I'm back...with a new ship design! in 3D

marinearchit

Very interesting design.

I was just wondering about the movement of the elevator banks to the outsides. Seems to me that loosing 84 balcony staterooms (7 decks if I counted correctly x 2 balcony staterooms which seems about the size of each bank x 3 banks per side x 2 sides) is a bit much when there is such a premium placed on these types of cabins. That's an awful lot of extra revenue that needs to be generated by the expanded innards to make up for.

Hey, great design in any case. Keep it up!!!

ancldaca,

I've been considering that very issue. I think, in general, the loss is relatively minimal.

Mr.Vincent,

She isn't that bad. Trust me.:D

sidari,

The origional designs were just in MS Paint. This design, however, is made in SketchUp.

But, the actual plans for the ships are done by hand. I'm working on developing some for this ship.

I'll have another picture update soon. I didn't get much work done on her today.

I love the 3D model! Excellent work on that aspect!

I'll agree the passenger capacity may be a bit high. The 2,500-3,000 range I think is good for a good size Princess ship.

I love your design! Only one thing could be improved in my opinion. The general shape of the ship is very box like. When I look at your design, one ship comes to mind, NCL's Pride of America. It seems your design lacks the nice curves of the original Grand class design.

On another note, I wouldn't be surprised if Princess ends up taking some of your ideas for there next class of ships. You have some wonderful designs!

When I look at your design, one ship comes to mind, NCL's Pride of America.

:eek:

Haha, I guess I'll be doing some revising on the design!:D

The Pride of America is by far, at least in my opinion, the ugliest ship afloat (exterior wise). So, I'd really like to avoid a resemblance to it.

That aside, thanks very much for the feedback. It's greatly appreciated.

I think the biggest problem with this ship is the rounded area above the bridge. So, I think I may do some work around that area, without loosing the arched glass area of the spa which it would create.

Some new updates. I've extended the bow and rebuilt the stern and area under the waterline. Overall, it has helped to balance out the profile. This ship's bow is sharper than that of the average cruise ship, so it should help her in fuel efficiency.

In this picture, you can see the larger bow and a new area which has been added on top of the domed area. This new area mimics the area which surrounds the Sanctuary/Sports courts on current Grand class ships and looks sort of like a crown atop the superstructure. On this ship, it will house The Globe, an intimate 50-seat (roughly) restaurant which slowly revolves.

NewPrincess7.jpg

Future home of the Lotus Spa's Tholassotherapy pool

NewPrincess8.jpg

Progress on the Archipellago Pool and MUTS. This area needs a lot of work, but the overall design is visible. Notice the beach-inspired pool.

NewPrincess9.jpg

New stern with tiered aft balconies. I will add awnings to them so that they are half covered and half uncovered.

BTW, take a look at the two balconies closest to Skywalkers. They're sort of like hidden gems. Completely uncovered and completely private.

NewPrincess10.jpg

Aerial view of the ship.

NewPrincess11.jpg

From the image above, you can see that the FI Pool area is rather large. In this area, there will actually be 2 pools with a set of fountains in the middle (similar to Solstice's waterworks). So, technically, this ship will have 6 pools, rather than the current Grand Class' 5. And, if you've noticed, there is a nice amount of deck space onboard. Essentially, this ship will almost eliminate chair hog problems in the main pool areas.

I realise that since I'm actually building the model, I know exactly what every corner of it looks like. But, you guys only see the pictures I post, so you're not always getting the full effect. So, I'm trying to get the best shots possible.

Overall, I think her profile has improved. A huge problem is the ship is still devoid of railings and most major details, so she still looks very odd to most people. Especially the fact that her lifeboats look so low to the water, when really I just haven't added that many windows to the hull yet. But, I'm hopeing she'll be done in not to long.:D

As for a name, no matter how much I try to think of something, I just really love the name Fair Princess. Also, it's a classic, so why not bring it back into the fleet? Even if it is on a fake ship.

Johnathan .... the stern looks far superior now to how it looked a few days ago ! the skywalkers looked out of place then.. but now it fits in better with the tiered cabin design.. though i do still wonder how it would look wrapped around into either side of the ship? but it looks far better now than it did.... the Front above the Bridge is looking better also... one thing that seems to be missing from Princess ships is a small pool for those kids under say 2 years old! i am sure many parents would welcome this addition seeing as they are not allowed in the other pools.

Dave.

Jonathan...Like Dave said, I also like the tiered design of the stern. Even though (as you & others have said) the ship is still "boxy" looking, I would like to see you keep the "squared edge" look on the stern, unlike the curved & rounded look that RCCL has on their ships. I just think it looks "classier"

As for a name, no matter how much I try to think of something, I just really love the name Fair Princess. Also, it's a classic, so why not bring it back into the fleet? Even if it is on a fake ship.

Since it is a "fake" ship, how about the "Pearl", to go along with the Emerald, Sapphire and Ruby Princess?

Joe

Jonathan,

AMAZING. . .I love it. Much nicer then the RCL Mosters of the Sea! Love the revolving resturtant, but maybe it could be more on the top with a 360 view and include a lounge for about 20 or 30 people.

Thank you for not putting in a slide or a wave thingy or a hot tub over the side. . yuck I hate them. But a lazy river around the too main pool would be an interesting addition.

I love the outside elevators, can Princes finally have plaza to pool deck atriums with retractable class roofs? And 2 or 3 out door cafe's, but an indoor pizzaria like on the Sun Class.

Oh my head is spinning with ideals. As for names, I have always loved Sky Princess and Regel Princess, but Atlantic Princess has a nice ring to it too. The first one should be Sky as she is open to the heaven. Can't wait to see more.:D

Semantics of course, but it is SOLAS (Safety Of Life At Sea) treaties which dictate placement of lifeboats, which then becomes "industry standard", not the other way around. New design of davits has allowed some movement in that area.

Still think you need to work on a smaller design - something that will fit through the current locks of the Panama Canal.

I did some rebuilding of the Promenade deck (raised it higher) and added an ocean surface to show her in the water.

NewPrincess12.jpg

The curves of her bow need some smoothing.

NewPrincess13.jpg

NewPrincess14.jpg

Next I'll be finishing her hull and adding windows.

Druke,

Not exactly sure what you mean about the SOLAS regulations, as I have adapted them to this ship. (They are the same height on this ship as they are on the current Grand class)

sunviking,

Thanks for the great feedback! I'll try to encorporate some of your suggestions.

cruisingpeople,

I agree that the squared off stern fits this ship much better than a rounded one. Also, Pearl is a great name.

Sorry for the lag in updates. I'm still working on her.

sidari,

I could definately try. Although it's a relatively awkward area to begin with, and doesn't allow a pool. I am considering having the outdoor area for the childrens and teen centers on one side, and a small cafe on the other (the galley for HC is roughly right below this area).

• 4 weeks later...

You know what could be nifty? A bar/lounge built into the top of the bow looking forward. I know, not the best of place to place glass but these ships aren't really plying the transatlantic trade anymore having to worry constantly about 40 foot waves, right?

But wouldn't it be fun to have a drink or something on a day at sea and literally have nothing in front of you (well, maybe the glass pane)? If you peer downward you could just make up the bottom of the bow slicing through the water...

You know what could be nifty? A bar/lounge built into the top of the bow looking forward. I know, not the best of place to place glass but these ships aren't really plying the transatlantic trade anymore having to worry constantly about 40 foot waves, right?

But wouldn't it be fun to have a drink or something on a day at sea and literally have nothing in front of you (well, maybe the glass pane)? If you peer downward you could just make up the bottom of the bow slicing through the water...

Sounds line the Crows Nest on HAL. And you are right, it is a neat place to sit and have a drink and watch the bow slice through water.:D

Just to let everybody know, this design process IS NOT dead. School is starting in a week and I just haven't had any free time lately.

ancldaca, that's something I've also always thought about! It's definately a interesting idea which would most likely prove very popular.

The biggest obsticle would be redesigning the bow area (theater placement, organization of crew facilities, etc.).

Also, I'm not fully sure if SOLAS allows something like this, but it's something I'd definately like to see.

I doubt very much that the insurers would approve of a glassed-in viewing area/bar at the bow.

Ancidaca's statement to the contrary, 40ft waves are not that unusual in seas/oceans other than the Atlantic. Not that they are common, but given the right weather conditions, not unheard of.

Marinearchit - keep up your imaginative work, and your studies!

I doubt very much that the insurers would approve of a glassed-in viewing area/bar at the bow.

Ancidaca's statement to the contrary, 40ft waves are not that unusual in seas/oceans other than the Atlantic. Not that they are common, but given the right weather conditions, not unheard of.

Marinearchit - keep up your imaginative work, and your studies!

Aw come on where is your sense of adventure??? :eek:

I have a good sense of adventure, but I do not "throw all caution to the wind".

I've ridden the back end of a typhoon, (Golden Odyssey, 11-86), with green water over the bridge, screws out of the water, inclinometer pegged, China Sea.

I've had my cabin flooded (Maasdam 11-95) when water entered the hull via the hawsepipe (anchor chainway) during an Atlantic storm.

I've watched picture windows along Prom Deck shatter (Golden Princess, 8-02) while the ship is flexing fighting for seaway, Atlantic Ocean.

Archived