Is this dress O.K.? maybe too prom

k.hill

O.K. I'm a very thin 40 yr old (can pass for 30 or less if they don't notice the eye wrinkles). I can't wear alot of the evening dresses that they sell in my town - rarely do they have my size and especially not when they are FINALLY marked down. I found this dress for sale for $15.00, fits like a glove - http://www.blondienites.com/blondienites/viewDetail.asp?ID=120&view=2 It's a little longer on me...not so much leg when you actually stand up straight.....but....

but now that I have it home I'm afraid that it's too young for me. You know...too much party/prom...not enough elegance/cruise. Please let me know - I appreciate the truth as it was not a big loss if it's a no, and I cruise a lot and have others - I'm not desperate...I may just be going a little to promy/prom-ish for my cruise, but I love the way it fits and the cost.

Thanks in advance for honest opionions!!

Karla

Honey if it fits like a glove and you got that profile go for it.

You can't imagine what more silly things I've seen on my cruises.

Nothing better then fit, showing it and wrinkles too. Wrinkles are a sign that you've living a full life and laughing your way thru it!

You'd be a MILF :D

I agree with most of the others. It looks like a $15 dress.

That is because it'll look like 15 bucks on you. :eek:

On the right person it matters not whether a dress cost 15 bucks or 1500 bucks it'll look fabulous

I'm not sure the poster who made the "$15" comment was being rude. The OP is the one that said she only paid $15 for it. The person that replied and said it looked like a $15 dress was most likely referring back to that comment by the Op. Postings like this are one dimensional and do not project intent or emotion. Sometimes what is an innocent comment comes off sounding totally different or people take it the wrong way. We all need to try and remember that before lambasting anyone.

I don't think anyone was trying to be rude, just honest.

I would agree that if some posted pictures of their cruise and they wore this dress, it would be rude to make a comment about it. Saying "Look at our cruise photo's" and then others making negative comments about attire would be out of place and unacceptable, but asking an opinion about a dress for a future event, is very differnt IMHO.

In this case, the OP told us that the dress cost $15. and went on to share her concerns that it might look too young, prom-ish and not elegant. Her words.

She told us the price, told us her concerns and then asked our opinions. Just to tell her something like "I don't like it", isn't enough, it merits reasons, which we gave her.

She now knows what the majority think - which probably mirrors what other passengers will think - so she can now make her own decision.

I think the point someone made about the dress "looking like a 15.00 dress" was referring more to perhaps the quality of how the dress was made. You can buy a dress for 15.00 at "Dots" or some other low end store and it will look like a 15.00 dress because the material isn't good, and it's not sewn well so it "hangs" the way it should on you. You could buy the same dress at Nordstroms or Saks made in better material and sewn well and you'll see a difference. Same thing with Designer knockoff bags..you can tell it's a knockoff and you didnt' pay much for it.

I dont think anyone was inferring the gal was going to look like she was a cheapskate because she only paid 15.00 for the dress.

I think the point someone made about the dress "looking like a 15.00 dress" was referring more to perhaps the quality of how the dress was made. You can buy a dress for 15.00 at "Dots" or some other low end store and it will look like a 15.00 dress because the material isn't good, and it's not sewn well so it "hangs" the way it should on you. You could buy the same dress at Nordstroms or Saks made in better material and sewn well and you'll see a difference. Same thing with Designer knockoff bags..you can tell it's a knockoff and you didnt' pay much for it.

I dont think anyone was inferring the gal was going to look like she was a cheapskate because she only paid 15.00 for the dress.

What some are not taking into consideration is the OP paid $15 for the dress on sale, who knows what the full price was. I got a $178 for $13. Are people just looking at a low number and automatically thinking it must be a cheap dress?

Someone could look at this dress and think deep down that it is ugly but since it's Christain Dior$$$$$$ say it's fabulous.;)

10.jpg

What some are not taking into consideration is the OP paid $15 for the dress on sale, who knows what the full price was. I got a $178 for $13. Are people just looking at a low number and automatically thinking it must be a cheap dress?

Someone could look at this dress and think deep down that it is ugly but since it's Christain Dior$$$$$$ say it's fabulous.;)

10.jpg

Very good point...and....WHOA! That IS one ugly dress! :eek:

2280728160036355651S600x600Q85.jpg

I pulled this photo from the "other" thread so people can see for themselves what Karla looks like wearing the dress.

In my opinion, Karla, you look AWESOME! You have a terrific shape for this dress! But....I do agree that the dress is "costumey" and not what one expects to see on a cruise. Does that mean you shouldn't wear it? That is not for us to decide! Only you know the answer to that! Do you enjoy wearing the dress and feel comfortable in it? If you don't mind having attention drawn to you, then you will be fine. All eyes WILL be on you. Many of them will be thinking..."darn, she looks great...I wish I had the nerve to wear something like that" ;) Good luck deciding! :D

Yes, I hear what you're saying! I've dropped tons of money at U. of D. myself! I think they will soon name a building after me! ;)

Go HENS!

We're talkin' out of state fees here.:p

Poor Karla, she's gotten so many differing opinions and some not nice. Probably the worst thing was saying how much it cost as people seemed to get caught up on that alone.

If she wears the dress, I hope she's not afraid to come back and tell. Anyone who thought she has a tummy needs to look at that side view...wow!

OK everyone, this was a "quickie" but you can get the idea. It takes away some of the costumy look that many objected to. Any good seamtress could do this with no problem.

Karla

Sorry about the one leg, I'm sure both of your legs look good.;)

2280728160036355651S600x600Q85.jpg

Had to jump in on this one. Seeing the first picture with the model, I did think it was a bit short and promy looking. But seeing the actual dress on, I think it looks great - its longer in real life. I wouldn't think anything of seeing this on a cruise - except I wish I had the body to wear something like that that. :) Plus the fact that it was $15? Bonus!

That dress is great for a cruise! It's definitely a "fun" formal (vs. something you might wear to a corporate black tie event), and I think that with a great pair of dangle earrings and sexy shoes you will look teriffic. You can cut down on the "Carmen Miranda factor" by not wearing your hair in a high up-do, and not loading on the makeup.

Our local stores think that petite means old.

Been THERE! :p Ever try looking for a petite mother of the bride/groom dress? Look out, Golden Girls and Maude!

OP - I think the dress looks better on you than the model. Fun, flirty...good cruise formal.

I don't think so. Too many here rave about their bargains for that to be an issue.

Yes, the OP has a lovely figure and should certainly dress to show it off. But no matter what the price tag was, it's not a great choice for the reasons I and many others already listed. If the OP wants to ignore the opinions that's her privledge.

I love Barrie Pace too. Unfortunately, even on sale they are $$$ *smile*...but they have the prettiest dresses I've ever seen!

The blue mambo dress just looks cheap to me. Design and fabric. Sorry, I don't know how to say it any nicer.

Jane

Archived