OT but affects cruise this month.....

nmyorkiemom

I totally understand if this gets removed, but it affects our cruise on 7/27, and I'm seeking any input. Yes, I posted earlier about possibly having to cancel due to DH herniated disc....now this, too! :(

My DD16 was running an ice cream machine the DQ she works at on Tuesday 7/1 night when the Phase 2 power to the building surged, then blew. She received a shock which made her dizzy, weak & caused her muscles to spasm.

Did not knock her down or cause her to lose consciousness.

Happened about 9:30 p.m. & I picked her up at 10. When we got home shortly after 10 I could see her muscles in arms/chest twitching & took her to ER. Were in ER from 10:30 - 3:10 a.m.....EKG normal, blood & urine normal.

Took her back to her normal Dr on Wed & did another EKG & more urine & still normal.

She has incredible pain in both arms & some in chest/back. Arms are VERY weak....uses 2 hands to turn door knob, can't really brush hair, can't lift, etc.

She's on 1000mg acetaminophen, 800 mg ibuprofen, 2 mg valium every 8 hours. If not seeing improvement today, we add 5 mg oxycodone.

Does anyone have any experience with shocks like this? Any idea on recovery time? I THINK her muscles have stopped spasming...at least I can't see them. She says they just feel kind of shaky & her hands are still a bit tingly.

Dr said the muscles in her arms on Wed were REALLY REALLY stiff & tight, so I know from experience that this can cause pain & some tingling.

All this & we are supposed to leave on 7/14 for vacation in FL & a cruise on the 27th!

Any info is greatly appreciated as are prayers!

TIA!!

I totally understand if this gets removed, but it affects our cruise on 7/27, and I'm seeking any input. Yes, I posted earlier about possibly having to cancel due to DH herniated disc....now this, too! :(

My DD16 was running an ice cream machine the DQ she works at on Tuesday 7/1 night when the Phase 2 power to the building surged, then blew. She received a shock which made her dizzy, weak & caused her muscles to spasm.

Happened about 9:30 p.m. & I picked her up at 10. When we got home shortly after 10 I could see her muscles in arms/chest twitching & took her to ER. Were in ER from 10:30 - 3:10 a.m.....EKG normal, blood & urine normal.

Took her back to her normal Dr on Wed & did another EKG & more urine & still normal.

She has incredible pain in both arms & some in chest/back. Arms are VERY weak....uses 2 hands to turn door knob, can't really brush hair, can't lift, etc.

She's on 1000mg acetaminophen, 800 mg ibuprofen, 2 mg valium every 8 hours. If not seeing improvement today, we add 5 mg oxycodone.

Does anyone have any experience with shocks like this? Any idea on recovery time? I THINK her muscles have stopped spasming...at least I can't see them. She says they just feel kind of shaky & her hands are still a bit tingly.

Dr said the muscles in her arms on Wed were REALLY REALLY stiff & tight, so I know from experience that this can cause pain & some tingling.

All this & we are supposed to leave on 7/14 for vacation in FL & a cruise on the 27th!

TIA!!

Sorry I have no advice for you.. I think you would be better off trying a medical board such as.. http://www.healthboards.com/?gclid=CImwko7UppQCFQMIswodv3KxtA

T&P's that everything turns out OK. Good Luck;)

I am not a doctor or nurse or a medical anything. 2 years ago my DH had a protruding lumbar disc which he had surgery to repair in October. Unfortunely, we didn't know about it in July when we were on our vacation. He was in horrible pain and spent much of the week on the floor. We were in the Outer Banks of NC and we live in Philly. In NC, he had access to medical facilities and full service drug stores, and 911 in case it was needed. Fortunely, although he was in alot of pain, these things were not needed.

The time you are in FL would be just like when we were in NC. However, on a ship??? If it was me I'd do FL and not the ship. God forbid if either of them need more help than the ship's facilities can offer!

Just my humble opinion. Only you can decide and I do think it will probably have to be YOU. DH doesn't want to disappoint you and DD. DD doesn't want to ruin a great trip for DH and you. YOU may have to be the adult here, but then again, aren't we wives and mothers ALWAYS the adults in these situations ?!?!?! ;) :)

The 4 possibilities of travel [or any] insurance.

1.) BEST--To have it and not need it.

2.)GOOD-- To NOT have it and not need it.

3.)FAIR-- To have it and need it.

4.)WORST--To not have it and need it.

Dan

About 20 years ago my sister got a real bad shock from a weed-eater (it got caught in her gold necklace) and she went into a coma for two days. It was so bad the doctors did not think she would live, but 48 hours later she was up and around! The point is, when dealing with this kind of thing it is very difficult for doctors to truely know what will happen.

It took my sister a good 6 months before she could function normally - she often had memory lapses for one thing.

I also know from experience how difficult it is to be sick when traveling. Being on a ship with limited medical facilities would also worry me.

My advice - cancel the cruise and play it safe.

My prayers are with your family.

DaveOKC

I know how valuable insurance can be! My husband and I had a once in a lifetime river cruise in Russia planned 3 years ago and he ended up in the ER 2 days before we were to leave. He got out the night before we left with the DR's ok. At least we would have had the insurance if needed. As it turns out we did use the insurance to help with the fact that they lost our luggage in Moscow and we were without for 3 days. Long story!!!!!!!!!

It also sounds like being struck by lightning...And they don't really know what effects it has. If she has really tight muscles, maybe a total body massage would help, or some physical therapy. EM

TIA!!

so sorry to hear of your Daughters condition.

I know the pain of muscle spasms, twitching, pain, etc. A few months ago, I was poked in the nerve by a needle not once, but 3 times, to this day, I still have problems with that hand. When I told my doctor about it, she requested me go to the Nerve doctor for test. I went to him a year ago, so he has something to compare it to.

BTW... How is your husband doing?

I am not a medical expert either but in adition to the valium has your doctor considered prescribing some type of muscle relaxant such as Flexiral? The body's natural defense is to release lactic acid in response to the shock to the nervous system. This causes the spasms. A high potassium diet, good drugs and rest are her best bet.

As a Mom I would be worried that there might be some late appearing complications and being out to sea is a risk I wouldn't be willing to take. Talk to your Doc and follow his or her advice. She's young and it sounds healthy so maybe this is just a bump in the road for her.......

TIA!!

I handle personal injury issues and you have some tough choices to make.

1st.... workmans comp.

She will be paid for all medical bills and lost wages during her recovery.

If she goes on vacation,she could jeopardize her comp and future medical bill payments.The catch 22 here is,well enough to go on vacation,well enough to work.

2nd....I have handled an electrocution , and the possibility of new medical issues presenting themselves are huge and my you can have issues for 6 months and the last thing I would want is to be at sea.She could die as the ship is not prepared for such a thing.

I personally would not go and would not advise her to go either.

Why risk death and financial ruin as a result of it.Your personal medical insurance will not cover it as it was a comp issue.

Contact the workmans comp company and ask if they will cover emergency evac if needed and tell them what your are planning.

Contact CCL and tell them the type of potential patient you are looking to bring on board.

Contact your travel insurance and let them know what happened and see what they tell you.You now have a pre-existing condition and you must use due diligence to not put your self in a situation that would create larger medical bills.

The end result.

Workmans comp will tell you that they will not cover anything outside of your area.

CCL will probably want to deny you boarding.

Travel insurance,will tell you no coverage will be extended as a result of comp and will encourage you to cancel.

Archived