Is this dress O.K.? maybe too prom

k.hill

O.K. I'm a very thin 40 yr old (can pass for 30 or less if they don't notice the eye wrinkles). I can't wear alot of the evening dresses that they sell in my town - rarely do they have my size and especially not when they are FINALLY marked down. I found this dress for sale for $15.00, fits like a glove - http://www.blondienites.com/blondienites/viewDetail.asp?ID=120&view=2 It's a little longer on me...not so much leg when you actually stand up straight.....but....

but now that I have it home I'm afraid that it's too young for me. You know...too much party/prom...not enough elegance/cruise. Please let me know - I appreciate the truth as it was not a big loss if it's a no, and I cruise a lot and have others - I'm not desperate...I may just be going a little to promy/prom-ish for my cruise, but I love the way it fits and the cost.

Thanks in advance for honest opionions!!

Karla

Wow love the dress color is awesome, If you are happy go for it. I bought a gorgeous halter neck i too thought maybe it would be to young for me I'm 54, Everyone i showed it to love it. and its sliming too.

This is the kind of dress you have to have no fears to wear *wink*. The big question is, can you put on this dress and walk into the dining room and not feel conspicuous? If you are on the fence about it, keep looking. There are lots of very lovely dresses that can flatter you that perhaps are a little less "flashy". The other post about it being a great dress for a mambo was right on! *lol* Just a personal opinion!

In my opinion it is to young. My DD and her friends wear dresses like this for dances at school. As tempting as it is to buy those cheap dresses I would rather not dress like my teenage DD. I wear petite size so I know how hard it is to find stylish clothes. Our local stores think that petite means old.

Kelly

I don't care for it. I understand the "ohmigoodness something FINALLY fits" mindset (I have difficulty buying things that fit), but personally I've made some "inappropriate" purchases simply because they fit, and then not EVER worn them. You sound as though you're doubting the choice -- you'll not be happy wearing it, I suspect.

I am 43-years-old, so not much older, but I don't think I would wear it. I have two boys, 21 and 16, and I can hear the comments they would be making if I were to wear something like that, just a little too young, not that we are older, but elegant is what I look at now. Love the color though.

I think it could work for you if you are comfortable in it, especially since you said you look 30.

I love the color. I don't think I would be too surprised to see someone wearing something like this on a cruise.

It's more of a "fun-formal". :)

Without looking at anyone else's replies, I would say if you have the figure for it, go for it. I don't think it looks too promish. You sound like me. I have a question about a dress on this thread also.

Usually I would say to each his own and forget it. In this case I think the fact that you asked means you have doubts about your choice. I don't think it looks too prom-like as much as I think it looks too costume-like. The Carmen Miranda ruffles are just a bit too much. I'm glad that you didn't spend much on it because I think you should go with your gut instinct and leave it at home. I suspect you have way more class than the dress does. Have a wonderful cruise no matter what you decide.

Kristy

Guest carlogesualdo

I bet you could have a simple, elegant black dress made by a local seamstress without spending scads of money and you'd probably feel far more fabulous in it than you would in something you were afraid looked like a prom dress. And best of all: guaranteed to fit!

:) IMO you're always better to err on the side of classic - simplicity - same color in a poly-knit - high slit on one side- the fabric and ruffles are too much - if you sew it can be made very inexpensivley - we want you to knock them dead !!! Cruise on---

O.K. I'm a very thin 40 yr old (can pass for 30 or less if they don't notice the eye wrinkles). I can't wear alot of the evening dresses that they sell in my town - rarely do they have my size and especially not when they are FINALLY marked down. I found this dress for sale for $15.00, fits like a glove - http://www.blondienites.com/blondienites/viewDetail.asp?ID=120&view=2 It's a little longer on me...not so much leg when you actually stand up straight.....but....

but now that I have it home I'm afraid that it's too young for me. You know...too much party/prom...not enough elegance/cruise. Please let me know - I appreciate the truth as it was not a big loss if it's a no, and I cruise a lot and have others - I'm not desperate...I may just be going a little to promy/prom-ish for my cruise, but I love the way it fits and the cost.

Karla

I like the other dress better. That split is so high up. It looks more like a party dress than elegant.

If that dress fit me, I would not be concerned about how young it looked.

BUT, I would not be comfortable wearing to a formal. It just doesn't seem dressy enough to go with a man's business suit or a tux.

It might be fun to wear on an informal night - or whatever they call the in-between nights that aren't formal or casual. It means finding another formal, but this way you still get to have fun in your perfectly sized and priced dress.

You asked for honest opinions, so I'm giving mine. That dress puts the "tack" in tacky, unless you plan on taking the stage and doing a flamenco dance after dinner, there is is no excuse for wearing that creation. Every good designer has dresses in size 0's or 2's. As for the "prom" idea, I showed it to my 17 yo DD, she says if anyone showed up at school dances wearing that thing, they'd be laughed out the door.

I think you're focused on the wrong aspect..

It's not about whether it's too young or about your figure. If you've got a great figure, by all means, show it off.

However, I agree with many here. It's costume-y, and very cheap looking and it doesn't matter whether the wearer is 18 or 48, it's not a nice looking dress. If it can't be returned, use it for a halloween party and go as a flaminco dancer.

Show off your figure with style and class, not this frock.

No, no, no....you might end up resmebling Lola from the "Copacabana" song.

Please wear something more flattering.

Karla

If it was me, the origianal poster, I would be hurt by some of these comments.

It is fine to say that you do not like the dress, and we should all post our honest opinions. But it is not fine to post crude and descriptive comments... A simple do not like and why would do... Leaving off the "it looks like a $15.00 dollar dress, and the like would really be much more cordial.

I love this fashion thread and so much hate it when I see comments that serve no useful purpose.

Archived