Best Beaches in Southern Caribbean

LUVCROOZERS

My wife and I are going on The CB (first time on Princess) to the Southern Caribbean in 4/09 and would like some info on the best beaches in St. Lucia, Antigua and Tortola BVI. We are total beach lovers!! We've done Barbados and St.Thomas on prior cruises and love those beaches. Thanks for all your help.

Rich

The Baths at Virgin Gorda is one of the "can't miss" stops in the Southern Caribbean. Highly Recommended. I might suggest that you avoid a ship-excursion as the crowding will definitely affect your enjoyment. Do a little research on the local ferry services (Speedy's) and you should be able to make it work on your own.

Thanks for all the info. We're looking forward to our first Princess experience!!:)

Rich

Azamara Journey 7/07

Carnival Valor 7/05

Celebrity Zenith 5/04

Celebrity Zenith 5/02

Carnival Destiny 6/01

Carnival Destiny 8/97

Carnival Sensation

St. Lucia - this is a fascinating, gorgeous, third world isle that really deserves a road trip with a guide (or a cab hired min.) I recommend Harod Stanislas (google him).

Reduit is a very good classic white sand beach near Castries. But you miss the views of the mountains in the south of the island. Anse Chastenet is famous for adjacent diving snorkling and is in the south. For a truly unique beach, Anse des Piton at the Jalousie resort near Soufriere in the south. It is located right between the Pitons (I mean one of the Pitons rises like a cliff right out of the beach front. The drive there (probably 60 minutes) will tke you through villages and Soufriere. Hit that beach and you've really seen the highlights of the island geographically. The resort is pretty nice too.

Tortola - I've not been to Cane Garden but it looks fine and is the easiest to get to. The Baths on Virgin Gorda though are a must do in most travel publications for good reason - totally unique, and fun. The Soggy Dollar Bar-Restaurant Bar on Jost Van Dyke deserves honorable mention as does Norman Island. In sum, Cane Garden for ease, the Baths for memories. Do a private boat to the Baths and get there prior to the ship horde.

Antigua - has a zillion little and big beaches (or exactly 365 is you believe the tourist bureau) Dickinson is the easiest and most hotel developed. Galley Bay is where the big money lives. If it were me, I'd rent a car and visit Nelson's Dockyard on the south coast, have lunch on Shirley Heights (gorgeous view), then beach the afternoon returning via the east Half Moon Bay or the west Darkwood Beach. Half Moon is very quiet and uniquely pretty. For a true Beach Nut with a car you can beach hop Antigua. For all things Antigua check out (good map),

http://www.antiguanice.com

Have a great cruise!

Archived