Spirit Airlines - Need Opinion

Solara

We were scheduled on United to Ft. Lauderdale. Since the flights are cancelled need some opinions.

Would you fly into Miami on United or rebook on Spirit Airlines directly to Ft. Lauderdale? Cost would be about the same.

Have never flown on Spirit before and they don't have any partner agreements with other airlines. Either of these would be my only options without paying alot more.

We were scheduled on United to Ft. Lauderdale. Since the flights are cancelled need some opinions.

Would you fly into Miami on United or rebook on Spirit Airlines directly to Ft. Lauderdale? Cost would be about the same.

Have never flown on Spirit before and they don't have any partner agreements with other airlines. Either of these would be my only options without paying alot more.

Personally, I would book into MIA ... because (1) from my home airport, Spirit has very limited lift, and (2) if there's a problem, Spirit will not endorse you over to another carrier, and the next available Spirit seat could be days away.

we flew Spirit a few years ago from ORD to FLL--no problems--they were comparable to SW, AirTran, etc. This was before they started charging for all luggage, aisle & window seats, etc. But, that seems to be the way that they're all going. :( We booked our Jan AA flight to FLL just before the charges for the 1st bag went into effect.

Good luck! We're thinking that after this trip we'll be making the 3000 mile r/t by car.....

I have flown Spirit several times, but I would not use them for a cruise unless I was arriving a day ahead. They seem to be delayed more than other airlines. I have always been able to fly with them, but often at least one of the legs were delayed. Other than the delays the airline was very nice.

Thanks all for replying. I'm still undecided.

Camp637 & Desdemona01, I have the same home airport as both of you. I'm worried about cancellations and no partner airline to fly with. We are going a few days early but if there is a problem you never know when you can get out. I tried looking at booking two one ways, but the price just isn't there any more. I won't do connecting flights either. I still would rather fly into FLL than MIA.

We also have tossed aroung the possibility of driving but it just is to far.

Hopefully by tomorrow I'll come up with a solution to something that I thought was taken care of a long, long time ago.

Archived