HAL Helps Me Save on my Grocery Bill!!

lka1012

I've started taking all my HAL canvas bags with me when I go grocery shopping in order to be a little more "green." My grocery store gives people a 10 cents a bag discount on the bill. So save those HAL bags. And one more reason to take a cruise -- saving on grocery bill! :D

I've started taking all my HAL canvas bags with me when I go grocery shopping in order to be a little more "green." My grocery store gives people a 10 cents a bag discount on the bill. So save those HAL bags. And one more reason to take a cruise -- saving on grocery bill! :D

Haven't done that yet but I take mine with me just about anywhere else I go, even on cruises on other lines! I always try to take a photo of something with the ship's name along with my HAL bag. On our recent Carnival Miracle cruise, there was one other woman toting her HAL tote.

I work at Farmers Markets through out our area and frequently see shoppers carrying their HAL bags to place their green purchases in. :D

Quite often I will strike up a conversation, and I get replies that range from "Yes, I just got home from the World Cruise":eek: to "I bought it at a flea market" ;) ....

Regardless, the conversations and bags always make me smile and reminds me of why I am working so darn hard........

To cruise, of course!:D :D :D

Sounds like you will have to be doing a lot of grocery shopping to save enough for that cruise:D :D .

Hello,

Good for you all to go shopping whit those bags, I'm always a little confused

when I a shop in the USA almost for every item I buy in a supermarket a get a new plastic bag, in Holland we always bring your bags to the

supermarket to put the stuff in that normal and if you want a plastic bag

from the supermarket you have to pay for it.

We think its more GREEN to go shopping whit your shopping bag save a

lot of treas, and every little bit helps.

Grtjes Toos

That is a great idea!!

Our grocery stores haven't started any programs like that yet -- wish they would.

Hello,

Good for you all to go shopping whit those bags, I'm always a little confused

when I a shop in the USA almost for every item I buy in a supermarket a get a new plastic bag, in Holland we always bring your bags to the

supermarket to put the stuff in that normal and if you want a plastic bag

from the supermarket you have to pay for it.

We think its more GREEN to go shopping whit your shopping bag save a

lot of treas, and every little bit helps.

Grtjes Toos

The USA - land of the double bag! Things are changing slowly for the better. I remember being the Netherlands in 1986 and even back then you paid of new bags or brought your own. The USA is even behind South Africa where they have gone more green a while ago. Some stores in New York will charge for a bag, or give you a discount for bringing your own, but others will look at you like an alien from outer space when you say 'no bag, I brought my own'.

We use our 4 HAL bags, and numerous other canvas bags collected when we go shopping. I usually have one in my backpack (in New York everyone carries some kind of bag everyday) for any shopping on the way home.

We have stores in our area which credit you 5 or 10 cents for bringing your own bag. They have been doing this for at least two years. Not all stores; only some.

Massachusetts is talking about banning plastic bags at the markets. We would be able to bring ones we already have or get paper bags/use totes we bring ourselves. I think it an excellent measure.

We bring our own bags to the grocery store, and each week, it seems more and more people are doing the same. I think it's great.

Trader Joe's sells reusable bags, and customers can enter a weekly drawing for a $25 GC when they use them.

Trader Joe bags are good.... We have 2 TG's near us and they are almost ready to open another.

But I love using my HAL totes. :D Can't ever see my favorite logo too much. ;)

KK...... I think you'd really like Whole Foods. It's a wonderful market.

We had a Wild Oats that I loved but Whole Foods bought and closed that chain....at least in our area. They shut the store I used and it now sits empty. :(

Trader Joes is more limited but has some wonderful things. A few favorite I go there specifically to buy those things.

Two Wal Marts near me do not have much in groceries. It's all the other 'stuff' though they are huge stores.

Sorry to be so OT......

But, I bring my HAL tote bags when I go there!!! Have never seen any other shopper using an HAL tote but many other ones.

Just how do you get the totes? Do they give them out on Board- per person or one per suite?

Your cabin steward will leave one bag per cabin (unless it is two single travelers and then he'll leave two) the night before your first port. They are so handly to use for beach bag or for shopping ashore. Then useful later at home.

The bags are very handy.We use the canvas ones for groceries,and it usually starts up a conversation with the checkout operators as they want to know where they came from.

On the last cruise we also got blue waterproof bags.How long have they been giving them out?

The bags are very handy.We use the canvas ones for groceries,and it usually starts up a conversation with the checkout operators as they want to know where they came from.

On the last cruise we also got blue waterproof bags.How long have they been giving them out?

We do quite a few back-to-back cruises.

On the forst cruise we get thed canvas one and on the second cruise we get the blue vinyl ones.

We have been getting them for about 4 years. I have about 10 of them.

The first blue water-resiistent ones we received were on Rotterdam for Millenium Christmas/New Years Eve cruises. Don't know if that was the first of them but that is the first we saw/received them.

We were posting same time, KK. :)

We always have the same..... canvas tote for the first cruise and blue for the next segment. I really like the blue ones.....but still enjoy getting the others as well. Like you, we have piles of both. :D In our early years of sailing HAL, they used to leave two bags per cabin so they piled up fast cruise after cruise.

Archived