't let others' reviews influence you. Everyone see things differently. I was on the Splendour of the Seas last year March 2007 and had a delightful cruise. I was sorry to see the ship leave Galveston as I hoped to cruise on it again.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise vacation and come back to tell us it was all you hoped it would be.

Annieeee

Archived