I'm back...with a new ship design! in 3D

marinearchit

Well, in the "why doesn't Princess" thread, when Colo Cruiser said "Where ya been?", I realised how long it's been since I've posted on the Princess boards and did a new ship design.

So, I decided it was time for a new one. But I didn't want to do another one in MS Paint, so I opted to create a full 3D model.

She's not complete yet, only about 50% done. But, I really wanted to show you guys what I've been working on.

I kept some of the Grand Class roots, but made the pool areas larger and the top deck slightly more open.

Front view...

NewPrincess1.jpg

As you can see, she sows some resemblance to the current Grand class. But, there are obvious differences. For example, the white sections which split up the balconies and promenade in 3 different areas. These will be panoramic elevators. By moving all of the ship's elevators and stairwells to the sides, it frees up a nice amount of interior space for more unobstructed public rooms.

Side profile...

NewPrincess2.jpg

Stern and pools...

NewPrincess3.jpg

I've kept the general pool setup from the newer Grand class ships, but expanded the MUTS pool's stadium seating and made the Archipelago Beach pool design where all of the edges gently slope into the water.

Over the forward main pool, I have placed the FA (Fully Adaptive) Solarium. Unlike the average solarium, instead of just having the magradome open, the walls can also be retracted to completely open up the area, making it the average pool. The walls which can move have aluminum frames and can be pushed back by crew, rather than wasting space on more machinery.

Skywalkers is now part of the stern, rather than being suspended above it. The Infinity Edge Pool can also be seen at the stern.

I'll show the placement of public rooms later, when the ship's design nears completion.

A random piece of info... I'm giving the ship Spa staterooms, which seem to be very popular now. Also the Spa and Sanctuary will be significantly larger than what is currently in the fleet.

Rough statistics...

pax- 3,800-4,000

crew- 1,400-1,800

Gross Tonnage- around 180,000-200,000

draft- 28ft. I need to work on the model's draft.

Propulsion- 4 Pods. (Not sure the brand)

Beam- 180ft.

Length- 1,000-1,110 ft. (depends if I alter the current model)

Please, everybody...I love comments, ideas, suggestions, etc.!

Marine, nice to see you back again with a different design. Now my opinions: still think too many passenger count, and the ship seems for lack of a better term "boxy". it reminds me of the Cunard ships, the Queens, etc.

Still I always enjoy your visions of new ships. Always look forward to it.

Marilyn

Thanks!

I understand the amount of passengers might be a problem. I'm pretty satisified with a 2,500 pax ship myself. I'm just trying to picture what the future may be for Princess.

Yeah, she really is a floating box.:D

I had origionally created a much more tiered superstructure, but the lost space didn't allow for many innovations.

Nice to see you back.

I too think your newest is much "too boxy", and way too big. I want to go on a ship, not a floating apartment block.

I'm afraid you will never find me on a ship that big.

I think you would find much support for a ship around 50,000GRT to 75,000GRT, 1000PAX to 1500PAX.

All I can say is WOW. It has been a long time since you posted a new ship design. Love your new one. Love the infinity edge pool. How about some aft balcony cabins...without any beams that take up 3 feet or so like some of the aft balcony cabins on the Emerald.:)

It may be possible that I'm "misreading" the design, but is there a deck of cabins similar to the Caribe deck on the Grand class that have the half and half balconies? It looks like fully covered and then "Dolphin style" but I may not be looking at it right. Those cabins seem to be generally pretty popular and I think it'd be great to have some integrated!

I would like to see a ship (a model but a real one too!) that from the back the profile looks like a Mayan ruin- the ziggurat type things, with Caribe style balconies going all the way down the ship so that it is slightly pyramidal for at least part of the way.

Jonathan... having not seen any of your previous design efforts before please do not see my response to your design as being negative !

The part above the bridge seems to be too Big and with no definition, more akin to a forehead while the whole ship appears to be as someone else said Too boxy! and the position of skywalkers takes it back to the shopping trolly look that saw Princess move it forward.

suggestions ? maybe if you leave skywalkers where it is make it Wrap around the Stern so it joins into the sides so that the ends are curved instead of square which adds more room for seating which would be out over the sea?, maybe alter the forehead look into a more laid back sleeker design, what about water slides for the pools? or climbing walls? instead of just pools! how about Roller skating area.

Dave.

Thanks for the feedback, everybody.

I'm working on a smaller ship also, but progress is far less.

sidari,

The part above the bridge hasn't recieved any detail yet. When it's complete, it will be a large 360degree viewing area at the front of the spa and also a lounge which slowly rotates.

I think the origional reason Skywalkers was moved was due to the flexing it caused on the ships' hull. But, by moving it lower into the stern, it helps to prevent the added weight.

I tried moving Skywalkers aft of the funnel, but I thought it just didn't look right on this ship.

Hi,

I don't necessarily agree that the pax count is too high when you look at the length and suggested gross tonnage. Now the Oasis of the Seas of R.C.L with approx 5400 pax, now that is TOO! many.

I love the idea of a retractable roof and sides for the second pool -- I've always hated the covered pools in the Grand-class because that area feels so claustrophobic. This seems like a nice compromise, when even on days it has to be covered, the walls are still glass.

One comment: don't forget about a good-sized Promenade Deck that goes all the way around the ship! I'd love to see one that opens up into a good-sized deck area aft with lots of space for loungers and tables -- a sheltered place to gather and relax.

Wow!!! What talent you have. That's a wonderful job. However, the first thing I thought of when I saw it was "oh, Royal Caribbean." I could see it work for Princess if the amount of passengers was reduced. Good start though.

You are so creative! I have enjoyed your past designs, but like some others, I prefer a smaller ship. Can you design a small ship with lots of amenities? I'm not talking about rock climbing walls or ice rinks, but lounges and eateries, etc. Please keep it luxurious.;)

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I've done some more work on the model.

-Begun to add exterior staircases

-Begun to add details to the hull like windows.

bjkTX,

I've actually considered solar panels onboard. Solstice will have them to power her elevators.

I was thinking that on this ship, solar panels would help to power the magradome, elevators, etc. Lots of small things onboard.

Also, I've done some work on a smaller 2,500 pax ship.

Some minor updates...

Some detailes added to the domed area. This area will also house two new panoramic penthouse suites.

NewPrincess4.jpg

Staircases at the Aft Infinity Pool

NewPrincess5.jpg

Some windows have been added to the hull

NewPrincess6.jpg

I'm considering adding a VIP Cabana area like this as an extension to The Sanctuary. (This is from a different design I'm working on, but is easily adaptable to the Princess design)

cabanas-1.jpg

Thoughts?

Marine,

I must say I am very impressed. I prefer large ships and want to see Princess come out with something to shock the world again as they did with the Grand. I have sailed on the Explorer of the Seas and while it was a great experience, there were way too many passengers and I was not too impressed. I would love to see Princess put a ship out like the one you designed keeping it more like Celebrity by limiting the amount of passengers. Please excuse my ignorance, but what are the chances of princess going forward with a design like this? Again, great job. I just love the shock and awe of a large vessel.

First, I would like to say "welcome back" Jonathan, I've missed seeing your designs. I'm starting to like this new design more & more since you've been adding the different details. Keep up the good work.

It may be possible that I'm "misreading" the design, but is there a deck of cabins similar to the Caribe deck on the Grand class that have the half and half balconies? It looks like fully covered and then "Dolphin style" but I may not be looking at it right. Those cabins seem to be generally pretty popular and I think it'd be great to have some integrated!

The way I'm "reading" the design, it looks more like the balcony set-up is a reverse of the normal "opened Dolphin deck and 1/2 & 1/2 Caribe deck. In other words, Dolphin is 1/2 covered, Caribe is fully exposed and the rest are completely covered. Dylaness, do you see what I am saying ?

Joe

Clutterlady,

Thanks! And glad to see somebody from the neighborhood!:D

Maverick,

I'd say the probability of Princess building a ship this size is better than smaller ships. For example, I'll use Royal Caribbean. They'll probably make larger profits from Oasis and Allure than from 5 Radiance class ships.

So, Princess, if they look at profits, which of course they are, see that bigger ships make more money than smaller ships. Princess is a profit-driven company, like all of the others.

Also, thanks for the great comments!

cruisingpeople,

You're correct about the balconies. They have a more reversed configuration from the current Grand class.

Everybody else who I didn't mention, thanks for the great feedback!

Clutterlady,

Thanks! And glad to see somebody from the neighborhood!:D

Maverick,

I'd say the probability of Princess building a ship this size is better than smaller ships. For example, I'll use Royal Caribbean. They'll probably make larger profits from Oasis and Allure than from 5 Radiance class ships.

So, Princess, if they look at profits, which of course they are, see that bigger ships make more money than smaller ships. Princess is a profit-driven company, like all of the others.

Also, thanks for the great comments!

cruisingpeople,

You're correct about the balconies. They have a more reversed configuration from the current Grand class.

Everybody else who I didn't mention, thanks for the great feedback!

I appreciate the information. Keep up the good work.

Bill B,

The lifeboats are the industry standard height from the water.

Also, many of the public rooms which are currently on the average ship's top deck have been relocated below the waterline. So, you could say, this ship has a generally lower center of gravity and is somewhat more stable than the current Grand class ship.

dbdave,

That's completely possible.

Archived