Bridge Tour - How common

dilacruiser

On our recent Summit cruise, our family was invited to a bridge tour. It was very interesting, and we were glad to attend.

How common is it to be invited to a bridge tour? This was our first cruise.

My room was the first one next to the door that leads to the bridge, and I saw at least 3 tours of 20-30 people. My wife said she read it was open for anyone to attend on at least one of them.

Jim

My room was the first one next to the door that leads to the bridge, and I saw at least 3 tours of 20-30 people. My wife said she read it was open for anyone to attend on at least one of them.

Jim

Bridge Tours are by invitation only. The invitation states that it is private, and you should not tell anyone else about the tour. You are to bring your SeaPass card, and a picture I.D. with you, at the designated meeting place.

We've done Bridge Tours quite a few times. Always interesting and informative.

So how do they pick? Do they choose people who have sailed a bunch of times or do they just pick at random?

We'd love to see the kitchen and the heliport and the bridge... my DH is an executive chef and it would make his cruise to see the kitchen.

Invitations are often extended to those who are in the highest tier of a ship's loyalty program (In Celebrity's case, "Elite"). Sometimes the invitation is extended because the person is in a suite, or has met the captain at some event on the ship. That said, sometimes a word to the ship's hostess, or whatever they call the position now, can produce results, too. It is a nice treat.

Andrew

We have been invited to a "bridge tour" on 2 different cruises. We are Elite Members. The invitation asked us not to mention this to others. We didn't. But, why, I have no idea.

I think that nowadays there are far fewer Bridge Tours than previously I suppose for security.

Some years ago I was invited by the Staff Captain to the Bridge for sailing out of Stockholm. Very interesting in the duties of the Captain and Staff C at this most difficult Port because of all the little islands.

Later on the same cruise I was invited by the Captain on to the Bridge for the arrival into St Petersburg. A very gloomy arrival but once again very interesting.

I also had a 3rd visit again a private tour with a couple I got to know on the cruise. He had been in the Royal Navy and so it was a big thing for him.

I think now it is as some say status on the CC's ie Elite.

Sue

Sailaway on the Galaxy Med. It was so interesting to be in the bridge while the captain was giving orders and we were backing away and turning from port. Tis was the first time for us for a sailaway...usually the tours are when the ships are docked and nothing is happening in the bridge.

BTW: It was informal night and we went in our Jackets and ties. Everyone else was in shorts and t-shirts........We were invited to the Captains table for the Hotel director the next day........

Dave:eek:

We were invited to a bridge tour on our recent Constellation cruise. We were in a CC cabin, but are only Select level members of Captain's Club. The group on our tour seemed to be those that signed up for Cruise Critic / Celebrity Connections. Just one more great thing about Cruise Critic.

It was totally unexpected and a wonderful treat.

We were on the same cruise as Dilacruiser and Candymanjim. We got an invitation to a bridge tour even though it was only our 2nd Celebrity cruise and we were in a regular 2C cabin. Don't know why but it sure was nice. Our daughter asked to see the "red button" they push for the Lifeboat Drill. I've attached a picture of the bridge officer showing it to her along with the microphone they use for the announcement.

--Junglejane

1265392805_BridgeTour.jpg.32a4675b4e5c9f70fa9cab8bc01f49f0.jpg

So how do they pick? Do they choose people who have sailed a bunch of times or do they just pick at random?

We'd love to see the kitchen and the heliport and the bridge... my DH is an executive chef and it would make his cruise to see the kitchen.

Make a polite request to the Maitre'd and you might be surprised what may occur.

Hypo

Can't imagine anyone turning down these opportunities!:p

As I understand it, bridge tours after 9/11 were scrapped, but as time went on they started them up again to certain groups of people.

I'd always wanted to see the bridge and had the opportunity following attendance of the Cruise Critic party (all names and cabin numbers taken as we entered the room) and was very excited. I really enjoyed it. I've been on a few now and still find it fascinating although I noticed on the last one that quite a number of people were no shows. That is perhaps a reflection that for some it is getting a bit old hat. For me the chance to look out from the bridge and try the bow thrusters whilst we are doing 20 knots is never old hat. OK, perhaps they don't let me touch any of the controls;)

Phil

As I understand it, bridge tours after 9/11 were scrapped, but as time went on they started them up again to certain groups of people.

Phil

We've been on several, before and after 9/11.

Several years ago on the Horizon we were the only elite on the ship and had a private visit which we enjoyed.

We were on the Constellation three years in a row and were at the Connections party for all three. Only on our last cruise on her (2006), did the Captain invite the entire CC group (by invitation) for the bridge tour. We really enjoyed it. A CC friend who only cruises RCCL, ALWAYS gets invited (and she was only gold level at the time we last sailed with her) to tour the bridge AND sit at the captain's table as she brings a gift for the captain every time she cruises.:)

We have been invited to a "bridge tour" on 2 different cruises. We are Elite Members. The invitation asked us not to mention this to others. We didn't. But, why, I have no idea.
We were invited on the Quest last Dec., also never cruised line before.

We too were asked NOT to mention...except many others kinda asked me if I'd gotten a letter???? Sorry to say..we couldn't go on it....was a port day and we were on a full day tour that day. I think they wondered why...6 people invited (out of 20 we were told), but we were ALL from the Cruise Critic group, (and felt that had something to do with it) we had set up this private tour in Nicaragua ON our Roll Call!:D

We were invited on our first X cruise. Why? I'm not sure

we were CC and also went to the CC gathering. Anyhow

it was very interesting and the captain of th Connie was

gracious. (It just occured to me of the similarity of the two

CC designations I used - should the board have some sort of

distinction?)

Archived