Time Between Lodges on the Cruise Tours

Sox Fan Cruiser

We are looking at doing a cruise tour after our Alaska cruise but there are so many choices, it's overwhelming.

How long does it take to get from one lodge to another. I assume you have time at each lodge to do some sort of excursion or just relax.

When we asked the future cruise desk employee on the CB last week she said it takes 12 hours. That doesn't sound right. By the way, she was the most un-helpful person I have ever dealt with at Princess.

We recently did a cruise tour - did the land first - the longest train ride was from the Princess railroad depot near Talkeetna to the ship -about 7 hours - from Fairbanks to Denali about 4 and then the same to the McZKInley lodge - but thru have sooooooooooooo many different tours - I don't know about bus transportation

I haven't done my cruisetour yet (Aug. 12th!!!) - but here's the times that Princess provided -

Anchorage to McKinley Lodge - 3 hour by bus

McKinley Lodge to Denali Lodge - 1 hour by bus to Talkeetna then

4 hours by train to Denali

Denali Lodge to Copper River Lodge - 9 hours by bus (mostly on gravel

road :eek: )!

for us (Princess arctic cruisetour), the longest commute by bus is between Fairbanks & Coldfoot and Coldfoot & Prudhoe Bay- 9and a half hours- but they stop every 90 minutes for breaks and to see stuff, they also factor in time in case they see wildlife. The transport between accomodations is long, but they are doing the driving (or running the train), so you are free to relax and get a good look at Alaska. ;)

HI,

And one thing to also keep in mind is that usually the person either driving the bus or on the train is also giving some commentary and insight, so you also learn along the way. Our most informative drive on our recent tour was from Denali to Fairbanks-there were only six of us on a bus, and the driver was a fabulous tour guide-it is not just a bus ride! You learn alot!

Our tour was great, but we made a mistake-pick a tour that has at least two nights in Denali Lodge and includes the Tundra Wilderness Tour. Ours started in Anchorage, then McKinley, Denali and ended in Fairbanks. Princess flew us back to Anchorage, which worked out great since we already had experienced the train/bus on the way north, and flying was quick and a lovely flight. There really are so many options-good luck!

Sox Fan Cruiser:

I can't answer your question as DH & I will be in Alaska for the first time later this month.

But, I just had to tell you how much I love your avatar!! DH & I are transplanted Bostonians now retired in Central Florida. We are huge Patriots/Celtics/Red Sox fans. In fact, we saw the Sox in Tampa this past Monday, where they lost, unfortunately:( . But it was a good game!

Ellen

Hey NelleS - any where near The Villages in Central FL?

No, we don't live in The Villages, but the bus trip was one offered by AAA there. This is the second year we've gone to a game.

We're in a community south of Leesburg.

Ellen

Dear Sox Fan,

One more tip...call Princess and ask to be transferred to the Alaska Cruistour desk-they can easily answer your questions about distances.

On our recent cruise on the Coral, the Future Cruise Consultant was, shall I say, disappointing also. We went to her presentation on Europe cruising, and I could have done a better job-no insight into ports, new ships or itineraries. On other cruises the FCC has been very knowledgeable.

Good luck!

ps-we are Yankee fans, but I'm giving up on this year...they sting! I can;t believe how well the Tampa Rays are doing...what a surprise!

Archived