Tux Rental aboard ship

habari

Hi all - we are going on the Caribbean Princess August 15th and I was wondering if anyone out there has rented a tux on the ship. My husband does not own a suit ( only a sports jacket) and I saw you could rent a tux on board. Anyone with experience in this???? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Just go to http://www.cruiselineformal.com and click on products, then Princess, then gentlemen. You can easily order the tux and shoes. Easy way to do it.:) :) It can't get any easier than that! No packing good black shoes, a suit, shirt, or tie.

If money is why he does not own a suit, it might be more economical to buy something to take along. Then he would have it for a future time. If it is convenience you are looking for, then renting is the way to go.

Janet

I own a suit, but a few cruises ago I rented a tux and have continued to do so. It's easier than bringing my suit and now with many airlines charging per luggage piece it makes sense to me. Lots of options(white or black jacket, different color vest and bow tie combos etc.) on the web site listed in the previous post.

I used http://cruiselineformal.com on a past cruise and experienced no trouble at all. Everything was in my stateroom when we arrived on the ship. On my last cruise, I bought a tux prior to leaving home. However with the hassle of the airlines and baggage, I might go back to a rental for my upcoming T/A on the Emerald princess...

Bob

Future: Diamond Princess Aus/Nz 01/09

Future: Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Constellation Europe 07/06

Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

My DH has rented twice. He's waited both times until he's on board to rent and had no problem. The first time he had packed his tux shirts, jewelry and shoes but forgot his tux :rolleyes:. He found it so convenient to rent, he decided to do the same on our last cruise. I'm not sure I would recommend waiting until you are on board like he did because they may not have your size. If your not sure of the size, just go to a tux rental place and they will usually take your measurements for free. I think Men's Warehouse still does that.

My husband rented one on our Diamond Alaska cruise last month. He said it was so easy that he'll never carry a tux or suit again--and he wears a large size. The tux was too big because he didn't go to a tux shop to be measured, but they had more stock on board and were able to exchange it easily. He was very pleased with the whole procedure.

I own my tux as I am a large man size 54 with a 19" neck so I worry about sizes. That said, I know lots of men who do rent aboard ship and they have been very pleased with them and frankly no one know that they are rented.

My DH ordered a size 54 with a 19 neck, and the jacket was too big. They had a 52 on board so he was able to switch without a problem. He, too, was nervous about ordering a big size, but it worked out fine. It sure beats having to pack the tux and all of the things that go with it. For our TA cruise, we're spending extra time in N. Italy so we're trying to keep the amount of luggage limited so a rental will be a big help.

Hi

My DH didn't want to pack a suit, so pre-ordered a tux. Great investment. As long as you have current measurements, you'll be fine. Three recommendations ...

1. Try it on on as soon as you get to your room .. if the sizing isn't right, your purser will be able to assist.

2. Don't order a size larger in the pants because you think you'll be putting on weight between now and then. Tux pants are very adustable and the rental company will always err on the "plus" side.

3. The shoes may not be a perfect fit. Bring a pair or two of dress socks in black, and ditto in heavier sports socks. (In black, not white!) Just incase the shoes are too big (our experience)

Have a great trip.

I've also rented from cruiseline formalwear and have been quite pleased with the results. I have a number of dark suits, but it's so much easier to pay the niminal (in my opinion) fee and not have to even think about packing a suit, especially in view of new luggage restrictions. Renting the tux means I can dress up for formal nights (which I enjoy doing) without packing the bulk of a suit or two (and DW thus has more room for her finery).

However, I always bring my own dress shoes (which I have professionally polished - Nordstrom does a great job - before the cruise). I'm just more comfortable in my own shoes and I can wear them on smart casual nights, too.

We're planning on doing our Mexican Riviera cruise with one 26" suitcase, one rolling garment bag and 2 small rollabouts. That's one suitcase and one carry-on for each of us. No extra luggage charge based on when we booked. Wish us luck. We just did a week in Boston with that luggage (and I brought 2 suits for that trip), so I think we'll be fine.

I rented on our last 15 day cruise and it was much easier than hauling everything to and from the ship. The nice thing is everything will be in your closet when you get on the ship (or shortly after) and you just leave it there when you depart.

• 1 month later...
Just to add an additional question...when you rent a tux you would wear it for both (or more) formal nights Im assuming, so will they repress it for you before you have to wear it the second time?

No repress, but you get two shirts. :)

Janet

Hi all - we are going on the Caribbean Princess August 15th and I was wondering if anyone out there has rented a tux on the ship. My husband does not own a suit ( only a sports jacket) and I saw you could rent a tux on board. Anyone with experience in this???? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Honestly, don't bother.

Just a nice suit will do.

Only a handful of men wear tuxs.

Most wear suits.

About 50% passengers dress up and those who do quickly change after dinner.

i bought my tux and have more than got my money's worth out of it,and it seems easier to do tux than a suit,the wifes love to see us in our tuxes,so it is worth it,it makes them happy and smile, but the rental is more convient,have a good cruise:)):D

Archived