Early AM 1-stop or late afternoon 0-stop?

MNfamilycruiser

OK - so my perfectly timed non-stop AirTran flight from Minneapolis to Orlando was cancelled :( .

We have the choice of an early morning (7 AM) flight that has an 1 hour layover in Atlanta - or a nonstop flight that leaves at 3 PM and arrives in Orlando at 7 PM.

We are travelling in the day ahead, in mid November, and we have a group of 8 (including 2 children).

Does anyone have any "gut reactions" as to which flight would be the least risky, stressful?

My opinion is that later in the day (second to last flight out for the day) you have a higher chance of problems due to things that happened earlier in the day. Weather, mechanical issues - it seems that more delays and problems occur late afternoon, early evening - a ripple effect. I also hate the thought of losing out on that extra day - potentially arriving at the hotel just in time for bed!

Other people in our group would always prefer the non-stop - to lessen the chance of luggage mix-ups and problems catching the connecting flight. They DO NOT want to be running through the airport trying to catch the plane -;)

Is that afternoon flight the last one available? If it is, then I would probably go with the early one with that many people - that way you have all day if something gets screwed up.

Both views are valid. Given that there are no certainties and no guarantees why not split the group? Let the group who strongly prefer nonstops take the nonstop. Let the group who would rather have more options take the early flight.

My personal preference given November weather in Minneapolis would be to take the early flight, but this decision is based on probabilities and personality style. Whatever you choose (if the group stays together) someone might be unhappy. If you miss the Atlanta connection, will someone say "shoulda, coulda, woulda" or would the spirit of the conversation be "we made the best decision at the time on the information we had and it just didn't work out. Oh well, we'll manage."

BTW, the group got the most important decision right -- to fly in a day early.

Both views are valid. Given that there are no certainties and no guarantees why not split the group? Let the group who strongly prefer nonstops take the nonstop. Let the group who would rather have more options take the early flight.

My personal preference given November weather in Minneapolis would be to take the early flight, but this decision is based on probabilities and personality style. Whatever you choose (if the group stays together) someone might be unhappy. If you miss the Atlanta connection, will someone say "shoulda, coulda, woulda" or would the spirit of the conversation be "we made the best decision at the time on the information we had and it just didn't work out. Oh well, we'll manage."

BTW, the group got the most important decision right -- to fly in a day early.

Once we make the decision - there would be no recriminations :D - Luckily we don't have anyone who would be the "I told you so type".

We can't easily split the group - we have a group shuttle arranged to get us from MCO to Port Canaveral.

Even in the good weather days, flights in the afternoons would tend to be delayed, for one reason or the other. And if the flight is the last flight of the day, the delay turns into cancellation, you would be stuck.

The early flights in general would depart on time, as the day just started, many things that could go wrong have not had a chance to go wrong, yet.

Not to mention the time of the travel is November, from Minnosota.

However, it seems you already made the decision, so let's hope for the best. At least you are flying in a day early. Though, in not too distant past, there were airports closed for several days in severe winter blizzard. But I guess November is not considered "real" winter just yet.

I am glad to hear that most of you agreed with me - :D.

I did find some nice sites on airline and airport delays/cancellations - it also confirmed my gut feeling - the later in the day you wait - the higher a chance of delays.

Since it is my mother who mainly disagrees with me - I have to be very careful on convincing her that I'm right and she's wrong - :D ;)

Just kidding - I understand that both scenarios have risks and benefits.

I must be in the minority. I think non-stop is better than 1 stop but

I also like to have the whole day in whatever city I am flying

into;) so in your case my gut is not very helpful...sorry.

Hopefully everything will work out for you and your family:)

I read your post and it got me nervous about my own Air-tran flight.

I had originally booked a non-stop from Pgh to Orlando which was supposed to leave around 4pm. It was changed to leave around 6:30. The schedules were all changed so that there was only 1 more flight after ours, and it was full. I called and they let us change to the earlier non-stop flight, so now we leave about 1pm, and will arrive at 3pm. I feel better with a little breathing room. We are also flying in the day before. This arrangement appears to be perfect for us for now. I hope that it doesn't end up changing again.

I would fly as early in the day as possible. Getting out of the north and as far south as you can go gives you the best chance of wrapping up your travel by air on Day One of your trip.

There are many flight options out of Atlanta.

Do keep a very close watch on your flights in any case. Expect all sorts of changes and be prepared.

This isn't fun any more!

I am really hoping that as the time get closer - they will add back in the nonstop. I know - that is wishful thinking - :rolleyes: - but one can always hope and check the schedules!

Please don't count on this. When you change your current flight FOR FREE, you will not be allowed to change BACK to the nonstop (if it is added-doubtful) without a change fee UNLESS your current flight has another schedule change.

Take the one stopper early in the morning.

Airtran has discontinued several flights from MSP including all to Chicago. They have very few left going in and out of MSP. I wouldn't be surprised if they pull out all together soon. If the Airtran plane can't fly that day, you might be in trouble.

Personally, I would go with Northwest since they have more options as far as times to and from Orlando and chances to get a non-stop are much higher.

Please don't count on this. When you change your current flight FOR FREE, you will not be allowed to change BACK to the nonstop (if it is added-doubtful) without a change fee UNLESS your current flight has another schedule change.

Take the one stopper early in the morning.

Actually - I asked that before I accepted the change - and I was told yes I could.

That might not be true of course (we all know that you can't really depend on what you are told on the phone by any customer service person) - but I would say I might be able to convince them. I originally booked non-stops and only accepted the change because I had no choice - if a non-stop becomes available again...

Airtran has discontinued several flights from MSP including all to Chicago. They have very few left going in and out of MSP. I wouldn't be surprised if they pull out all together soon. If the Airtran plane can't fly that day, you might be in trouble.

Personally, I would go with Northwest since they have more options as far as times to and from Orlando and chances to get a non-stop are much higher.

It's too late for that! We just can't swallow the extra $100 per person to switch to NW at this time. We are a group of 8 (although I personally would only be paying for 4 seats) - that's just too much when we the other options are bearable.

AirTran currently has 5 flights out of MSP - that would get us to Orlando in 1 stop or less. If they pull out completely - I guess we will deal with it at that time.

Hi, just want to say I hope everything works out for you

and your family:)

Its not fun for this part of the planning:(......

Hi, just want to say I hope everything works out for you

and your family:)

Its not fun for this part of the planning:(......

Thank you - it used to be more fun didn't it?

I guess it is just something we will get used to - like security lines and regulations!

I did just go on and fix our seats for our new flights - at least that worked out. I'm kind of glad AirTran has you pay extra to choose your seats - many people must avoid that extra cost - there was still enough room to put us all together.

It's too late for that! We just can't swallow the extra $100 per person to switch to NW at this time. We are a group of 8 (although I personally would only be paying for 4 seats) - that's just too much when we the other options are bearable.

AirTran currently has 5 flights out of MSP - that would get us to Orlando in 1 stop or less. If they pull out completely - I guess we will deal with it at that time.

Maybe with a lot of luck, JetBlue or Southwest will move into the HHH terminal. MSP really needs one of those carriers. OR BOTH!

Maybe with a lot of luck, JetBlue or Southwest will move into the HHH terminal. MSP really needs one of those carriers. OR BOTH!

maybe :D - one can always hope!

For now I just close my eyes and ignore when others talk about the great Southwest rates they get.

Archived