Sea Sickness Window or Inside?

Pwhbear

I tried searching the forum with no luck so forgive me if this is a repeat of the same question.

I've cruised before and finally talked my husband into cruising and I'm trying to decide which type of room would be better for him. He gets motion sick in the worst way, cars, planes, and lake boats. I have finally got him to try dramamine and he was able to ride amusement park rides with that.

My question is, would it be better for the motion sickness to have a window or not? I know the room should be mid ship and mid deck but not sure about the window.

Oh and we are planning on sailing the Carnival Splendor which looked plenty big enough :)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Motion sickness is terrible. I speak from experience. I've found that being able to see what's going on is best. However, I think being outside in the air is better than being in the cabin.

As you indicate, the cabins with the least motion are at the ship's center of gravity. At the waterline and in the middle of the ship.

As far as Dramamine goes, it was never effective for me. However, I do find a couple of things that are helpful. Seabands, for one. The are cheap (less than $10) wrist bands that put pressure on a nerve in the wrist. It's a form of accupressure. You just have to be careful that you get them on correctly.

The most effective thing I've found to combat motion sickness is the prescription patch. Just put a patch behind your ear the day before the cruise embarks and replace periodically. I have never noticed any side effects (and I have participated in drinking alcoholic beverages) while wearing the patch.

Good luck!

Some say looking out the window helps them feel better. I think its invidivual and somewhat in your head and somewhat the ship and weather. Keep positive and we also took preventives, we had the patch with us and used it on the first cruise and worked pretty well for us. We have also used dramine and such, you have to take it more often, but it worked too. Would we have been equally ok without the meds?? Now there is a question.

My DH will be taking his first cruise in Sept. with me. I took my first cruise in Oct. of 2006. He has finally decided he wants to try a cruise - I personally don't think he'll do well at all but he has talked with his Doctor and has a "script" for the patch and some phenergan for nausea just in case he gets sick. He gets extremely motion sick - if his bath water moves too much he gets nauseated - upon the advice of the Doctor, we booked a balcony room so that he can get plenty of fresh air. Our cabin is also located on Deck 7 in the middle of the ship - his Doctor also told him NOT to sail on anything less than 100,000 Tons. Therefore, we selected the Carnival Liberty.

Simply looking out a window of a cabin actually made me worse. By being "low" on the ship, I could see the movement of the waves more.

I prefer inside, lower, midship.

I switched from Dramamine to less-drowsy Bonine and added ginger capsules. Check the "main" board for threads on sea sickness remedies and how to take the ginger.

I had ZERO problems on my last two cruises. I cannot tell you have pleased that makes me.

Before I changed my meds, I would spend as much time up on deck as possible.

IF you can afford it, a balcony on the lowest level available, midship may be the best option, as he would be able to go out and get fresh air at any time. I spend next to no time in the cabin other than sleeping, showering and dressing, and can't justify the cost of a balcony unless I'm going to have more than 2 days at sea. There was noticeably more side-to-side movement when we had our balcony on Miracle (Deck 7). I really prefer Decks 2 or 3.

Thanks for all of the advice!

I think we are going to go for an inside, lower level, mid ship. I can't justify paying so much more for a balcony or window when all I did in the room last time was shower and sleep. And if we are only in the room at dark, he won't be able to see the outside anyways. I truly think he will be ok as long as he doesn't get too hot because it seems that makes it much worse. And we will be praying for calm waters :)

I think we'll also talk to the Dr about the patches and will purchase some ginger just in case.

I considered the patch, but I'd read about the side effects and didn't like the sound of it.

Plus, I have a few alcoholic beverages (not dozens, but a couple of drinks a day) and was worried about the drug interaction.

One of our tablemates on Miracle missed two evenings at dinner because the patch knocked him out.

Seriously, do some reading about ginger. I've suffered from motion sickness my entire life and felt absolutely nothing on the two cruises since I started taking it (and the seas weren't flat, either). I mean, not even the slightest hint of a problem. For me, that's a near miracle!

Good luck! Hope it all goes well and he'll want to cruise several times a year! :D

I considered the patch, but I'd read about the side effects and didn't like the sound of it.

Plus, I have a few alcoholic beverages (not dozens, but a couple of drinks a day) and was worried about the drug interaction.

One of our tablemates on Miracle missed two evenings at dinner because the patch knocked him out.

Seriously, do some reading about ginger. I've suffered from motion sickness my entire life and felt absolutely nothing on the two cruises since I started taking it (and the seas weren't flat, either). I mean, not even the slightest hint of a problem. For me, that's a near miracle!

Good luck! Hope it all goes well and he'll want to cruise several times a year! :D

Archived