Excursion Question (with babies)

sherineloh

Hi,

I am new to cruising. I'd like to take a cruise in Europe (possible leaving from Rome). I assume that every other day or day at least we will arrive at a new port. I am not taking a cruise tour package. With that I assume that you can get excursion package options for each day on board. Can someone tell me how much I should expect to pay for a day excursion (Europe) per person and per child (infant and child above 2 years old)?

I guess excursions mainly includes bus tour to different tourist sites and some may include food right?

Also do you think it'd be difficult travelling with babies for excursions? I should think private excursions are much too expensive but if you have rough rates, that be good. Thanks.

Also do they bring you to a lot of 'arranged shopping' stops that are very touristy? Else what way would be best to travel on shore (with babies)?

You refer to an infant...How old would this child be? Cruise lines are requiring babies to be six months old the day of sailing. You might check the Special Interest Cruising board under Family cruising for more advice; also the Ports of Call section on Europe for tour ideas. Welcome to Cruising and Cruise Critic. EM

My infant would be about just under a year old at time of cruising. Is it safe to cruise (or rather a good choice to cruise/tour with an infant)? Thanks I will check on the Port of Call section under Europe. Wow I would one day love to go on the QE2 EM. Lucky you. Thanks.

Cruising in general can be a great way to vacation with young children if they tolerate changes well, travel well, and have the personalities to do so (and we never know in advance).

That being said, I wouldn't book a port intensive cruise like the Med with babies or small children unless you do independent tours in each port (they offer more flexibility - usually). The Caribbean is great for small children with excursions chosen with them in mind, but it's difficult to see Europe like you're paying and hoping to with very small children in tow. I think you may be disappointed for spending the money on the vacation and not seeing nearly what you expected you would. Now, if you go with that in mind, and see and do what you can with the children, more power to ya!

I would use the old Scouting motto, "Be prepared"

Be prepared to ensure that your child has all the food, diapers etc. that he or she will need for a full day on shore. Some of these Med tours can take up to 10 hours. I would NOT subject an infant to that. Plus Europe can be hot as Hades in the summer, even in areas not known for high temperatures. The buses can break down, there can be traffic jams. A hungry child is a desperately unhappy child, with an unhappy parent.

I would also recommend lowering your expectations. This is not going to be a vacation. Nor is it going to be ten days or two weeks of aimlessly wandering the cobblestoned streets. Your child needs a schedule, an adapted schedule yes, but a schedule nonetheless.

If your tour description says you will be stopping at a particular store, don't book that excursion. It's a tourist trap. If your tour description says you will be allowed time for shopping, great! You can then plan to take that time to rest comfortably (preferably indoors) with the infant.

I'm trying not to be rude (I don't have children myself) but I think travelling with an infant requires a degree of selflessness that I, frankly, don't have in me. The infant's needs come first, as you know. If that means forgoing the more "exotic" destinations for a while, that's the trade-off. Only you can know what's right for your baby and what's right for you.

Archived