Caribbean Princess Engine Problems

David21

Come on guys, we were on the June 22nd cruise WITH all of the problems, and yet we all keep telling you inspite of all, it was STILL a wonderful cruise!

Gosh Anne, did you break the ship before I had a chance to sail on her? :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Shhhhhhhh...I just wanted to see what would happen when I flipped the GREEN & BLUE switch at the same time :p :rolleyes: :p

Anne - who promises to stay out of the engine room next time :o

Gosh Anne, did you break the ship before I had a chance to sail on her? :rolleyes: :D

thinking about the 2/1/09 cruise, don't want to plan to take that cruise if there is a good possibility of it being in drydock. I've been on only 1 cruise and that happened to me last time. I found out here and had to rebook quickly!!

I am very confused about all this talk of slow cruising speed. True, with one engine down the CB can't go at its maximum speed (24 knots), but I just checked my "log of the cruise" from CB in 2004 and these were the speeds..

From Fort Lauderdale to St Thomas (2 sea days) average speed 16.38 knots; St. Thomas to St Maarten average 9.69 knots; St Marteen to Princess Cays (1 sea day) 21.0 knots; Princess Cays to Fort Lauderdale 21.0 knots. So I guess we would only notice the slower speeds on the sea days and think positive --- it won't be as windy if the ship is going slower.

I can't see that this will make my cruise any less enjoyable and I guess the Aug 15th port schedule change isn't drastic.

I am very confused about all this talk of slow cruising speed. True, with one engine down the CB can't go at its maximum speed (24 knots), but I just checked my "log of the cruise" from CB in 2004 and these were the speeds..

From Fort Lauderdale to St Thomas (2 sea days) average speed 16.38 knots; St. Thomas to St Maarten average 9.69 knots; St Marteen to Princess Cays (1 sea day) 21.0 knots; Princess Cays to Fort Lauderdale 21.0 knots. So I guess we would only notice the slower speeds on the sea days and think positive --- it won't be as windy if the ship is going slower.

I can't see that this will make my cruise any less enjoyable and I guess the Aug 15th port schedule change isn't drastic.

Excellent points!

And just for the purpose of comparison, here are the figures from the Log of the 5/26 CB cruise this year:

NY to San Juan: 1st day avg speed of 22.2 knots; 2nd day 22.0 knots

San Juan to to St. Maarten: 16.5 knots

St. Maarten to St. Thomas: 9.8 knots

St. Thomas to Grand Turk: 20.6 knots

Grand Turk to NY: 1st day 21.7 knots; 2nd day 19.8 knots

Hopefully this will put to rest the idea that Princes has been "hiding" the engine problems for several cruises.

I would be interested in seeing the figures for the 6/22 sailing...

...... Looks like the high gas prices are really bringing out the conspiracy theories this time.

High gas prices??? Wait till you see how high gas goes when we invade Iraq and no oil comes from their fields for a few years.

Hey wait a second gas didn't go up till Iraq's output neared 100% output.... strange! CONSPIRACY!

Maybe Princess shut off an engine so all the other engines work harder and waste gas to keep gas high so Iraq can rebuild from oil profits since the World refuses to help them rebuild.

Starting Conspiracy theories is fun.

Alright here are the numbers from our sailing on 6/22 right from the 'Log of the Cruise':

NYC to Grand Turk - 19.3 knots avg

Grand Turk to San Juan - 18.3 knots avg

San Juan to St. Thomas - 13. 8 knots avg

St. Thomas to West End Bermuda - 19.9 knots avg

West End Bermuda to NYC - 19.9 knots avg

Excellent points!

Alright here are the numbers from our sailing on 6/22 right from the 'Log of the Cruise':

Wow so slow!!! :eek:

Excellent points!

And just for the purpose of comparison, here are the figures from the Log of the 5/26 CB cruise this year:

NY to San Juan: 1st day avg speed of 22.2 knots; 2nd day 22.0 knots

San Juan to to St. Maarten: 16.5 knots

St. Maarten to St. Thomas: 9.8 knots

St. Thomas to Grand Turk: 20.6 knots

Grand Turk to NY: 1st day 21.7 knots; 2nd day 19.8 knots

Hopefully this will put to rest the idea that Princes has been "hiding" the engine problems for several cruises.

Thanks Vacation Nut & cruisemom42 for posting the log.

It seems some just don't get it. :rolleyes:

Maybe if we put it in another way they will understand. Hopefully someone has an logical answer.

We all know a cruise line has a right to cancel a port or change itinerary, so on and so forth.

But does a cruise line have the right to charge a fuel surcharge and cruise at a slower speed (thus changing ports\times - without notifying passengers) just to save fuel?

If the ship sails slower to ports wouldn't that cost more in fuel than if they arrived on time, waiting at dock?

Just trying to find some answers here.

So, please don't beat on us.

We do have something in common.

We love Princess!!! Let's hear a cheer!!!! ;)...:D

With all due respect how could you have any idea what the "crew members were wondering"?

I was just on the June 22nd sailing and felt absolutely no vibrations whatsoever. I was all over that ship and nothing felt out of the ordinary. The AC was fine everything was perfect. We had rough seas and that is why the ship was moving.

Some people on this board are making all kinds of speculations about this ship and are probably making future cruisers on this ship nervous.

Like I said...I was on that sailing and felt nothing out of the ordinary. We had some rough seas but that was the extent of it. It was a great cruise on a great ship. The staff was outstanding, the food was great and the entertainment was the best I've had at sea. All of you who are going to sail on her are going to have a great time. Embarking out of Brooklyn is blazing fast. We got there at 12:45pm and were in our rooms before 1pm.

Had a drink and had a great time.

I have no reason to embellish what I experienced. If your sailing was fine in June that's great. I'm telling you of my experience in May.

As far as how I knew what the crew was thinking. Well, first off, I have a very uncanny ability of being able to read people. Putting that aside, a waiter running to the window in the dining room and looking out aft might give me a clue that this was out of the ordinary. Also being in Club Fusion and watching glances between the cruise director's staff and then having them crack a joke about it when other passengers are commenting is also a clue to this was out of the ordinary. I'm not trying to be a snide to you but I'm not one on these boards to post and complain. I'm very easy going and my cruises have all been a wonderful experience for us despite things that others would say ruined their cruise. We just aren't like that.

What ever happened in May could of been repaired and the CB is having some other problems. I'm not a mechanic nor do I play one on TV. :) I just know what I felt and having sailed twice before on the same ship in the aft (E731 both sailings) I know what I felt was different.

Many of the posters have said that the reduced times in ports does not bother them ("Hey, you are on a cruise vacation").

Count me in the bothered category. I select a cruise because of the itinerary, most often to visit places I have never been before.

Yes, I have experienced the occasional missed port for various reasons. But, if every port time was reduced between final payment and the ship's sailing, I would feel that what I was sold was not what was being delivered.

Many of the posters have said that the reduced times in ports does not bother them ("Hey, you are on a cruise vacation").

Count me in the bothered category. I select a cruise because of the itinerary, most often to visit places I have never been before.

Yes, I have experienced the occasional missed port for various reasons. But, if every port time was reduced between final payment and the ship's sailing, I would feel that what I was sold was not what was being delivered.

Caribill,

We too book trips based upon the itinerary, and not really based upon the ship. If the trip looks good, we'll do it, even if we've been on that ship several times.

Of course I'm annoyed by the situation. Though not sure there is necessarily any one person to "blame" here. Am I annoyed that the times in port changed, and changed for the worse (less time) ? Absolutely.

Clearly Princess is acknowledging some issues (whether that be mechanism, port issues or whatever), and they're trying to get the word out that itineraries are changing. One group of people got no notice (found out as they sailed), my cruise got word on 7/4 for a 7/10 departure. At least future cruises are being notified upfront that there are changes, so that you can attempt to plan a bit for it. (altho obviously not much anyone can really do about it)

Am I annoyed that we're dealing with a hurricane in the Atlantic the week that we're setting sail (7/10), and it's going to make it that much rougher (which my wife is going to hate), and that it calls into question what will be done with the Bermuda service (the biggest reason we booked this trip)? Absolutely, but we did book a cruise during hurricane season.

Am I annoyed that somewhere between 5/23 and 7/4, there were additional charges added to the account (AFTER final payment), to which they have just added as negative onboard credit? (they told me that the gov. port charges went up after final payment, and an additional $10.74 pp). Absolutely I'm annoyed (mostly because they didn't send any sort of notification, they just debited my onboard credits). I'm assuming this is across the board. I only found out because of the 7/4 port change notification that went out.

For me, the annoyance is a culmination of all of the above, and not any one thing.

Now, that said. Do I think that someone in Princess is doing all of this maliciously? No.

Am I going to enjoy the vacation anyways? Absolutely. My wife and I are completely burned out at work and we need time away desperately. So, as others have said, they are going to make the best of it and enjoy their vacations.

Assuming that there is a diesel generator / engine out of service on the ship, and that the only way to fix it once and for all is a drydock situation, would I have preferred that right now? The problem with doing an emergency drydock is that they would have cancelled my vacation trip and possible other departures as well, and while we run the risk of not going where I wanted (not from Princess, but instead from the hurricane), I'd still rather be on vacation than be sitting around here in NY.

Just by dropping speed can save a cruise ship 5% fuel costs.

(This is roughly) It could be more.

er, I think Colo Cruiser was being sarcastic. The speeds are not that much different and Princess has acknowledged a mechanical problem beginning with the 6/22 cruise. Why is it you are so insistent that this is a deliberate slowdown to save fuel??

Just for a comparison, here is the avg speed for the June 4th sailing.

NY to West End - 19.6 knts

West End to SJ - 21.3 knts

SJ to ST Thomas - 14.2 knts

ST Thomas - GT - 20.8 knts

GT to NYC - 20.2

There really isn't that much a difference when comapring these two sailings. I should also mention that wind speeds were 50 knots with moderate seas from NY to Bermuda on the June 4th sailing. I am sure the seas play a huge role in how slow or fast the ship will sail.

For example:

6/22 sailing reported rough seas from BD to NY and the ship sailed at 19.9 knts.

6/4 sailing seas were rough NY to BD and we sailed slightly slower (19.6 knts) then the 6/22 sailing.

It's all relative to the situation.

We loved our cruise onboard the CB and would not hesitate recommending this ship to anyone.

To all future cruisers - Just go and enjoy yourselves and leave the worrying up to Princess if there is any to be had. :)

er, I think Colo Cruiser was being sarcastic. The speeds are not that much different and Princess has acknowledged a mechanical problem beginning with the 6/22 cruise. Why is it you are so insistent that this is a deliberate slowdown to save fuel??

It is pretty much confirmed that the CB has a down generator. Confirmed where? Well the site people are now using as their basis for the FUEL SLOW DOWN, lists the CB as having a bad generator not a down engine.

Passengers noting there are AC problems especially the Theater, also note all the people that have said there are NO AC problems don't mention the Theater. Some note certain rooms have failing AC and the fuel conspiracy people are saying thats not true its people leaving their balcony doors open. I wasn't aware internal cabins had balcony doors to leave open, must be a new feature.

Also the fuel conspiracy people that are now pointing to the website showing several ships with slowdown issues, have ignored the ship that is canceling a cruise to go into dry dock to repair an engine.

but of course that is because that ship has decided to try a new Ultimate

fuel saving technique..... DRY DOCK!

I bet if gas hits $5 a gallon, more ships will try the DRY DOCK fuel saving option.

I think the Cruise lines should really look into that guy that flies his lawn chair via party balloons, if they lined all the outside decks with these party balloons that would make the ship lighter and save more fuel.

And or seal off 10% of the cabins and fill them with Helium.

I think the Cruise lines should really look into that guy that flies his lawn chair via party balloons, if they lined all the outside decks with these party balloons that would make the ship lighter and save more fuel.

Wind power for ships could be making a comeback to conserve fuel.

beluga-skysails-kites-002.jpg

SkySails system, a huge computer-controlled kite that can tow cargo vessels and super yachts, reducing their fuel consumption by up to 30%.

It makes sense environmentally and economically.

Just thought I would add the following:

This is from the log of the first cruse of the CB this year, May17 to May 26

New York to Grand Turk 19.7 Knots

Grand Turk to San Juan 21.2 Knots

San Juan to St. Thomas 7.9 Knots

St. Thomas to West End 21.5 Knots

West End to New York 18.9 Knots

Still not much of a difference!!!

Dom, I think some of the cabins are already full of hot air. ;) :p

Wind power for ships could be making a comeback to conserve fuel.

beluga-skysails-kites-002.jpg

SkySails system, a huge computer-controlled kite that can tow cargo vessels and super yachts, reducing their fuel consumption by up to 30%.

It makes sense environmentally and economically.

Plus, Princess can market it as onboard parasailing and charge us $35.00 for 20 minutes :D

Archived