a baby in the swimming pool?

Sure to set off a firestorm with this one...:)

We cruised HAL one time - and will again next year. Pool rules say no children in diapers. Does that include swim diapers?

Part of me thinks it can't be, since public pools don't even go so far to say that. Most simply require swim diapers (and go so far as to sell them if someone doesn't bring them with). But I didn't test the rule (we had swim diapers with us) because I didn't want to create a scene.

• Administrators
Sure to set off a firestorm with this one...:)

We cruised HAL one time - and will again next year. Pool rules say no children in diapers. Does that include swim diapers?

Part of me thinks it can't be, since public pools don't even go so far to say that. Most simply require swim diapers (and go so far as to sell them if someone doesn't bring them with). But I didn't test the rule (we had swim diapers with us) because I didn't want to create a scene.

It shouldn't cause a firestorm. No diapers are permitted in the pools onboard ship -- not swim diapers or regular ones (children's or adult's). The danger is e coli and it's very real. As I understand it, it's unlike a conventional public pool, because those are chemically treated/chlorinated. Perhaps others know more than me about the regulatory basis and can enlighten you, but the short answer is that swim diapers aren't permitted in shipboard pools (The only exception I'm aware of (and I don't believe it's offered on HAL) is those few ships with an infant splash fountain area, where the water is constantly running and draining and never has a chance to accumulate or pool).

The family board here at Cruise Critic discusses this from time to time, and many parents choose to bring a small blow up pool from home for a diapered baby. It will fit between 2 adult lounge chairs, and can be filled with a little water from the main pool for the baby to splash in, then drained into the poolside drains. Here's a link to that board if you haven't found it yet -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49 It's a great resource for those sailing with the little ones.

And, the rules (really common sense, do we really need a "rule"?) also apply to the hot tubs. Watched a father dip the kiddo in and out like a tea bag.

Ewwwww! No wonder I haven't been in a HAL pool or hot tub in years.

It shouldn't cause a firestorm. No diapers are permitted in the pools onboard ship -- not swim diapers or regular ones (children's or adult's). The danger is e coli and it's very real. As I understand it, it's unlike a conventional public pool, because those are chemically treated/chlorinated. Perhaps others know more than me about the regulatory basis and can enlighten you, but the short answer is that swim diapers aren't permitted in shipboard pools (The only exception I'm aware of (and I don't believe it's offered on HAL) is those few ships with an infant splash fountain area, where the water is constantly running and draining and never has a chance to accumulate or pool).

The family board here at Cruise Critic discusses this from time to time, and many parents choose to bring a small blow up pool from home for a diapered baby. It will fit between 2 adult lounge chairs, and can be filled with a little water from the main pool for the baby to splash in, then drained into the poolside drains. Here's a link to that board if you haven't found it yet -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49 It's a great resource for those sailing with the little ones.

Here in Utah they outlawed swim diapers as well even in public pools as it appears even chlorine couldn't keep up with the disease spreading.

Swim diapers are a way for diapers companies to sell more diapers.

Water is still flowing IN and OUT of the diaper and with it fecal matter.

Unless the diaper is skin tight and cutting off the circulation on your babies legs stuff is going to leak out.

Personally I never go into the ships pools or hot tubs. I have no clue who was there before me.

Our city has 6 or 7 community pools. They used to allow swim diapers, but too many parents would ignore the rule. When there was an "accident" the pool would have to be closed for a few days and some special treatment done, which was quite expensive. Repeated incidents and new state regulations led to a total ban that is diligently enforced by the lifeguards.

I have to agree with the entire thread. Those swim diapers are not great at holding anything in and when you take them off a child after swimming they are pretty full of water...So like others have said, everything else is already in the water.

We have been doing a lot of traveling in the past 3 years and I have definately seen an increase in the number of hotels and resorts in and around Europe that will not allow children to swim if wearing swim diapers.

Wendy:)

MichellP, May I correct you? The pools and hot tubs on ships are chemically and chlorinated treated, in fact they may be higher standard than local pools as they are covered in the USPH / VSP inspection.

I agree to the swim diapers being banned, in fact they are prohibited in the USPH rules. Good idea about the small blow up pool, I wonder if the ship could provide some? It may prevent some of the "fecal incidents" which close the pool. On one cruise the pool was closed for 2 days following a baby having an "accident" in the pool.

And, the rules (really common sense, do we really need a "rule"?) also apply to the hot tubs. Watched a father dip the kiddo in and out like a tea bag.

I saw a mother with her baby (wearing diapers) immersed in the hot tub for a long period of time. I was freaking out for that baby:eek: ! I don't have children but I do have common sense. Would staff say anything? Aside from the diaper issue I have my own issues with public pools & hot tubs-I've turned into a major germaphobe(despite high levels of chemicals).

I agree to the swim diapers being banned, in fact they are prohibited in the USPH rules. Good idea about the small blow up pool, I wonder if the ship could provide some? It may prevent some of the "fecal incidents" which close the pool. On one cruise the pool was closed for 2 days following a baby having an "accident" in the pool.

Let's hope the ships do not start providing special pools for toddlers. Just where would they be set up? Who would fill and then clean them? This is not a viable option.

We haven't used the pools or hot tubs for years on board. We also have never had the noro virus, could there be a connection? ;)

I have seen too many babies and toddlers in the pools both fore and aft and the hot tubs to get in them myself.

I never used the hot tubs much but after Legionaires Disease was traced to the hot tub on "X's" Horizon, years ago, I decided to never get in those tubs. Add to it the sanitary habits of some of our fellow cruisers and it's a definite 'No Way' for me.

I never used the hot tubs much but after Legionaires Disease was traced to the hot tub on "X's" Horizon, years ago, I decided to never get in those tubs. Add to it the sanitary habits of some of our fellow cruisers and it's a definite 'No Way' for me.

This is just a personal opinion, but ... to me, getting in a "public" hot tub is like sharing your bath water with a half dozen or so perfect strangers. I don't care for it. I did it at a physical therapy facility years ago when I was in recovery after my accident, but I didn't like it even then. I certainly won't get into a hot tub on the ship.

Blue skies ...

--rita

This is just a personal opinion, but ... to me, getting in a "public" hot tub is like sharing your bath water with a half dozen or so perfect strangers. I don't care for it. I did it at a physical therapy facility years ago when I was in recovery after my accident, but I didn't like it even then. I certainly won't get into a hot tub on the ship.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Do you swim in the ocean? It's amazing what fish do in the water... :D

We just got off the Westerdam yesterday with our 13 month old. I brought along a swim diaper that is actaully plastic pants covered by fabric with elestaic legs by Spedo. We took our daughter into the pool on Saturday afternoon and had no problems.... In fact, many comments by staff and patrons on how cute she was.... As for all the people who are againist swim diapers, do you think all those kids get out and use the bathroom, I guarntee over half of them pee in the pool............ And this shocks you!!!!

We just got off the Westerdam yesterday with our 13 month old. I brought along a swim diaper that is actaully plastic pants covered by fabric with elestaic legs by Spedo. We took our daughter into the pool on Saturday afternoon and had no problems.... In fact' date=' many comments by staff and patrons on how cute she was.... As for all the people who are againist swim diapers, do you think all those kids get out and use the bathroom, I guarntee over half of them pee in the pool............ And this shocks you!!!![/quote']

Fecal matter rather than pee is the real issue.

Generally, there are signs posted at the pools regarding diapers and non-potty trained individuals not being permitted in the pools.

Fecal matter rather than pee is the real issue.

Generally, there signs posted at the pools regarding diapers and non-potty trained individuals not being permitted in the pools.

yeah, but that assumes that people will follow the rules :rolleyes:

Archived