Islip to Brooklyn Pier

We live in Islip-- the limos will take you to Red Hook (did that for QM2) & also to Manhattan pier (did that for Connie)

But seems they don't do Bayonne--We won't be doing a train & "shlepping"--so will probably drive or cancel the cruise-- It may well be easier to fly from Islip to FLL & take a cab to the port

Are there any cruise line busses anymore from LI?

Why won't they take you to Bayonne? With this economy you would think they would want the business. It might cost you, but I am sure you can get a limo to Bayonne. A limo will take you to AC and that is farther away than Bayonne.

Because I have free Southwest Airline Tickets, I must fly into ISLIP. We are flying in from El Paso, TX. We have booked a New England/ Canada cruise that leaves out of Brooklyn. Is it possible to take the LIRR to Manhatten and then a car service to the pier. In checking with car services from the airport to the pier, it appears to be quite expensive. I have done some research and there seems to be mixed reviews on whether this is a doable option. We have plenty of time to get to the pier as we are flying in the day before. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

We are from Kansas and we are doing the same trip as you - we do visit NYC at least once a year and we always fly into Islip and train into the city, we have never had any issues, once you get your bag walk out of baggage claim area and go left, you will see a sign that says shuttle to train - it is less than 10 mins to the train station. Buy a ticket at the machine before you board and in a little over an hour you are in the city! Easy as that! This time we are staying in Brooklyn before the cruise so we are going to change trains in Jamaica for a brooklyn train. The hotel said that a taxi to the pier in the morning should be about $10 - I am cheap, I would never spend $100 on a car service, and that price is only one way! The train is easy it stops every hour at 11 mins after the hour (you will be boarding at the Ronkonoma station), and if you miss the train while you wait for the next one there is a great little pizza shop to sit in and have a bite while you wait for the next train.

If you go to the NYC MTA website you can buy train tickets online and even save a few more dollars (told you that I was cheap). We are going in 2 nights before the cruise so that we can have all day Friday in Manhattan - we will buy the 24 hour pass for the subway and use that to get around the city (also works on the buses). Mass transit in the city is great, we have nothing like it in the midwest.

Have a great trip and don't let the thought of taking the train scare you - you will have a great time!

Why won't they take you to Bayonne? With this economy you would think they would want the business. It might cost you, but I am sure you can get a limo to Bayonne. A limo will take you to AC and that is farther away than Bayonne.

When it first opened, no one wanted the hassle of going there--they make much more on airport drops offs/pickups & take the cruise trips to/from Red Hook & NYC because they have to...

Hope this has changed--DH will have to make some calls... we do not cruise til 2010 so we have lots of time to work this out.

.Also wonder if there's a cruise line bus from LI . Royal had one way back...have not really followed this port since we do not cruise any ships that leave from there-

Seeing the bridge & Lady Liberty will be nice...

If we have to drive it will be on Sunday of Labor day weekend & a Sunday the next week coming home--a bit more traffic perhaps but certainly better than rush hour during the week!

• 5 months later...

I just want to thank all of you for the suggestion of taking the LIRR to Flatbush Ave then a cab to the Red Hook Terminal. I saw that the Flatbush Ave station is wheelchair accessible and has an elevator. It is going to save me a TON of money over a car service which I have done in the past.

BTW, I have traveled on the LIRR with luggage to go into the city and it is pretty easy esp with the escalators and elevators at the stations.

Does anyone know if cabs are available at the Flatbush Station?

Ok, I just called Arecibo Car Service and they said it would be $9 from Flatbush Ave LIRR station to Red Hook. I am so excited! This is going to save me about $100! They said to just call them that day.

Thanks again!;):D

Archived