Wheelchair rental

Lady_Jag

My mom is unable to walk for long distances or stand for long periods of time. She thinks she will be able to get a wheelchair on board and just pay a deposit, which will be refunded at the end of the cruise. This sounds a little too good to be true to me. Do I need to get a wheelchair rental company to have a wheelchair ready for her so that she can leave the ship and explore the ports?

My sister uses a wheelchair when her legs get tired. We have gone to the purser desk and got a chair for her to use for the week. No problem.,

Carnival is great about assisting guest with a disability boarding the ship and disembarking. They are also helpful getting on and off the ship

Enjoy your cruise

My friend asked ahead of time and was told by the handicapped folks that you cant reserve one, its hit or miss. She wanted one to take into a port so I could push her and they said no she cant reserve one for her needs. She is on a walker and can rest on the ship.

The wheelchairs on the ship are primarily there for injuries on the ship. If you will need one all the time and going ashore your best bet is to rent one. We did this with my dad for years. I could never take the chance that he would not have one because he could not go ashore without one and if the ship needs one for an emergency they would take it back. I would hate if he couldn't go ashore with us.

There are many rental places around the port that will deliver wheelchairs to the ships. Carnival sent us to Care Vacations.com. Also check with Medicare, If the doctor says that you need one medicare will pay for it. My Dad got his for 6 months at a time. He couldn't get through the airport terminal so he had to bring his with him.

When we were on the Victory a couple years ago, my son had broken his knee about a month before. He was on crutches but the walk to the ship was a long way so we asked if we could get a wheelchair just to help him get on the ship and was told no they didn't have any. They wouldn't even find a chair for him to sit on while we were waiting to get on the ship. Moral of the story; better to take care of yourself than count on others.

We cruised for many years with my Dad and his wheelchair and it isn't too much of a hassel. My MIL needed one for the last cruise so we ended up buying her one for 109 dollars rather than rent one everytime she wanted to go anywhere. We thought the 109 was a pretty good deal and we don't have to worry about renting anymore. Have a great cruise!! Cindy

From the Carnival website:

Onboard Wheelchairs are limited for emergency use only. If you require the use of a wheelchair while onboard, you must bring your own, or rent one. Carnival will provide Wheelchair assistance for embarkation and debarkation Guests arriving at the designated port of departure should contact a Carnival Embarkation Host /Hostess once they arrive. Debarkation procedures will be printed in the Carnival Capers onboard.

I can't imagine booking a cruise and not reading EVERYTHING on the cruiseline website. There is a wealth of information there on everything from kids activities to internet access. And it is all easily accessible on the home page. EM

From the Carnival website:

I can't imagine booking a cruise and not reading EVERYTHING on the cruiseline website. There is a wealth of information there on everything from kids activities to internet access. And it is all easily accessible on the home page. EM

Thanks. Yeah, I'm an idiot for not searching the Carnival web site for this. :mad: And here I thought I was ahead of the game for trying to research my 4th Carnival cruise 10 months in advance!

Oh well! When I booked, my travel agent said to let her know if we needed a wheelchair, and she would get us in touch with a good rental company she knows. I will continue to check out all our options, and then probably give her a call.

Archived